Doom 2016

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Quizzical Xenon, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    Hard to narrow down... I like them all on equal levels....

But if I had to pick one of each ammo type(sans rockets, BFG, and chainsaw fuel) the Super Shotgun, Heavy Assault Rifle, and the Plasma Rifle.

2. MaxxieOD

MaxxieOD Jazz is my homebot

News Credits:
    Finished the game finally...and it was just glorious, I absolutely loved it. My mom came and sat by me for some of it, and she was getting into various parts of it as well (she was the one who first got me into the original Doom growing up). She asked if she would be able to play, and I pointed out there's 3 separate play slots, so I think she might be trying it as well, heh.

Ok, some of my thoughts, tho I'll put it into spoilers cause it'll include some of the story and whatnot.

Helluva of a final boss, tho the Cyberdemon gave me way more trouble than the Spider Mastermind. But still a fun fight! I gotta go back and finish finding some of the secrets and upgrades, but that's fine!

I'm probably in the minority here, but I really loved the story, and adore the backstory they put in the game. Even tho it was all in side stuff overall, I liked the story behind the Doom Marine/Slayer and the Night Sentinels. It's interesting how they were able to take the original Doom "story" (what little there was) and change and expand it. Instead of a grunt Marine from Earth who was sent to Mars as a punishment for disobeying orders and trying to kill his commanding officer, we now got someone who's actually from another realm and was part of an elite group of protectors who kinda worked for those elemental wraiths, and he lost his home to the demons. I like both stories for Doom, but I'm also glad to get such an expansion on the Doomguy with a bit more history. I'm always a fan of story stuff.

I am curious tho...I wonder if Doomguy is that man who made a deal with the demons of Hell to get his son back. I need to read the those story things a bit more to piece it all together...it sounded like the son got turned into the Icon of Sin, but not sure...

That ending tho...I wonder where Samuel sent the Doomguy...and didn't realize the Crucible was a sword...interesting...freakin' cliffhanger tho! I can't wait to see how it all rolls next! Will it take place on Earth like Doom 2? Maybe...just maybe...

I was also happy that VEGA got backed up...and it seems Samuel doesn't know you did that...interesting as well...

When looking at the models in the collectible stuff, it's really neat. There's so much detail and movement, so much to look at. A lot of love went into making those models.

I also need to find those end credits in a video...cause they were awesome! Saw some damn good screenshot material there!

I think my fav weapon was probably the combat shotgun...I loved the explosive shot overall, and it was mostly my go-to gun. The Heavy Assault Rifle and Plasma Rifle are probably my next two.

Anyways...I just adored this game...and I'll admit, when I saw the Quakeguy collectible, it made me really want an update to the original Quake too. I was a huge fan of Quake and the Lovecraftian theme it had going.

Doom 2016: It gets all my love...and bullets.

3. MaxxieOD

News Credits:
    Here's a few screens from the end credits...the last screencap is a bit spoilery.

[​IMG]
    So adorable and funny! Go get him, tiny Doomguy!

[​IMG]
    Made to look like the classic box cover! Love it!

[​IMG]
    Chop and slice!

[​IMG]
    Night Sentinels. Nice group shot. I loved the look of their armor, it was both high-tech and medieval looking.

4. MaxxieOD

News Credits:
    Funny easter egg, and it's also one of the secrets in the game. In the level Necropolis, when you see that giant Icon of Sin near the end of the level, you can shoot a rocket into the red rune in the middle of it's head. It'll shoot out one of those cubes from Doom 2 that spawned the demons, expect in this case, it spawns one of the lil Doomguy collectibles, heh. Also makes the same sound effects!

5. agentSAP2006

agentSAP2006 Avatar by Sprite

News Credits:
    Oremor nhoj, em llik tsum uoy, emag eht niw ot.

6. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

input noclip.

7. agentSAP2006

News Credits:
    Damn there are some well made maps on SnapMap.

8. Transquito

Transquito Reach For The Light

Playing it on my new PC and I'm having an absolute blast with it.
    Admittedly I've only touched the single player thus far, but judging by the multiplayer footage I've seen I'd likely enjoy the SP content more anyway.

It runs really well on my new PC at a consistent 60FPS and at 100+ when the framerate is uncapped. I've only encountered one area thus far where it dropped to 50, but since that I've fought even larger swarms of enemies with even more crazy effects on screen without experiencing a decrease in framerate, so that situation was likely just an optimization thing. Granted I'm "only" running the game on the Ultra settings, as my card doesn't have the recommended vram for the Nightmare settings, but the game still looks spectacular on the Ultra settings.

Favourite weapon thus far is hands down the super shotgun, but that hardly came as a surprise :lol 

The Doom Marine is certainly the best protagonist I've seen in a long time, simply because he doesn't give a flying f*** about the story. He's just mad, ready to snap necks and demolish demons. Nothing more, nothing less. Less talk, more action. 10/10 character of the decade!

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  9. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

I'm on the Necropolis level fighting that demon with the club. I thought he was easy and predictable until he started spinning around and shooting out streams of fire. LOL I'll beat him eventually. I made the mistake of starting the game on "Hurt me plenty," so some of the levels are a bitch to complete.

My favorite weapon is first, the super shotgun. I love getting close and blasting those charging demon things in the back when I dodge their rush. *BOOM! BOOM!* My second favorite is the Gauss rifle. I love charging it up and blasting those fat fireball throwers in the face. All that said, there's no greater feeling that getting the Berserker rage and punching everything into crimson hamburger meat.

10. The Barracuda

The Barracuda Retro, bitches.

Yeah, I just beat that guy last night. I got a little frustrated until I figured out his rhythm.
    You need to shoot him when his shield's down and keep dodging all of his attacks. Rocket launcher or the super shotgun in close (not to mention the BFG). One good shot with the BFG and he'll freeze with crackling energy; it'll give you a moment to get in and shoot him, and he'll release some ammo and health. Halfway through he'll start shooting fire but if you stay in between the slowly rotating beams you should be good.

I keep using the super shotgun; just like in the old games nothing compares to it. I rarely use anything else. I love getting in close and getting off a double shot; I can drop Barons of Hell in just a few shots sometimes.

11. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

I guess i'm the only one whos favorite gun was the chaingun, when you add the turret mod it just wrecks anything. Plasma rifle was my 2nd most used, with rocket launcher behind that.

12. The Barracuda

I like the chaingun, especially after all the mods but it can waste a lot of ammo quickly. But if you're staring down a bunch of demons clustered together it comes in handy as a room-clearer.

13. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    Beat the campaign about a week ago. This is easily one of the best games I've played so far this year.

RIP AND TEAR! RIP AND TEAR!!!

14. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

Just finished the game yesterday on the intermediate level. One thing that drove me nuts is getting stuck on a corner when running away backwards... well, that and those little Imps sneaking up behind you and hitting you with fireballs. Still, I had a great time with this game and trust that a sequel is forthcoming.

• Like Like x 1
  15. agentSAP2006

News Credits:
    New update today.

Hell landscapes for SnapMap, I think the first multiplayer DLC, and curiously, a message under the campaign part of the main menu that says "Stay tuned for updates!"

16. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    Updates to the campaign? Hell. Yes! (Pun intended)

17. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

O.O

where is my super shotgun!?!?!?

18. biscuits

biscuits Sin from Genesis

Excellent, that's about all I care about for this game.

19. JohnnyWuFei

JohnnyWuFei ...where do we go now?

20. The Barracuda

I'd love a few more levels for the campaign. It was a little short after all.

I'd waffled on getting the collector's edition of the game with the Revenant statue but as much as I love this, I can easily pass it up. I would love a line of smaller, more affordable figurines of all the monsters (and Doomguy as well).