Does movie Unicron really need buildup?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by MrBoombastiqueFantastique, Mar 30, 2021.

1. MrBoombastiqueFantastique

MrBoombastiqueFantastique Banned

Does movie Unicron really need 5 or 10 movies to build up to him? Or he can work as one off villain? The 1986 film was like 1 hour and 20 minutes or so and it handeld Unicron very well in my opinion, so does he really need a build up like Thanos? I don't think he needs it. What do you think?

2. Scarlet knight

Scarlet knight Emergency Food Connoisseur

News Credits:
    I think he needs to be built up.

3. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland

News Credits:
    The 1986 movie is also terrible in just about every way.

The ideal movie universe, IMO, doesn't rely on him as the end-all-be-all like everything else before and instead does something new and interesting.

• Like Like x 8
  4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    It doesn't matter what the proper way would have been - which frankly shouldn't even have been ripping off TF Prime and reusing the flawed 'Unicron is Earth' angle since that ensures you'll never see him in his full sized form a.k.a. really the only significant thing about Unicron - because Paramount was full blown trying to copy the MCU at that point.

Additionally, another fundamental problem with Unicron is there is nowhere to go after Unicron. How do you top throwing down with the single strongest and largest character in the entire franchise? Sure, Thanos got literally erased at the end of Endgame but he wasn't the only truly legendary big bad - Galactus is still a possibility and even being the Marvel version of Unicron doesn't put him quite on the same level as the untouchable Doctor Doom.

• Like Like x 4
  5. MrBoombastiqueFantastique

There are mutiple antagonists they could use in the reboot like Quintessons, Liege Maximo, Onyx Prime, Vok and they could create new ones. I don't know, the Transformers series continued after Unicron, I don't think there needs to be bigger threats like that after they do Unicron. They could reboot again or do something else. Frankly, I don't care about a build up to Unicron, just don't make him Earth. I think a live action remake of The Movie would be ideal, the film can work so much better with a great script.

6. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    I wouldn't say he needs buildup, but it wouldn't hurt, considering building up to Thanos helped make Avengers Endgame one of the biggest movies ever.

• Like Like x 5
  7. MrBoombastiqueFantastique

Yeah, the introduction of Unicron was so halfassed that I wonder if he was introduced later on before filming began. Just the throwaway line "Earth is Unicron lol" didn't feel right. I'm glad the Bayverse is over and they can't butcher Unicron. I had an idea on how to tease Unicron, my Bumblebee sequel would end with Megatron beaten and floating in space and the a shadow appears. That would be a neat post credits scene.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I say if you're not going to build him up, even a little, then he shouldn't be done at all. Unicron has become such a big since 1986 that it would feel underwhelming if he was simply a one and done villain, especially considering his size. He doesn't have the end-all of the movies, he can be like Thanos where he's hinted at and built up to this big event, but there's still more after, just don't make him like most Marvel movie villains where he's introduced and killed off in the same movie.

• Like Like x 2
  9. MrBoombastiqueFantastique

I think two part films could fix that.

10. decepticon seeker

decepticon seeker Sixshot

Every way?Are you sure?

• Like Like x 5
  11. Rodimal Rodimus

Rodimal Rodimus Agent of Unit:E

I think they can at least leave a little hint or two in the occasional installment, while still having certain characters doubt his existence.

Plus, I think they shouldn't have to limit themselves to just TF-associated villains. Characters like Metlar, Baron Karza, and even the Dire Wraiths can prove to be just as much big threats.

12. BigRed

BigRed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would rather avoid Unicron. He is the kind of villain where there is no stake because you already know he cannot possibly win because if he wins the story is 100% over.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Galvatron1998

Galvatron1998 Maximal

News Credits:
    Buildup would definitely help, especially given that he's quite literally the biggest bad guy in all of Transformers. The way TLK went about introducing him was a severe let down and I would imagine pretty confusing for a general audience not familiar with the character. While they don't have to go the Thanos route with him, I feel Unicron needs to be a finale type of character either rounding out a trilogy or a saga.

14. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi woke among sussy soyjak

News Credits:
    My idea: A flashback of Unicron transforming long ago and destroying all its inhabitants to serve as a warning of what he could do to us and the Autobots.

The film's goal is to prevent the baddies from waking him up to achieve that goal. With a clear image of what they can do, we can understand what's at stake with him without having to directly feel it.

15. Liege Nemesis

Liege Nemesis Snarks about old cartoons

Honestly it would probably be more effective if he doesn't transform in the flashback. Save that for the climax of the movie so that the Autobots can think they have a handle on things and then he transforms to robot mode and suddenly things get a whole lot more dire.

Could even go for some cheap G1 fanservice in such a scene by having them watch the transformation and someone channels TFTM Spike and shouts "oh shit! What are we gonna do now?!?!" in the panic

16. ObakaChanTachi

News Credits:
    Oh are we doing a new series now? I was suggesting how hypothetically, though unlikely since Bayformers's cancelled, we could manage him in a TLK sequel by showing the threat of Unicron without actually having to make him transform and... y'know, kill off the entire planet.

17. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    No, he doesn't. We don't need back stories to anything. Look at Star Wars. It was better without the prequels, because everyone imagined something a lot bigger and better from just a few lines of Obi Wan in A New Hope. Or think of how many don't want Primacron.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Liege Nemesis

Sorry, I blocked out most of TLK almost immediately after watching it and forgot that it was a plot point that Unicron was actually Earth :lol 

19. ObakaChanTachi

News Credits:
    No problem. Don't we all wanna forget that shitshow? :lol 

20. Liege Nemesis

No kidding. Whenever anyone asks me about it I say that it was the first of the bayverse movies that I didn't go see in theaters. I was disappointed in AOE so I skipped TLK and watched it at home on TV for free.

And it still owed me my money back by the end.

• Like Like x 1