Don Murphy producer post

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by ErbFan28, Jul 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

What I don't get is the rather insane notion that it's an either or situation. Either you can please the people who had nothing to do with Transformers before the movie or you can please the people who were into Transformers before the movies, but you can't please both.

It's rather odd because the production team on Lord of the Rings managed to please the people who had been reading the books for years while at the same time making the material accessible to people who had never tackled Tolkien's writing style. Some really big changes were made from the book but by being nice to the book fans most people were nice about changes that had to be made so new fans could get into it.

Or take Spiderman. Changes were made for his leap to the big screen but by not having this attitude that the old cartoon fans or comic book fans needed to get lost they made two films that felt like they were for both old fans and new fans.

It just seems crazy to go to war with the old fans when so many other films have shown there is so much middle ground where you can do things for both old and new fans while still making a boat load of money.

2. Stryker055

Stryker055 Trying my best here!

Ebay:
    Jetfire and the Seekers were created with the ability. Sentinel Prime (who was around years after the Seekers disappeared) simply recreated the ability through technology and on a larger scale.

3. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

*Rolls up newspaper and smacks it across Don Murphy's nose.* No!...Bad! Bad Murphy...Ba-No! *Smack* No!...Bad producer, bad.

4. Cryptwire

Cryptwire Cybertronian Engineer/Sniper

News Credits:
    i don't think i will be wasting my money in a new Transformers trilogy if it will still be directed by Michael Bay.

i think giving him the chance for this trilogy is enough, since i still give him credit for making the franchise more mainstream and a house-hold name by pioneering a live-action Transformers movies that no other director would touch. but i think that is how far i will go. i will still remain a huge fan of the Transformers franchise, but if Bay is directing the next Transformers movies, i don't think in all honesty i can further invest in something that sucks so hard that he could not even pay attention delivering a coherent, well ironed-out story and plot, with characters (the Transformers, not humans) who you really could care about.

5. Starscreamownz

Starscreamownz Air Commander

News Credits:
    Yeah make the next trilogy bomb in all aspects because people won't get or want to get a movie about giant fighting animals that turn into robots.

6. Autobot Spike

Autobot Spike Original Gangstabot

News Credits:
    See, I think the problem I have with what you've done here is that you are stating "it's just a poorly done movie" as if it's the gospel truth. No matter how many you poll, or ask, or otherwise inquire upon, you are only coming up with figures, not facts. On YOUR average and by YOUR results, which you ask us to accept you've come by legitimately (and we largely have to accept on your word alone that you've done so), you've concluded that the movie is lacking and is "garbage." what burns me and what spurns arguments to what you believe to be innocuous and statistically supported statements, is that you never qualify your argument with "in my PERSONAL, statistically supported OPINION...," whereby you could foster a healthy discussion rather than a heated argument. Opinion is the right of all sentient beings, so be prepared when you tell them their opinion is null and only yours is the one indisputable truth. The natives JUST might get angry.

-A.S.

7. iceburn9

iceburn9 Constructicon

News Credits:
    The best part about what he said is, "NO REBOOT".

Of course, it isn't entirely up to him, but am glad to know there are people who would rather tell new stories, then to revisit old stories and tell it in a different way.

8. Cryptwire

Cryptwire Cybertronian Engineer/Sniper

News Credits:
    so what happened to all the Seekers? isn't Starscream a Seeker? why doesn't he have this space-bridge ability? why couldn't the Primes, the highest of the hierarchies on Cybertron since supposedly in this movieverse they were the ones who created the Cybertronian race, could not make themselves so that they would have an ability to open up a space-bridge?

9. Seansy

Seansy Me Grimlock say Go Do One

Ebay:
    I see your point with this. But lets be honest, who was hating on who first? I don't think Don Murphy wanted to piss people off intentionally. The fanbase made their judgments before the film was released. And that's that. It's a shame because being open minded, they would see the pros and cons more so.

10. Stryker055

Stryker055 Trying my best here!

Ebay:
    Starscream's Seekers are totally different from Jetfire's Seekers.

The Primes did have this ability, the same as Jetfire's; The Fallen demonstrates it in ROTF when he teleports down to Earth and when he takes the Matrix.

11. Bravemaximike

Bravemaximike Road Warrior

That's pretty much what I came up with. But it seems a little funny that we have to retcon this stuff in our heads in order to live with it and enjoy what's otherwise a headache of a plot device.
    I guess this is the kind of stuff people talk about when they're asking for a "tight and coherent" plot. Maybe if they take more time in the set up of plot points, trim the fat of stupid character goofy wackiness (Leo, Jon Malkovich, any John Turrtoro moment) then we'd get that coherency so many of us would apprecitate.
    I always felt that because of the sweeping background plates they have to add the fx into for the transformers, it causes them to spew out exposition, dump it out like a garbage truck, instead of creatively delivering it at a good pace.

On another subject, maybe Matthew Vaughn for director? That'd be good!

12. hotrodreeves

hotrodreeves Well-Known Member

thankyou. Thankyou for putting into words my feelings exactly ;) 

13. Omegax80

Omegax80 Using a Positive Rifle

News Credits:
    Wasn't that Animorphs?

14. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    I'm expecting a reboot anyway. Just like the shows, the movies need to change things up every so often.

15. igniz1984

igniz1984 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Reboot please, I've had enough of the bay turds. They may satisfy most movie goers looking for a popcorn flick, but is it to much to ask to get a little chararcter development? or at least more than 2 sentences from a bot? Can i haz animated LSOTW direct to dvd?

16. WarDrums

WarDrums Well-Known Member

I doubt Bay will direct a fourth. There will simply be a 4th movie based on his continuity and designs.

17. Krueger

Krueger Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You do all realise his rant was only aimed at the "haters" who post there, and not the whole fandom? Yes, he's right; there are some pretty volatile people who post there. I still post there from time to time and it’s come to the stage where you sometimes feel slightly intimidated to post an even remotely positive comment about the Bay films. There are some dicks on there, with their self-opinionated tit-head attitudes, who just hail you a "****** sheep with no intelligence" if you have anything nice to say about the films. That's not acceptable. So yeah, fans like that can fuck off. I agree wholeheartedly with Don Murphy in that respect.

Its vermin like that who really make me wish that Michael Bay would come out and declare his intentions to film Transformers 4-6 back to back. A part of me would love that.

18. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Bite me. There is nothing that pisses me off more than being told that I am the problem with a bad movie. If your movie has plot holes and people complain about them, that's not on us. You're just whining because some people can't just sit and watch Bay dangle his keys in front of their faces.

If you want to sit down with some of the people who have legitimate complaints and discuss things like length, unfortunate implications when it comes to Sam's character, length, plot holes, poor acting, length, jarring tonal shifts, and length, instead of just making broad generalizations, then I (and the rest of the moviegoing public) will be more than happy to start taking you seriously.

Until then, fuck you too.

The very first thing my 13 year old brother said after DOTM ended was "Wow. That sucked."

There are going to be people out there who hate the second and third Bay films. Not because they're NOT TEH GEEWUNN, but because they're not very good movies.

And they're really damn long.

Both posts I agree with.

19. Regressor

Regressor Well-Known Member

You must take into account that post was made on Don's own message board nad he is addressing the "stooges" not the fans in general. It's a closed board - you can't view it unless you register. It was me who originally re-posted the the message to the s4te forum. - should have mentioned that little caveat right there.

20. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    And what is not coherent to you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.