Does the idea of 'exclusive' have any appeal anymore?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by zackmak, Oct 16, 2016.

1. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    No a fan of exclusives but they sell.
    Look at the Hasbro distribution of the mp line or the the Cw exclusives.

2. GiganGoji

GiganGoji Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I know it isn't a Transformer, but it does go along with "exclusives": While in Japan this summer, I picked up the "theater exclusive" Godzilla figure only available for purchase at Toho cinema locations. It was the same mold as the regular figure, but cast completely in translucent red vinyl with no paint whatsoever. Cost almost twice as much as the regular release. I was at the theater shop when they opened that first day and MAN, it was a MADHOUSE. The employees couldn't bring out the tubs of figures fast enough. Only a few of them actually made it onto the shelves. Some people bought armfuls of them. Looking it up online, it seems to be selling well at 3x the cost (by secondhand sellers).
    I really dig the silly thing, mostly because of the experience.

With Transformers, I do like paint variants for exclusives, but exclusives like the Platinum line just feel like they're milking it. There doesn't feel like a REASON for it to be exclusive. I want the exclusive to relate to where it is. Godzilla figure exclusive for the theater showing the film? Makes sense to me. Target exclusive Leadfoot figure that has the Target logo? Love it. Exclusive Bumblebee where the black stripes are going a different direction and it's at Toys R Us and Amazon and Entertainment Earth just because we needed another use of that mold? Pass.

Not just "yeah, it's expensive because this was the only place to get it" but "sure, it cost more, but check THIS part out". Like those Geoffrey-Giraffe-inspired Optimus Prime figures at Toys R Us Japan? Totally.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    The worst are Walmart or Target exclusives. That's basically then USA exclusive.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Fenrir Zero

Fenrir Zero Permanently Retired (1984-2020)

Reminds me of the day Kizumonogatari: Part 1 - Tekketsu came out at the Toho Cinemas theater near Namba Parks. I was there to see Star Wars in 4D, and people were scrambling around this series merchandise. And the next day, virtually all of their merchandise was sold off with the books and cheaper items being the remaining stock.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bumblebee2000

Bumblebee2000 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If they are a variant sure. If I and plenty of others miss out on a Lego Jean Grey or Combiner Wars Wildrider because I live in the wrong country or couldn't get to comic con that is a different story. I think the Metallic chested Devastator with exclusive head was cool, and an extra sound byte, sword and paint for Max is cool even if I didn't get them.
    Star Wars Hasbro exclusives are almost exclusively the latter so they don't bother me, the more recent ones only having some extra accessories and the Stormtrooper only having a different box is fine without making it any less worthless for people who want to sel- er cherish their exclusive.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    I can accept exclusives if they are a limited release that is available through most online stores for a mark up.
    But the funpub kind of exclusives for wich you can only buy at their store and only via creditcard or PayPal etc is the devils invention.

7. Esteban

Esteban I run alone.

I love exclusives! Only thing I collect now and days.

8. zackmak

zackmak Well-Known Member

I think, in the distant years ahead, when any one of these 'exclusive' figures come up for sale online, the market/selling price will TOTALLY be based off of the toy being 'X' number of years old. Whether it was an exclusive, a variant, a bonus figure that came with a set, a freebie give-away, etc.....none of that will matter. It will only be a footnote to the fact that it's a 20yr old toy, and 20yr old toys are harder to find than a 1yr old toy. An SDCC Titanium Menasor will cost the same as a mass-distributed Titanium figure.

9. zackmak

zackmak Well-Known Member

I doubt there'd be much disagreement in saying that the TRU exclusive price went extreme in 2013 with the introduction of the 'Platinum Edition' series. And their prices completely went ridiculous with the 2014 AOE Platinum line. Before 2013, the exclusive prices were decent prices, if not, dare I say it, on par with regularly-priced non-exclusive figures of the same size.

10. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

I think exclusives add value to the fandom but they have to be handled very careful (IMO). They should follow specific rules for any exclusive to succeed (IMO). These are my made up rules:

1. The exclusive is something that fans can live without if they miss on it, but if they get the exclusive, it adds genuine uniqueness and "specialness" to their collection.
    2. The exclusive is interesting, in and of, itself.
    Optional Rule #3: Every fan has a fair chance of getting the exclusive, even though the exclusive has a limited run.

This is a very hard balance to accomplish. I think we can agree that most of the SDCC exclusives follow the first rule but break the second one.

In my mind, an example of a successful exclusive is something like the Nemesis Prime repaints or a very interesting repaint variant of a character. Or sometimes you get a super obscure character with a limited fanbase can become a good choice for an exclusive. Characters that "should" get mainline releases (CW Ratchet!) should not be exclusives. Some of the more "obscure" characters like Ricochet could be a good choice because they're not super popular. Coneheads should not be exclusives. Some of the old e-hobby variants would be good choices because they were new and obscure characters. And sometimes just having a new and really interesting paint app on an existing character could really be a great exclusive because its not the end of the world if you don't get it but it is special if you do. Metallic paint variants are just not that interesting though...

11. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    I'm a fan of LIMITED EDITION. Getting my hands on a short run figure is pretty cool, IMO. But, ideally, the figure should not be a vital cog to one's collection. As in, you shouldn't make it a Datsun brother or an original trio Seeker, for example. Rather, I'd want black Starscream, green Grapple (Hauler), etc.

As for EXCLUSIVES, they don't mean anything to me. They aren't limited in any sense in so much as the only place you can get them is a single store. ToysRUs Masterpiece exclusives are kind of annoying, though, in so much as they tend to be both exclusive AND limited in number, becoming scalper bait. If only one of those were true, they'd be more readily available.

12. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    I own a few exclusives, i do value them more but only because of there price tag to replace, which means i enjoy them less

13. Latooni

Latooni "HIDOI YO!!!"

I've never been a fan of exclusive anythings, really. It just limits access to figures.

TR Brainstorm, for example. I live in Canada, and the closest Walgreens is apparently halfway across the country. Feels as though I'm at the mercy of eBay for this one, when ideally I could just waltz into Walmart, see him on the pegs and snatch him then and there.

It feels like an exclusive for the sake of being an exclusive. I have the same problem with older Pokemon games and their event-only access 'mons.

• Like Like x 1
  14. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    Exclusive? Nope, I can deal with that. Limited to less than 2,000 or the like? Fuck that noise.