DOOM ETERNAL

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by ShinGi, Aug 10, 2018.

1. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz Pokémon Trainer/WWE Champion

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    4EDE15EF-4BAA-467F-BDC5-3FE728AD0879.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  2. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Fall Feelings

News Credits:
    How.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Drangleic

Drangleic Banned

Fuck if I know. I've staggered him quick before but it was purely by accident and I don't know how.

I'm going to have to try that setup.

4. NemiMonkey

NemiMonkey Whippin Dem Fungals

News Credits:
    Meh that works, but the Super Shotgun/Ballista works better. Byte Me basically makes them look like imps on his Ultra Nightmare speedrun.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Shockwave81

Shockwave81 Protecting Cybertron from all hostile threats Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    So fast!

6. Gray117

Gray117 Active Member

They tried to make the gameplay a puzzle game, some dip shit played turok on his n64 and was awaiting the day when he could inflict more platforming onto fps games, and some absolute dick hole (perhaps even the whole team?) failed to get to grips with what was kind of cool about the doom slayer conceit and delivered one of the most god awful narrative and hub combos ever devised...

...despite all this, it is still a fun game. Just IMHO could done with better stage progression, less contrived/forced platforming, less flat narration and 400% more evil and menace.

7. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Dukeup Nukhead

News Credits:
    One of the greatest ironies about the original DOOM 2016 is the development hell (pun unintentional) it emerged from, by all rights it should not have been as good as it ended up being. I think Eternal suffers from a little too much development, since you need to master weapon switching at the higher difficulties but it still is a bit too frustrating at times (Marauders and Posession mechanics mainly). I also don't really like where the story is going - frankly I thought 2016's self-encapsulated, open-ended story where Dr. Hayden actually was straight up a cyborg with questionable motives was far more interesting than how it's turned out he's basically just The Father's errand boy which was obvious pretty much from the moment Hayden talks about things in the City of the Damned on a level no human could ever possibly know.

• Like Like x 1
  8. prfctcellrulz

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    9ED3D4F6-6F13-4B99-B21D-B0F866067880.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Awww, that's nice.

So anyway, the DLC for this game honestly kinda sucks. I finally decided to download it and I'm at the "boss fight" where it's literally just cubes that open up with eyes inside, and I think this is really a microcosm of my problems with Eternal. There is entirely too many "pause button" enemies in this game, where the flow of combat completely halts because they just become invulnerable until a certain moment they decide to attack. On the positive side, it's not all bad. Marauders, I don't know if they patched them or I just got used to their bullshit, but I notice their window of vulnerability is larger and they stagger longer, allowing two SS hits instead of one, and I'm playing with slow unwashed console hands.

But seriously, a game like DOOM 2016 and Eternal are all about that freedom and flow. I often wonder why I can be overwhelmed with a million demons backing me into a corner and dying over and over and never get frustrated, but those stupid fucking turrets bring my piss to a boil, and it all comes down to freedom of choice. I choose how to face every normal demon encounter, and if I die I feel like it was my choice that brought me there. I chose to rush in with low health, I chose to backpedal when I should've advanced, I chose to use a certain weapon that wasn't right for the job. The game beat me fair and square, I knew the rules, I was never not given every opportunity to kill when I had the chance, I just wasted it. All in good fun, even if I die it's because I lost.

Marauders, at least the old ones, and seemingly every knew enemy "idea" are not all in good fun. When I lose to them, I don't feel like I lost because of my own actions, I lost because the game had to change the rules to win. No demon from pre-Eternal is invulnerable. Even Archviles, those shitheads, aren't invulnerable, they just throw up a shield. You walk around and boom, they're exposed. But Marauders are literally invulnerable unless you hit them during the eye flash. Not even the BFG or Unmaykr can deal damage. That's cheap, because every other demon plays fair. It's all high damage, high mobility, but they are at all times vulnerable. (even buffed, it just takes longer) But these stupid eye things are not only invulnerable unless they open, but their blasts slow you, making you easy pickings for the Hell Knights and Pinkies. And the turrets aren't much better, because they straight up hide if you look at them. Playing whack-a-mole isn't fun, especially with dodgy hit detection, it just makes me wish I could shoot the podium to kill them. It takes fast-paced, interactive combat and slows it down to a crawl. If they were stage hazards that'd be one thing, but they're often in areas with plenty of other enemies.

And those cube things... there was one moment where I actually put the game down and decided "nah, not playing this shit" and I haven't gone back. The whole Blood Swamp is spent working your way up these two towers to get two halves of... a thing to unlock the Father's key, only for you to then have to fight them for some reason. Okay, fine, that's all well and good video game logic, but after you beat the two halves of the shield two more entirely unrelated cubes come out of the swamp and now you have to fight them. Where did they come from? What purpose do they serve unlocking the Father? You spent a whole level forcing me to get these two things and nah, they didn't matter, because there was already two waiting there. Maybe more, but I decided enough was enough. The DLC had been turbulent, with some shitty platforming and some unfair enemy encounters that, again, made it feel like the game was doing everything it could to restrict my choices and force me to play one way, something DOOM 2016 and the bulk of Eternal proper never did. But the whole DLC I never once felt that I was actually having fun, or that my play style mattered, or that I was at all in control of the action, and I turned it off. If a game isn't fun, what's the point?

It no longer feels like a cacophony of violence where you are the composer. It just feels like the equivalent of playing pretend fighting with your friends and they keep making up reasons to be invincible. It slams on the breaks and doesn't make me feel like I got out-played, it just makes me feel like I got ripped-off. I ended up watching a walkthrough to get the story for what I didn't finish and I don't feel like I was missing much. The most obvious twist in the world, Sammy Hayde's is the Seraphim oh my goodness, and from what I could see more bullshit flying eyeball enemies and then a really lame story reveal where the Lord of hell incarnates as an evil Doom Slayer. (and a naked one, too, not even his own unique armour) How boring.

I feel like they went too Hollywood with Eternal. They couldn't solve the problem of the player being too powerful by the end of 2016 so they just made the game cheat. Less ammo for your weapons, less health and armour pickups, enemies that spent 80% of the fight totally invulnerable. That's just not fun.

10. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    Yeah, the last boss is absolutely fucking bullshit and all just to pull a 'No, John, you are the demons' unironically.

You are on the money with how Eternal is all about forcing the player to come to a screeching halt to fight some stupid setpiece enemy instead of simply being given a bunch of tools in the shape of guns and a chainsaw, being pointed at enemies that aren't completely invulnerable most of the time, and told "have fun".

Plus, 2016 actually had a more modernized horror angle which was really fucking cool and despite being a product of development hell felt far more like a tight package. Why is there a chainsaw on a bleeding edge facility on mars? The game outright admits one of the employees had to smuggle the thing in and sidesteps the actual reason why anybody would bring a normally useless tool. And the lore was really cool, too, once you catch on to how employee instructions read more and more like cult paraphernalia (get your "team tattoo" today!). Much more immersive than the rather dry history lesson lore pages in Eternal.

Ultimately, Eternal feels like trying to force 2016 into being more like the original game what with the more cartoony designs instead of the mutant flesh monsters (honestly I wouldn't have minded if we got a blend of 2016 designs along with the new ones for variety, even if it was just for the soldiers because the 2016 soldiers looked more unique than the generic zombies of Eternal). Plus, Marauders could be fixed if their shields simply had health like shield soldiers, because Doomguy being hardcore enough to BREAK his enemy's defenses...c'mon, that's absolutely awesome. Instead, we have to get the forced shotgun duel at mid range.

• Like Like x 2
  11. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Yeah, I wasn't a fan of Eternal rolling the demon designs back to the more cartoony/less Lovecraftian. The fact that so many demons lacked eyes was creepy, especially the possessed. It felt like something truly alien and horrifying was taking over, rather than just zombies with silly faces. I do like the Tyrant but honestly the 2016 Cyberdemon is just way cooler.Even the glory kill on zombies and the headshot sound effect are flat out cartoon comedy.

Eternal was also really colourful, but IMO it didn't work most of the time. I ended up changing my UI to be red and having the background set to hell just to remind me I was playing the sequel to one of my favourite games. I certainly like the non-hell levels, of course, and the game is friggin' gorgeous no matter where you are, but I miss the redness of 2016. Like the whole game was just as pissed as Doomguy. I even selected the Praetor skin over the new Eternal design for him, but that's just preference.

I tried using the Plasma Rifle against the shield so many times until I realized it was a different shield than all the other energy shields in the game. In hindsight it's obvious since it's an Argent shield and red and all that, but considering the game teaches you to take out energy shields I thought something was glitched.

There should be some way to break the shield, even if it's just one thing like using the meathook. But still, whatever change was made to make that stagger last long enough to get a second SS blast in greatly minimized frustration.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    I mean, there's NO reason the Crucible sword shouldn't be able to cleave through that shit given, y'know, that implies the shields are in fact tougher than the weapon that ended the Icon of Sin.

• Like Like x 1
  13. prfctcellrulz

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
  14. prfctcellrulz

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Official concept artwork and description of a new demon coming in Ancient Gods Part 2

35D8CA55-3B33-4462-959C-D6C1B9538DA1.jpeg

15. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    There has to be a reason to want to kill it quickly since otherwise it's just a reverse Archville in that you kill this thing last. Unless you're actually incapable of identifying higher class demons from each other, avoiding the meatball on legs probably won't be too hard.

16. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Ah, good ol' Eternal, giving you endless reasons to not kill things. Because we all play DOOM to not kill demons. First we have enemies that are invulnerable for long periods of time, now we have enemies that are deliberately unfun and unsatisfying to kill. Just great, just... just great.

Speaking of unfun shit, I finally finished the DLC last night because I literally had nothing better to do. It's been months and I still got a "rare" achievement for beating it, because nobody who bought this DLC bothered to finish it. The final battle wasn't bad, but kind of underwhelming. I will say I don't dislike the spirit mechanic. It's just another buff mechanic (Eternal loves buffing mechanics) but at least it's fun in that you can choose to just eliminate all demons for it to possess, or take the time to microwave it. I'm just so tired of all these enemies that go invulnerable. Three introduced in this DLC alone, and the invisible whiplashes are just annoying. Also the story's kind of a piece of shit, in that Hayden is now just this worthless underling begging for the Father to save him, and the Dark Lord is just an evil Doom Slayer. The only good thing was that intern, who's awesome and should totally be Doomguy's new sidekick.

Eternal really feels like id ran out of tricks, as the only new things they can come up with are buffs or invulnerable states. Nothing that's actually fun to fight, just things that are harder to kill. It's getting old. We now have four buffing types and four invulnerability types, in a sandbox that featured neither until they needed "new ideas." Watch the final boss of ancient Gods be an enemy buffer with invulnerability states, because that's all Eternal has left to offer anymore.

17. grindcore138

grindcore138 桐生会は不滅なり!

News Credits:
    TOMORROW????!!!!!!

• Like Like x 4
  18. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde シン・ブリュンヒルド

News Credits:
    Holy shit-

Wait, what the hell do they mean tomorrow..!? No way, I refuse to believe they'll just drop this tomorrow. :lolol  :lolol 

... Right?

19. Constructor

Constructor Behold my true form!

Well, I wasn't really expecting Doom Eternal to have gone down the road of Warhammer with armies of fantasy/sci-fi soldiers fighting each other in giant battles on top of riding a space dragon.
    So it really is Doomguy going up against the chaos marine version of Doomguy? What an interesting time to be a Doom fan.

• Like Like x 1
  20. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    :jawdropper: HOLY SHIT I HOPE TODD MAKES A TOY OF THAT.:jawdropper: 

• Like Like x 2