Does the 2007 movie still hold up?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Autovolt 127, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Got bored last night so i just tuned in to CTV to watch Transformers (2007) and wow...it doesn't really hold up that well....to me.

I think its the atrociousness of its sequels might have tainted it for me. I really really loved and enjoyed the first movie since the novelty of a live action Transformers movie was just cool.

Scenes like "I'm glad i got in the car with you" All I can do is roll my eyes....yeah right. :rolleyes2 

As well as how little the robots spoke so little. I have no idea why the couldn't have the Transformers speak in vehicle mode...I'm sick of the cybertronian gibberish i hear and also Starscream having two lines...that's sad. Especially since they had Charlie Adler.

But what I remembered that i liked i still like is the Sector Seven and Hacker subplot. I wish Sam could have been a hacker or something...instead of being some teenager who's trying to get laid. John Keller was an actually smart, resourceful and gets to the point. He just wants to fight for his planet and man he looks cool with a shotgun. Glen, Maggie, Banachek. Why couldn't have they been the characters that returned in the sequel.

Also Ironhide. Ever since last year the pain of Ironhide's anticlimatic demise and its lack of care that the other characters had for his death made me numb to the Bayverse version but man I forgot how cool he was, his truck mode is great, his voice was fantastic and that Aussie accent. loved it. I wish DOTM didn't just decided only to kill him...but spit on his grave while they were at. Ironhide is definatley the only Autobot (aside from Jetfire and Que) I liked in these movies.

Also It was cool seeing the Decepticons as a threat. The Autobots had actual difficulty beating them. It took 4 Autobots to kill Brawl. Blackout though I didn't like how he went out getting shot in the balls. I wouldn't have bothered he should have been in ROTF not Grindor.

Overall It didn't hold up as well but i still consider it the best of the Transformers movies. Now if only we could get a reboot that does this justice.

2. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Seems like it should work the other way... if the sequels were bad like you say, then you'd appreciate the first movie more.

3. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

I enjoyed the first movie when it came out, and I enjoy it to this day, all its negative points aside.

4. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    I think the '07 movie holds up better than both the sequels, personally.

5. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    It's better than its sequels, but that's not saying much. And yeah, I've tried to go back and rewatch it and it's not as much fun anymore. Certain scenes are fun to still watch, but I don't see myself watching the whole movie again.

6. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

Not really. At World's End (and maybe Dead Man's Chest too, to a much lesser extent) tainted The Curse of the Black Pearl a little for me.

TF07 holds up absolutely fine for me. I still love it. But yeah, it might be a little "tainted" when I watch it, because I usually think at least once at the end of it every time that the sequels dropkicked and smashed the ball with all the potential it set up.

7. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Kinda.
    Ish.

8. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    I think I actually get a little sad when I watch the end of the first movie, because that last scene of them all up on the hill, with OP making his speech made me so excited for where the franchise might be going, and then...disappointment.

9. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey Well-Known Member

It's one of those movies that are okay in theaters. You like it. You get it for home viewing. And it's a total bore until the robots show up. Then it's amusing and doesn't really get exciting until the climax.

I can't watch it unless I constantly scene jump, which is what I do with the other two films as well.

10. Heat Guy

Heat Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I watch it at least once a month, the fact that the action scenes are blurs help the cgi not look as dated.

11. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I still enjoy it.

12. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    that's weird to me.

13. Grimlock22

Grimlock22 This is noise

Yep . If any thing it's better now because of how sucky the sequels are

14. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

It's just watching it knowing what follows. That's the best way I can explain it.

It's like, with the Star Wars prequels (only in reverse order), when I watch the original trilogy now I can't help but think of Anakin's descent into Vader and how unsatisfied I was with GL's storytelling of it that Vader as a tragic villain/compelling character isn't as effective as it used to be.

15. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator

News Credits:
    What you say makes no sense if it is supposed to support your ultimate conclusion. All the things you like about the '07 movie and didn't like about the others clearly makes the first movie the best.

Personally, I think the first movie is the only one that was well written and somewhat believable. The others were very much lacking.

I think the first movie not only holds up but is far and away the best of the bunch. As others have said it is incredibly sad how much potential the franchise had after the first movie, only to be wasted.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  16. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I can't watch ST:TOS the same way knowing that Kirk dies by falling off a cliff.

17. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The problem with the '07 is that it shows us just how much villain degradation there is in this series. Back then a single 'con was able to level a whole base, and his smaller sidekick was able to shrug off the attacks of a squad of special forces soldiers plus two aircraft specifically designed to murder tanks. Flash forward to DOTM and the Decepticons are falling like ninepins.

18. Chris James

Chris James Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    PROS

- Autobots were well handled

- most likeable human characters

- the final battle in the city was fast paced and well choreagraphed

- decent storytelling

- Megatron was well done despite being in the film only for 25 minutes

CONS

- The Decepticons were very poorly handled in terms of screentime and character development.

-some awful humor( Bee taking a piss, the donut scene)

- the scorponok battle wasn't very exciting

-Megatron's design, too many random spikey pieces

- The hacker subplot was completely unnecessary

-Frenzy was annoying and had a bad design

- And my biggest complaint, Starscream had two lines........WTF

Even though as a film TF07 is the least insulting of the 3 movies, I think DOTM was the best because of more robot screentime which is all I really care about.

19. Mister Chef

Mister Chef Mister Chef

TF07 is great and is still one of my favorite movies. ROTF is... not so great. And DOTM is good. Not better than the first movie, but still good.

20. cardensb

cardensb Well-Known Member

What I can't understand is why I watch it on TV and tolerate the commercials and scenes cut to make time for commercials when I own the DVD...
    I still enjoy it.