Does Generations have to be just G1 Classics only?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Autovolt 127, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

I am not a Beast wars toy fan but I agree they were not horrible. I just don't think kids who love the movie and animated aesthetic are going to jump on a transformer that becomes a rat. A two headed dragon beast like in cybertron, sure, but not a rat. The people that would buy him are the few beast wars fans, and then it would warm shelves as if they were radioactive.

2. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

The few BW fans?

3. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

Granted, I loathe the vast majority of the movie toys, so I doubt I have
    any understanding of what newer fans want from Transformers. All I know is I would be all over a well-done Generations Rattrap figure.

4. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

When compared to fans of the modern toylines yes, BW fans are comparatively fewer.

5. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

The keyword being current. If there were BW toys currently then there weren't be so few fans.

6. Agent Adam

Agent Adam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    YES! And I thought I was the only one! I started collecting in between RiD and Armada. The most frustrating thing to me at the time was that the toys for those characters were so small. Ideally I would like scout sized but I'd take them deluxe'ed. Sadly, I doubt they will ever be realized..

7. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

I think it has more to do with the fact that there's no present Beast era cartoon. Generation 1 maintains its popularity because firstly, its the originator of the Transformers so that's the one everybody thinks of first of all and secondly (and probably more importantly), parents who get Classics Transformers for their kids were children themselves when G1 aired. The same can't be said about Beast era fans because simply put, most of those fans are still a tad too young to be parents.

8. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I love beast wars. there,I said it. prolly the best tf line out of g1 that there is, and the only line that even comes close to following the g1 issues, for example-headmasters, targetmasters, pretenders, gestalts=fuzors, transmetals, gestalts, mutants, etc. They didnt have to make a new line for every little gimmick, it was just beastwars.

Oh, and the beastwars cartoon was the best tf cartoon ever made, with beast machines in a close second....IMO.

Let the hatin' begin.

9. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

This is what I meant fo the most part. There is no current cannon for beast wars and the formula of animals is not followed today. Tie in the fact for good or bad, most of the lines and the movies of the past few years stick to the same familiar characters and beast wars diverges heavily and kids today have no attachment. I love beast wars as a show (at least the lasted seasons) but I don't own any of the toys. For the most part there designs are pretty blah to me, because the fail in the disguise part of robots in disguise. My kids and nephews wouldn't walk up to the toy and go "it's a redesigned rattrap!" they would say "a rat? It's a giant rat?" I just see it being a $3 clearance toy like cheetor.

I-phone typing sucks

10. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    ^This but why a New Mudflap? Override and Thundercracker deserve new figures! Armada Megatron as well.

Also the Animated Constructicons (Scrapper, Mixmaster and Dirt Boss)

and "Dispensor". I've been waiting since 2007 to own one!!!!!!

11. shumworld

shumworld Well-Known Member

Just my opinion but I believe Beast Wars SAVED the Transformers franchise. There wasn't "enough" interest in the toy line around the late 80's and 90's in America and Hasbro at the time needed to "re-invent" the toy line since Generation 2 had mixed reactions.

Due to it's small popularity with it's new audience got the attention of the G1 fans, perhaps because it was a sequel to G1. Since BW had NO vehicle type TFs and would never be acknowledge as real robots made the audience demand Transformers have a Truck not Munky. Today because TFs fans both new and old will do whatever it takes to ensure the TF toyline will continue in some form or other.

12. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Transformers is not limited to G1 no matter what some people think, so I think Generations should encompas all the memorable lines that we have. Beast Wars, G1, Armada, all of them could have toys done in Generations. I like comic based characters like Drift (lol wasted space? really?) and Straxus. Actually I prefer those obscure characters that never had a toy as opposed to the gazillion repaints and remoulds of the same character over the years.