Does the idea of 'exclusive' have any appeal anymore?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by zackmak, Oct 16, 2016.

1. zackmak

zackmak Well-Known Member

I used to get excited in tracking down/owning something that was 'exclusive' (to a store, convention, location, etc.). Basically, I would say something like:

"Wow, I own something ONLY available at Target and no where else!!"

or

"Only a few people (in relation to the entire TF collector world) have the chance to attend TFcon, and I'm lucky enough to be here and buy its exclusive!"

There was a unique satisfaction in obtaining one because of the levels of difficulty/rarity/luck involved in being able to go to that store/event. Not every collector had the same opportunity or 'playing field', if you will.

But that good feeling came if I PERSONALLY attended the store/event.

Fifteen-Twenty years ago, that was the primary method. And there were fewer conventions around too. And I would even go as far as saying that if I somehow obtained an exclusive without attending the store/event, THAT was also special simply because it meant I had extreme luck in finding it in a world where there were not a lot of avenues for purchasing from 3rd parties.

And arguably, having something 'exclusive' automatically increased the value and selling point.

But with anything and everything being available online the last couple decades - where ANYONE can buy the same item from a 3rd party or even the 1st party - the 'exclusive' term attached to an item means nothing from a 'value' perspective. It's no different than saying 'available only at'. And one could rightfully argue that is what it always meant...yes, but the 'appeal' of owing something with the term 'exclusive' has been watered down for me considerably. EVEN if I purchased the item at the actual exclusive location (and there's still that excitement of being there to personally buy it myself, mind you), just knowing that anyone across the world can buy the same item with ease, makes the purchased item less 'WOW'.

With the term 'exclusive', it automatically denotes 'limited number', too, of course, whether it's publicly/physically noted or not. And strangely, I find that something 'limited' has more weight behind it. But ONLY if that number is small or relatively small in the grand scheme of things, AND that number is marked on the package. Having something say 'Limited Edition' or if there is the belief the limited number is something ridiculously high, means nothing to me.

In the end, I know we are dealing with wording/terms that have variable effects on different people, and each person can play it 'up' or 'down' to their liking.

I'll admit that I've been 'brainwashed' in the past to get a figure in which under normal 'mass release' circumstances, I would have never bought, simply because I put value in the 'exclusive' title it held.

But as mentioned above, the world of internet, and many other 'purchasing' avenues, have completely deflated the pizzaz and WORTH of the term 'exclusive'. Nowadays, I'm saying

"I like that figure/item, I'm going to buy it"

It's either you like it or you don't. Period. Again for me, the 'wow factor' of being an exclusive or an 'exclusive VARIANT' alone, has completely gone out the window for reasons mentioned above. I understand toy companies will never stop producing 'exclusives' (and realistically, it is impossible to avoid because events and stores will want/accept something unique to them, or to differentiate themselves from others), but in todays generation of savvy collectors - and especially the seasoned vets - times have changed.

But I will say this, from a non-monetary value perspective, I totally agree with some others in saying that 'sentiment' can lead you to buy an exclusive figure that you might not normally buy either.

Eg. First time visiting Botcon, and you're having an amazing time. So you want to buy their exclusives as a keepsake, or to commemorate the event.

Eg. You drive a Chevrolet Aveo and you want to get the exclusive 2008 Aveo 'Swerve' figure given out at Canadian GM dealerships when taking a car out for a test drive. (Also, just the fact that it's a Canadian exclusive and we rarely ever get just-Canadian items, that would be push enough for me...and it was).

Any thoughts from others?

2. RobotKnight95

RobotKnight95 Unamused and Insane

News Credits:
    Unless it's a good re-imagining of a character I generally don't care. Like if it's just "Night fury/Overcharge/Battlestrike" Bumblebee then I shan't give two scraps. But if it's something like Siren or Minerva from Generations Nightbeat then you have my attention. There's also completion sake like CW Fireflight and Wildrider.

3. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    I hate exclusives. Or the idea of them. I actually own some exclusives.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Kataquan

Kataquan Transform and Rise Up!

I honestly didnt know some people liked store exclusives more because they were store exclusives. Usually I've heard it the other way around.

5. Fallout

Fallout no one can see me cry

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    not really. toys are cool and shit but i'm not gonna like a toy more because i got it from target or whatever.

6. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    Most of the "exclusive" stuff has never been that great. I can think of one or two that come to mind that I truly thought were great. More often than not they're just mediocre repaints that wouldn't sell well in retail. The reason they're so highly sought is because of their "exclusivity".

Store exclusives are a pain. HOWEVER, I do wish Walmart became the hub of Transformers exclusives again. When they got the majority of them I could always find them.

7. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    Yeah but wouldn't making them Walmart exclusives make them even harder to get? Maybe before it was easier but anymore and it seems Walmart is one of the LAST places someone would go to for a Transformer.

On the subject at hand, looking at the 6 years of Fun Pub exclusives I've bought has made me smile. I love the figures and how well Fun Pub handled the brand. Being exclusives just means that my collection is both a little more expensive and a bit more interesting since your not going to find these just anywhere and pay just a bit more. Store exclusives? Eh, not really.

8. MrSoundmeister

MrSoundmeister Bang,Bang Boom!

Yeah, the odd thing is that nowadays when we find Wal-mart Exclusives... It's usually from a Movie line.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Killamarshan

Killamarshan Iacon Tourist

I think some of the choices for exclusives have been appalling - Brainstorm, and the combiner limbs to complete the classic line ups being cases in point. All it's resulted in for me is price gauges for the figures.

I'm more at peace with club and convention exclusives - where they can produce more leftfield and refined choices.

10. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I never liked exclusives. What is fun about something possibly being harder for me to get? Oh, boy, I get to drive an extra 20 minutes for no good reason! What fun!!

• Like Like x 1
  11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP My personal sense of scale

News Credits:
    Exclusives have always been at the benefit of the retailers, never for the fans.

There is no conceivable gain, for us, by having figures be harder to find.

12. MrSoundmeister

MrSoundmeister Bang,Bang Boom!

To be honest, Exclusives tend to end up either things what were originally going to be part of the original line, but nobody wants to pick it up due to some stores not finding it profitable or something.

Toy r' Us being an example of said picking up said exclusives.

Or in Walmart's case as a way to cash in with the movies or put something on shelves for black friday.

Hmmm, are Exclusives commissioned to Hasbro?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  13. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator

News Credits:
    Toy Discussions belong in the TF Toy Discussion forum.... moving...

Transformers General Discussion:
    Talk about Transformers! Discuss your favorite series, from G1 to Animated, to anything from Japan! Transformers toy specific discussion goes in the Transformers Toy forum.

14. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I agree with the term being watered down. Its not exclusive if i can go right on ebay and get it lol. Im really hating it now if i cant find a brainstorm soon.

15. WheelWave140

WheelWave140 Hate's not cool, dudes!

News Credits:
    Store exclusives were never about appealing to collectors, it was a chance for stores to make some extra money and Hasbro to push out some extra product that probably wouldn't work as mass retail. Club/Con exclusives were mostly just a way to make unique, off-the-wall versions of characters (SG and Pre-Beast, notably) and tell crazy stories using old molds.

With Botcon going the way of the dinosaur, I imagine we're gonna see more and more mild-retool exclusives. Unlike SW or Marvel, Transformers don't really have same-character variants that are easy to make with a new headsculpt or something, so things like Brainstorm are probably going to be more and more common.

I do prefer the crazy "Universe 1.0/GDO"-style exclusives because they don't usually interest me, and when they do, it's because they're frigging amazing. Just my two cents.

16. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Well-Known Member

The best exclusives are the figures that should have been main line figures, so I'm not really a fan of them in general. Still, there are some good figures that have a really limited audience and wouldn't get made if they weren't exclusive so they still have their place.

17. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    Never liked exclusivity for exclusivity's sake and can't say that I'd like it any more in today's Soviet-esque retail environment. Retailers should be focusing on how to make desirable products more available, not herding us in to buy junk by dangling rafile tickets in front of us.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Fenrir Zero

Fenrir Zero Permanently Retired (1984-2020)

I never bother with exclusives, unless they are tied to something I am collecting at said time. And even then, it depends on the type of exclusives they are.

STORE = I have a cognitive form of OCPD, which is part of my disability. I ended up ruling that any pieces I did get, including their mandatory replacements, would be the final piece. So far, I had to replace "LG21" Hardhead and "LG23" Galvatron. And I also had to remove some hair-thin packaging debris that was attached to "LG21" Hardhead's packaging and "LG30" Weirdwolf's packaging. The latter was a "collector grade" piece. But both this scenario and the ramifications that follow it are far better than today's trends for this type of exclusive.

ONLINE = I have absolutely no issue with this. If it coincides with what I am collecting, and I have the chance to order it through another source, then I will do so.

BOOK = It is the same with online. And I am also curious to what Transformers Generations 2016 will offer.

CONVENTION = My only beef with this is the aftermarket prices for the TFCC stuff made for BOTCON. Because, again, what I am dealing with before having my pieces shipped off to be graded is both cheaper and a slightly better joy than trying to get these post-convention.

CLUB = I never really bothered with this, and TFCC did a few pieces I would have considered buying in the past.

EVENT = This can be tied to a store, etc. But there have been a few events in Japan that make me wish I lived there full-time.

19. MonaLazaBeak

MonaLazaBeak <Witty saying goes here>

So, I'll say right off the bat I'm not into exclusives. Never bought into the whole TFCC subscription service nor got a Botcon figure. I've just never found the appeal to things of that nature.

Now, limited edition or "rare" items always bothered me, but more of a perplex bother because I just don't get the concept fully.

Here's an example: my daughter was/is into Zelfs, which were a cooler version of Trolls. Popular in Australia and U.K., and only sold here mostly mainstream at TRU. Every series had a rare figure where it would be limited to 10,000 of them; they'd be new molds, not a repaint, so it was a cool thing to collect, but only because of the new character NOT because it was rare, at least to me.

You see, to me, there is no positive benefit to a company to send out these rare figures. In fact, I think it does the opposite. A company spends X amount of money to create the figure. They pack only a number in each case, if at all. A person goes to the store and if it's there, great, if not, the person isn't going to buy another figure they don't want or already have. My daughter never cared she held something of real value because to her it was a toy and she just liked the way it looked.

So, other than a person being able to say I have this one, does it really serve a purpose over the long run?

If you're into it, cool! But, if not, then you get where I'm going.

20. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    No issue with exclusives from me...when I'm chasing a figure...it matters not if its retail...or...exclusive...its a matter of wanting...and...affording...so...