Doomsday

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Omegatron, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I saw Doomsday today. This is one of the funniest movies of the year. It's like one of those weird dreams you have, where things that don't connect to one another somehow do. Or maybe 4 different writers had 4 different short films, got together, and made one long movie of the 4.

Here's my plot synopsis...spoilers ahead: 30 years ago, a plague struck northern Scotland. So, they walled the city off before the plague could escape. One of the last people to escape was a little girl missing one eye. In present day, that girl is now a major in the British Defense forces. When the plague breaks out again in London, our heroine is selected to go to Glasgow, where people have been seen surviving thanks to satellite photos, to rescue the doctor who was last working on a cure, and apparently succeeded. So, she and the team go to Glasgow, where they are set upon by cannibal punk rockers. After most of her teammates are killed (and being offered a serving of the BBQed guy), she escapes with another prisoner, who turns out to be sister of the leader of the cannibal punks. It further turns out that her dad is the doctor she's been looking for. So, they go off to find daddy. They get to the forest near papa's lair, when they are captured by knights on horseback. Turns out daddy has set himself up as king of the castle. Our heroine is then forced to do gladiator-style combat, escapes the castle, and goes back to the woods. In a secret passage, she discovers an array of government supplies, including a muscle car (surprisingly in perfect working order, despite 30 years of sitting in a crate in an underground tunnel). She decides to drive to her contact point, but is beset once again by the cannibal punk rockers- this time in their own motorcycles, cars, and buses. She manages to kill most of them in a violent car chase, turn over the doc's daughter and her one remaining teammate to the British government officials, sends a video exposing said officials' corruption, and goes back to Glasgow to be the new leader of the cannibal punk rockers.

I wish I could write crap like that and get paid for it.

2. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Sounds mildly amusing kinda like a female Mad Max.

3. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'll wait for the DVD and inevitable Rifftrax..

4. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Bad Luck Incarnate

Yeah, thats what I think of when I see the trailers on tv: a Mad Max ripoff

5. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    I don't know but the lead chick is hot.

6. Ogami Daigoro

Ogami Daigoro Blue Lantern Bearer

If it wasn't for the director's previous two movies (Dog Soldiers and The Descent), I probably would have skipped it. But though I would consider it on the whole a bad movie, it was entertaining. You definitely couldn't predict what would happen next while watching it. And some decent action, though edited MTV style where you can't see too much.

7. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Yeah I get the Madmax/Escape from Newyork rip off feel.

8. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    I saw it yesterday and thought it was pretty good.

When I first saw the previews my friends and I mentioned it was the cheap version of Kate Beckinsale. She looks like her but obviously isn't.

It was quite an interesting movie in my eyes. Yes, it did have quite a mad max feel to it, and Escape from... but you know what, oh well.

9. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Glasgow as a apocalyptic city?
    Boy, bet they didn't need any set dressing for that.

10. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This was the most rediculous, intense movie I've seen in years, and echoes action movies of the 80's. I recommend it even for it's impossible scenarios if you in any way like action. Although Rhona Mitra just shows up and does what she's told, and does no actual acting.

11. The_Bardock

The_Bardock ****** of the Minicons

It was good if all you want is abit of action. Story/acting is kind of.... there...

12. Hoolagrin

Hoolagrin Wheelie Rules! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I felt it had a 28 days later + Road Warrior + "the one scene in Braveheart where the Scottish are mooning the English" feel to it. Rhona Mitra is eye candy, but damn, she had nice arms (and other stuff)! Very believable as an action star. A good flick to watch and zone out.

13. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    for some reason i keep thinking that chick played valentine in res evil 2