Does your opinion on the movieverse afects your toy purchases?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by General Magnus, Aug 29, 2011.

1. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Well of course. I'm not going to buy something I dislike, nor am I going to avoid buying something I like.

2. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Me too, if only to say I had a legitamate offical sold-to-kids toy named Pooplord.

His throne would be Cybertron Shortround, for obvious reasons.

3. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Of course.

I don't like the movie aesthetic, so I've only got about 10 movie toys (both on and off-screen, so I'm counting the likes of Bludgeon and whatnot).

I love Animated, so I've got 4 shelves of them.

Now, that said, I also loved Beast Wars, yet I didn't buy many of the toys from that, because I didn't like many of the toys that were put out, so it's not entirely media driven. It's more that I'm willing to give a line and aesthetic that I like a greater pass on coming up with a quality product.

4. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    The Movie-verse aesthetic is not one I'm a big fan of. I particularly despise Movie-verse TFs with those inscrutable 'it's a (insert vehicle name here) because we say so' Cybertronian alt modes. So yes, it does affect my purchases. The number of Movie toys I own you can count on one hand.

As for whether a character's on-screen performance affects whether or not I buy their toy, I have a thing called 'personal canon'. In my personal canon, Movie Starscream is a defiant badass who can curb-stomp any Autobot bar the most powerful, to say nothing of human opponents. So if a certain character was rather lackluster on screen but they have a neat toy that I feel like owning, I reject the film's portrayal and substitute my own.

5. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

I'm gonna have to say no. I criticize the Hell out of Bayformers, and I always said they can't ever do Megatron correctly for the movies, but I do own some of them. I thought the twins were super annoying, and stupid, but I have both of them from ROTF.
    I buy them bc I think they're decent toys, and not my opinion of them in the movies.

6. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

THIS. I couldn't agree with you more.

7. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I can't say I'm much a big fan of the BayVerse but I do still have quite a chunk of figures from it. I wait until the home release to see the films so I've always bought some of the toys before seeing the movies. I buy figures because I like figures. Even if when I finally see DotM I really hate a particular character in it that doesn't mean it'll affect how I feel about the figure, even if it's one I already own. I've got about twenty DotM figures and pretty much like them all. I got into TF via the toys and that will always be what drives me rather than the screen or comic versions.

8. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    For me it's ALL about the toys first, from G1 until current days.

My opinion of the movieverse movies is a decreasingly positive one.

So, in that sense...to me the toys got better, the movies got worse.

9. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Terrorcon King

This, strangely, is usually my MO for movie toys. Most of my movie line toys are off-screen characters - Bludgeon, 07 Arcee, Landmine, Wreckage, Knock-Out, Brimstone, and the like. Without having character models that they have to slavishly match up to, they end up having a lot of fun with the movieverse aesthetic.

As for the topic at hand, the movie does have some influence over who I buy - for example, Shockwave and Sentinel Prime were both on my 'to buy' list until I saw Dark of the Moon; now, Shockwave is 'only if he's discounted,' and Sentinel Prime can rot in a Target back-room for all I care :D 

10. Blot

Blot The most disgusting of all Transformers.

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

11. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    "Does your opinion on the movieverse afects your toy purchases?"

No the Crappy qaulity of 99% of the line does that.