Dollar General Legends "exclusives" - Why?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Omegax80, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Omegax80

Omegax80 Using a Positive Rifle

News Credits:
    I've been thinking about Dollar General and how they got these Universe Legends to their stores. The paint apps on Bumblebee, Prime, and Starscream are all different, no rubsigns, and some of the Primes and Starscreams come with the extra weapons.

I have been trying to find the Prime and Screamer with the weapons, but always found the non-weapon versions. I asked a guy working the counter, he said to his knowledge the get one box per store, and they do not keep stock like TRU or Target.

My thought is that perhaps these redecos or weaponed legends figures were produced as part of the new Generations line, possibly to be packed into sets like the Ultimate Gift Set (G2 Jazz & Prime w/Legends Motormaster & Thundercracker), and then at some point Hasbro changed their minds, and released these to the 2nd tier stores like Dollar General. Wonder how they picked that store out of other options like Deals, Marshalls, Family Dollar, etc...

Anyone else have thoughts?

2. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    They're in Big Lots too for $5 each.

3. bobbyjack

bobbyjack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you want the Screamer with weapon, try Big Lots. My Dollar General didn't have them but Big Lots did. Haven't found Prime with the sword yet.

4. Omegax80

News Credits:
    Good call. Sadly, it's just a tad wet out there so I don't think I will make it out to my nearest Big Lots.

Still wonder though, how did Big Lots and Dollar General get these figures, and why wouldn't these Legends see a wider release, considering they aren't straight repacks of previously released figures?

5. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Old School Snarkster

News Credits:
    Because they weren't intended for mass market at all. And releasing them might "compete" with similar mainline releases like the Legion class Cyberverse figures.

Since 2005, Hasbro has been producing various products for the "dollar store" market, typically repacks of prior year toys. The dollar store is a HUGE market, and Hasbro has long realized getting their brands into that market is better than ignoring it.
    Since 2006, Legends class figures have been a BIG part of that strategy given their low cost and availability of recognizable characters (which is why the current slate features BB, Starscream, Optimus, and Megatron)

Plus, while not straight reissues of prior versions, none of the decos are entirely new either. All are simply modifications to prior deco designs (BB is from a TRU exclusive, Optimus is from the Takara Chronicles set, Starscream and Megatron are tweaks of their retail releases)

All said, they should be easy to get considering Family Dollar, big Lots and Dolalr General carry them (at least), and the set will probably see shipments for well over a year (the last batch I'm aware of shipped for almost 3 years!)

6. BenjaminXavier

BenjaminXavier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ^^^ what he said. They also have a line of GI Joes and Marvel superheroes too.

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    This hits the nail on the head:

These types of toys are an inexpensive, efficient way for Hasbro to continue getting/keeping their brands out there in the public's view for consumption.

8. Omegax80

News Credits:
    I agree with all this. But read my question closely though. I'm not questioning why Hasbro releases toys to dollar-type stores. I am wondering why new releases are going there now. Typically it's been old legends figures repackaged into new cardbacks, but I am surprised since it seems like a new wave of toys are going to the dollar stores.

This is the best answer to my question.

9. grune7

grune7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah its a simple case of the 2nd batch of these came out after the GDOs modified the molds so the second batch got the weapons

10. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    What I want to know is why there is no sort of warning about this, or any sort of release schedule. Knowing if a Skywarp might come out, or any repaint that's viable for that matter, would be nifty. As it stands, if it wasn't for HoosierDaddy and guardconvoy, we wouldn't have known about these at all.

11. peaces

peaces Well-Known Member

i absolutely love these g1 legends class figures. too bad we couldn't get megatron in gun form though :( 

12. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    Guys, anyone see a Bumblebee with a gun? Or it hasn't come out yet?

13. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Old School Snarkster

News Credits:
    Generally, discount store products are done by Hasbro Direct (who got a little squirrelly with GI JOe by creating new figures with old tooling), and the products themselves are generally perceived to be secondary to what's being done at "real retail".

Sometimes, it seems even the main brand teams aren't always aware of what's being done for that market, so they can't really "warn us" when they themselves only find out very late in the process.

But because they aren't a "cycling assortment" like the normal retail stuff, there is zero reason to expect a repaint or something. If they do a new batch and want to do Skywarp, they will (though, I'm more inclined to think he'll end up in some exclusive like Thundercracker did)

14. peaces

peaces Well-Known Member

the bumblebee has no fingers to hold a weapon. which is my only gripe with the figure. same with the tank megatron.

15. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    Ok, thanks for the info. I read somewhere there are 2 variants of the Dollar Store Bumblebee, they have slight variations in the paint apps, do you happen to have both?

16. Knightsword

Knightsword Fire in the North

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    We did the first time they were released under the Reveal the Shield line, ya should be able to find a few on ebay still.

17. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    They are easier to get than those Silver Decepticon Minicons are anyway - so that's a positive at least.

18. peaces

peaces Well-Known Member

the dollar store version of bumblebee has the autobot sign on his arm. the version that he's taken from has the autobot sign on his upper body. i like it on his arm better. i only have the dollar store version.

19. BenjaminXavier

News Credits:
    The original TRU one has weapon hands, the dollar store one doesnt. The difference in paint aps is where the autobot symbol is on both. TRU: chest, dollar store: arm.

20. BenjaminXavier

News Credits:
    Wait, wait wait... It might be that the TRU clear BB in that pack had weapon hands... I don't remember off hand, but I can check later when I'm home.