Dora the Explorer: The Movie

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by theswimmer06, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    Oh my god this is so fucking insane I want to see it

2. Ninjanicktf

Ninjanicktf Mushroom Samba

I'm disappointed with how they are clearly disrespecting the beloved lore of this franchise. Her middle name is "the" not "explorer", Boots needs his boots, and the backpack doesn't have a face! Did they even watch the show before making this? smh.

Although seeing Danny Trejo as boots might be interesting.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Droppin' Space Colonies

I dunno, I think Yellow Submarine still wins the 'best simulation of your mind on acid' award.

"Boots don't text"

4. UltraPrimus56

UltraPrimus56 In the ruins of paradise

Isn’t this directed by the same guy who wrote for Flight of the Concords, and directed the last two Muppet films? He has enough potential to make this shit genuinely funny enough to work:lol .

5. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dora with a knife!

6. UltraAlanMagnus

UltraAlanMagnus See ya!

News Credits:
    2:12
    GET OVER HERE!!!!

7. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    Okay not super impressed, especially with the high school angle, but if they keep the tone irreverent and ridiculous like the premise of a live action Dora the Explorer movie, we’re in business.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I don’t understand why this needs to be called Dora. I just can’t take this movie seriously because of that fact even though I love globe trotting treasure hunting stories. If it were it’s own thing, it would still look subpar, but I wouldn’t be so confused as to why it exists. By the way, the plot of this is exactly like The Wild Thornberry’s movie. A daughter of a couple adventurers gets sent to regular school because their current situation is too dangerous. She struggles to fit in, and then she eventually sneaks out and saves the day anyway. Nickelodeon ripped off one of their own movies! The cast appears to be having a fun time though. Isabela Moner is about as good of a choice as you’re going to get for this, and Michael Pena has been good in everything I’ve seen him in except CHiPs. I did laugh at the school security checkpoint scene though because everything in her bag is essentially all of your gear in the new Tomb Raider games. I know it’s standard survival gear, but that’s just the first place my mind went to because I would hope a female led treasure hunting movie would pay some homage to Lara Croft.

• Like Like x 3
  9. HawaiianBro808

HawaiianBro808 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    this movie me of Tomb Raider.

10. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

Somehow I think this whole movie concept would work much better if instead of Dora and her friends being 16 year olds. they made them all 10 year olds. Every line, the gags, and all, they all seem like they had someone much younger in mind. Perhaps even the same actress, when she was much younger.

Now, she just looks weird playing this role.

• Like Like x 2
  11. sideswipe3

sideswipe3 Well-Known Member

So will Dora be rated R JK

• Like Like x 1
  12. Autobot Burnout

So...that trailer looked like Dora the Explorer, Tomb Raider, Indiana Jones, and Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle had a baby. I'm a little disapointed they didn't go full 'yes this was a Nick Jr. show' and have Backpack and Map actually talk (or in the latter's case, actually show up), but I guess that's why there's two other people there besides Diego, to replace Map and Backpack. At the very least they got her outfit right.

I think there's some potential here, but I need to know and see more. Right now it looks like a kid-friendly deconstruction of the 'ruin adventurer' style of film which...we haven't really gotten before, admittedly.

Also, where was Swiper? If we're getting the monkey then I see no reason why the fox isn't in this given he's in every episode by default.

Oh, and WHERE THE FUCK ARE MY LEGENDS OF THE HIDDEN TEMPLE REFERENCES?! I WANT A FUCKING MONKEY STATUE THAT THEY CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO PUT BACK TOGETHER.

13. Prime17

Prime17 Seeker

News Credits:
    With how camp they're going with this, I fully expect her to break the fourth wall at least once in this movie.

• Like Like x 1
  14. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    That was predictable, but self-referencing itself enough that it could be a bit above average.

The lack of Swiper is disappointing. And Dora looks too grown-up, it's a bit unsettling IMO.

Chill, let's hope they use a Hidden Temple easter egg, it'd be fitting. But if they let this film stand by itself it should be okay too. But that monkey statue idea is neat.

15. grimlock_king25

grimlock_king25 Hail to the king, baby

Twitter:
    Is Boots going to talk or did they pay Danny Trejo to just make monkey noises?

16. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :confused2 

17. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  18. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
  19. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    1st time I've seen the trailer. Got to admit, if it shows up on Netflix, I might watch it. LOL at her jungle hillbilly personality when it comes to being in the city.

20. Autobot Burnout

I dunno, unlike Sonic who looked NOT EVEN REMOTELY like he should have, Swiper is litterally just a fox with a mask and gloves.

[​IMG]

In terms of live action adaptation, I'm not sure how they could have done Swiper better - even the blue of the mask/gloves is correct. If anything, the only parts of Dora they havent totally done right so far is backpack and map, and probably because Dora's friends provide enough interaction that a singing map and backpack aren't necessary.

• Like Like x 4