Does the IDW 2005 continuity handle social issues well or really poorly?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by EvenTeamWhirl, Nov 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    Agreed. There has to be some level of verisimilitude, but there's a line there somewhere.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  2. Superfroakie82

Superfroakie82 New Member

So then why are you unable to accept all this representation of people that aren’t like you? Shouldn’t it all be great and interesting for you to see outside of your own experiences? Why is it all just pandering instead and not just different types of people existing because they exist? I think you’re more invested in your media being “like you” than you’re willing to believe.

• Like Like x 5
  3. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    This thread reminds me of why I don't really visit these forums anymore.

• Like Like x 9
  4. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

This thread reminds me of why it's good to have some snacks handy.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Treadshot 2.0

Treadshot 2.0 Action Master

News Credits:
    It IS a political statement for them to even make art at all, and also for us to publicize it,, because some people believe in eugenics and don't value the lives of people like them. Not just the art's subjective quality but simply the FACT of it and their joy at creating it is a pretty powerful rebuttal to the notion that a person like that shouldn't even exist in the first place, don't you think? (This was in fact one of the explicit rationale behind the founding of the Special Olympics)

It's also very inspiring and empowering to other people in the artist's situation who may be questioning their self worth or even feeling marginalized as human beings to see themselves represented, both within art and among its creators. Because representation matters. Like, it's funny to me you could offer up this great example of inspiring art but fail to grasp its implications. (Another ofthe explicit reasons behind the Special Olympics)

Just like how black athletes, authors and musicians' ability to perform art lent legitimacy to the notion that maybe, just maybe, we aren't subhumans.

ALL ART IS POLITICAL regardless of the authors intent.
    To the extent art can and does inform people's opinions and feelings about what is and isn't "normal" or "praiseworthy" there isn't even a question. The simple act of DOING art may be deeply political, depending on who's doing it. I'd imagine a young girl doing ANY KIND OF art in Afghanisfan may not strike you as political, but I assure you it probably is to HER.

And for those of you confused as to how some folks didn't like IDW1s handling of social issues, but still want more social issues in their comics...its not the PRESENCE of social issues but the way they were HANDLED they're taking issue with. In other words they want a comic that does a better job of _actually tackling_ those issues. (This is part of what I mean when I say I can tell a lot about a person by the character of their criticism... I don't expect people to dickride IDW1 but I do expect some nuance beyond just "OHHH PANDERING TO IDENTITY POLITICS SO IT SUXX")

It's literally laughable how unwilling you are to accept the legitimacy of social issues showing up in comics LIKE THEY ALWAYS HAVE FROM THE START, to the extent that you can't even fathom comics readers wanting to see it done WELL as opposed to NOT AT ALL. That sounds almost like "well the last woman/minority/person outside the good old boys network we hired didn't work out, why would you want to hire MORE of them?" ...It's reductionist thinking.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 8
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.