Does Transformers work better as ensemble movies, or solo movies that led to an ensemble?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by NemesisPrime12, Apr 28, 2019.

1. NemesisPrime12

NemesisPrime12 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In comics, there is a "Spotlight" series for solo Transformer story, but how about for movies?

2. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    I feel like Transformers has always worked better as an ensemble story. Not that spotlight stories can't work, but I don't want them to become the norm for the franchise.

• Like Like x 8
  3. Sablebot

Sablebot #thinkitaintillegalyet

Not yet. . . When there has been a string of TF films that have been really well-made (like The Russo Bros' work in their 10-yr Marvel run), then we'll be able to answer this question. Travis & Christina gave us a glimpse of this possibility. . .

• Like Like x 2
  4. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland Moderator

News Credits:
    No Transformer is strong enough for a solo. Bumblebee only worked because he had Charlie to back him up.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Honorbound

Honorbound Bayverse Optimus was in the right.

Ebay:
    I would say that any Transformer could work with a solo movie if enough effort was put into his characterization. There's nothing in the concept of giant alien robot shapeshifters that precludes solo or ensemble movies.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jochimus

Jochimus Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!

I think the solo movies might work better as "Spotlight"-type one-offs, rather than trying to build a whole stand-alone franchise around one character. Much as I think "Bumblebee" was the bee's knees, I'd still rather see a good Optimus Prime solo spun off of "Bumblebee" than "Bumblebee 2".

• Like Like x 8
  7. killcrites

killcrites Active Member

Ebay:
    Once we get some good ensemble movies that perform nicely at the box office and have characters that audiences get attached to and recognize then we could get a few solo movies.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Galvatross

Galvatross Mask-free zone Veteran

I am of the firm opinion that Transformers works much better as an ensemble franchise, for multiple reasons.

One is that the backdrop for Transformers is that of a war, and wars imply multiple robots fighting. Who those robots are and even their factions can vary of course, but the point is there are still some sort of factions present and, at least a team of good robots fighting bad robots.

Furthermore, it's called "Transformers," plural. Not Optimus. Not Megatron. Not whatever fan favorite or niche character fans think deserves their own movie. Transformers.

Plus, the average general audience member doesn't look at the movies and think, "This Transformers movie is so awful because x-character didn't get any character development, or because y-character didn't talk, or because z-character didn't get as much screen time as fans wanted." They don't care to see a movie where a fan favorite gets all of this focus to themselves. They are looking to get entertained for a few hours. That's it.

Even Bumblebee featured three Decepticons, a couple of scenes with cameos from well known Transformers on Cybertron, and Optimus Prime arriving on Earth at the end.

• Like Like x 3
  9. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    I don't think it necessarily works better as either one. I think it really all depends on the individual storytelling. I feel like Bumblebee is by-far the best-made Transformers movie (maybe one of the best stories in the brand), and it was a solo movie. That's more a testament to the filmmakers than the setup though. I think we're used to Transformers being ensemble stories, because that's how most of the cartoons were. They were that way to sell more toys though, so I'm not sure that's a good metric.

Interestingly enough, most of the people I've talked to about Bumblebee have told me they shouldn't do another ensemble movie, and that they should just stick to movies about individual characters. I feel like we won't know which one works better until we get an ensemble movie with the same attention to storytelling that Bumblebee had.

10. NemesisPrime12

NemesisPrime12 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Isn't it should be in reverse?

11. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland Moderator

News Credits:
    No. No one will even care for a second about Ratchet: The Movie until Ratchet is in several ensemble movies and handled well.

• Like Like x 4
  12. DarkRed401

DarkRed401 Well-Known Member

i think solos can lead to ensemble and vice versa, this doesn't mean every character though. optimus and megs could have solo movies without being led up to previous because they're really well known

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jochimus

Jochimus Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!

I can get behind making decent Optimus and Megatron stand-alones off of "Bumblebee" to build back to a proper full-ensemble TF movie (even though the latter didn't appear in BB - maybe allude to him in Optimus' solo).

• Like Like x 1
  14. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    I'm looking forward to the Optimus and Bumblebee teamup movie (unless they change that idea). It's not really a solo movie, and it's not really an ensemble movie. We haven't seen a lot of "buddy adventures" in the franchise, so it'll be a new dynamic.

15. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I'll go with ensemble just because that's how the franchise is known, as a group of alien robots. Comic super heroes, on the other hand, are already known as individual properties.
    Maybe once characters get popular enough, like Bumblebee, they can try carrying solo movies.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Ensembles are best since that's the way the Transformers' casts classically operate. However, until the movies allow the Transformers sufficient screen time and the writers room to make them more distinct and bounce off each other, focusing on one or even two characters are a better idea.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

In the comic books and cartoons I always liked the big team stories over stories that went too small with the cast or that had too many solo issues or episodes. Once in a while you get a story that works well with a smaller cast but there is just something better when it's more of your favorite characters instead of less of your favorite characters.

The Spotlight issues always felt like the were filling in some part of the history instead of being the big story. While Bumblebee is a good movie it feels like a side story to the bigger narrative.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Tetratron

Tetratron Well-Known Member

I'd say ensemble since it works fairly well in the comics and shows but I'd say the movie should stay with individual focused stuff like BB, or a possible OP movie, until they get director who can do ensemble pieces well.