DOOM ETERNAL

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by ShinGi, Aug 10, 2018.

1. SelectedLime375

SelectedLime375 Luna1 Matrix Magic

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    King Novik: ... for your fight ... is eternal.

The Ancient Gods: Your war against hell ends here.

(Also Sonic Prowlers.)

• Like Like x 3
  2. SelectedLime375

SelectedLime375 Luna1 Matrix Magic

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Beat the first level on ITYTD and it's a rare achievement for Xbox. This one wasn't to difficult demon wise. There's a bit at the end where you're jumping from walls and swinging with your meat hook that was a pain until I found some ground your supposed to jump to.

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Well that was unexpected. That trailer definitely seems a little Hollywood for DOOM. Not that I ever dislike giant mechs fighting giant monsters, but knowing you're undoubtedly going to just be running around killing small demons as normal and all this large scale conflict is just set dressing diminishes it for me. If you could pilot the mech yourself, like the one sitting in the fortress that we apparently never go back to, that'd be really cool.

I also find the Dark Lord donning his own not-as-big mech suit kind of underwhelming. Kinda makes him being an evil slayer a bit pointless, gameplay-wise.

Honestly I feel like I have to convince myself to get this. Part One was just really unsatisfying, with many of the great arena fights few and far between more pedestrian or convoluted ones.

• Like Like x 2
  4. grindcore138

grindcore138 ARF ARF!!!

News Credits:
    I've committed myself to doing part 2 on Ultra Violence, so far it's going better than I thought it would. I think I struggled more with the platforming in a couple parts than the demon encounters, I didn't find it quite as intense as the UAC Atlantica Facility in part 1. The optional escalation encounter towards the end of the level is nuts though, I did the first one which was pretty chaotic, but the second one I decided to move on from when I used up all my 1ups, it was absolute insanity, like a Slayer Gate on steroids

I had a go at the start of the second level and those Cursed Prowlers, depending how much they show up I have a feeling they might end up like Spirits where some people get real pissy about them.

Speaking of Spirits I see they've apparently removed the Spirit Baron encounter in the Blood Swamps as part of the tweaks they did for Ancient Gods, now it's just a Hell Knight, which is super disappointing because I actually enjoyed that fight. I think they should've just added an "Oops! All Zombies" mode instead for the people who complained about it being too hard.

5. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz Pokémon Trainer/WWE Champion

News Credits:
    Avengers Endgame much?

• Like Like x 1
  6. grindcore138

grindcore138 ARF ARF!!!

News Credits:
    I am really sucking shit at the Dark Lord fight, I get the strategy but I just cannot get it right so I'm not getting anywhere. Think I'll take another swing at it tomorrow.

7. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Does that really require a spoiler tag?

8. prfctcellrulz

News Credits:
    In case anyone hasn’t played it yet and doesn’t want to be spoiled

9. grindcore138

grindcore138 ARF ARF!!!

News Credits:
    My game froze during the second part of the Dark Lord fight

*EDIT* Praise be to Doom Guy, there was a checkpoint, I don't have to start the fight from the beginning!

*EDIT again* It is done.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  10. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Okay so I decided I wasn't going to bother getting this DLC, but I figured I'd at least watch a walkthrough or something to see if maybe, just maybe, it looked cool enough to change my mind.

That final boss... that's a joke, right? Like he's literally just a giant QTE and when you stun him literal fucking stars circle above his head and it makes a tweety bird noise.

Damn, DOOM used to be cool, now it's just a cartoon. As if the new enemies didn't kill momentum with their invulnerability states and cheap gimmicks, the boss is just a stoplight. (I finally understand the memes) You'd think the Lord of Darkness would put up more of a fight than a Marauder. He even has the ghost dogs and everything. I'd have rather he be just a big, mobile bullet sponge than this telegraphed whack-a-mole shit. And as I predicted, all that Endgame-level shit was just meaningless background dressing.

What a wet fart to go out on. DOOM 2016 was a high-octane symphony of murder, that fell short only in its lack of continued difficulty curve. Eternal was a mildly gimmicky resource-management platformer disguised as a shooter that had to cheat to be tough, but the core combat was still solid. Ancient Gods is just shit at the wall to see what stuck, and all it left were brown streaks.

Pretty damn disappointing.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Constructor

Constructor Behold my true form!

My God that's pretty much the polar opposite of what Doom was, what an absolute disappointment.
    Yeah, I'm kind of losing faith in ID and Bethesda when it comes to these main properties of theirs. Wolfenstein pretty much shat the bed after Old Blood and Doom Eternal was a massive step in the wrong direction, and the step after that it sprained its ankle.
    At least Quake hasn't been ruined. Fingers crossed that if they DO decide to make a new Quake game, they'll either make a really good Quake 1 game or ruin the Quake 2 series.
    Just don't let them ruin Quake 1.

12. prfctcellrulz

News Credits:
    28C3104A-B25F-4D36-AB1A-18C5FED57A76.png

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:

• Like Like x 1
  14. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    JosukeCoffee.gif

What an update. One new master level, and some lame as fuck repaint skins. Yeah there's next gen performance boosts, but honestly is that worth getting excited over?

15. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

Doom Eternal’s Next-Gen Upgrade Screws PS5 Players
    Luckily

16. InfinityKitten

InfinityKitten Well-Known Member

Mmmm, I like myself those graphic upgrades. Excited to jump back into this game for a new master level.

I have to play through all of this game back to back sometime, there's a hell of a lot of game now.

17. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    I put off buying this for a long time because I bought and then and didn't much like Doom 2016.

I'm glad I picked it up - easily the best FPS I've played in three decades of gaming. I can't put it down. Finished it twice, and just dusted up the last available Master Level last night.

• Like Like x 5
  18. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:

• Like Like x 3
  19. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Doomguy just wearing a paper mask of his own pixelated face is absolutely hillarious.

20. NemiMonkey

NemiMonkey Sad Derpfester Noises

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

Well time to eat a shit amount of crow for this one. Mick's broken his silence after what 3-4 years and the info he dropped with backing evidence, yeah WHOLE different story being told, and quite frankly I'm fucking furious about it. I know insanely long video but Mick did not hold anything back in defense of himself and his reputation.

TLDR- not a full one just what I can remember
    -Nightmarish work hours from the very beginning. We're talking two damn levels worth of in game music per month. Very tight deadlines with very little room for error.
    -Mick was forced to make music blind because he was given either late footage to work with or he had to literally pull it out of his ass because the damn levels hadn't even begun to be built. Guess what the entire thing was a fucking waste of time because the music had to be re-done anyway because who would have thought making music blind was a bad idea.
    -Mick at one point was not paid for almost a fucking year because Marty and ID kept making excuses or brushing him off. Mick had to protest because living conditions had become quite dire, Mick was literally at one point making the soundtrack out of his own pocket.
    -Marty is a piece of shit human being who throughout the entire project was uncooperative at every turn.
    -Marty announces the Eternal OST without even fucking telling Mick about it, Mick found out through news outlets there was even an OST, and when confronted Marty just brushed Mick off with BS excuses.
    -To get anything done Mick literally had to go over Marty's head and e-mail Betheseda directly to get anything done about the OST.
    -That guy at ID who eventually did make the OST was not working on it at an 11th hour thing he had fucking months to do it working as early as I believe the summer of 2019.
    -Mick's input about the music was constantly ignored despite the absolute subpar quality of it.
    -The final straw was Mick trying to make things right so that an actual proper OST could be created and released but was shut down, threatened, and harassed because Marty is a piece of shit human being who didn't want to face the consequences of his actions and just wanted Mick to take full blame for everything.

I know I missed quite a bit more but just summing things up is pissing me off all over again.

Marty's account of events: DOOM Eternal OST Open Letter
    Mick's account of the whole situation: My full statement regarding DOOM Eternal

• Like Like x 4