Does Generations have to be just G1 Classics only?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Autovolt 127, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I think what you're going to get is a steady stream of quickly-recognizable "heroes" - characters that are recognizable to a young audience who might be visiting the G1, Beast Wars or Armada series for the first time.

Outside of updating the G1 figures - for which we thank you, Hasbro! - I think a lot of this is keeping different "heroes" from the different toylines accessible and available to kids in a toy store. Same reason Star Wars toys succeed from a marketing perspective so well - I have no clue what series/line the Star Wars figures are on at this point, but I'd bet you that there's always a Han Solo, a Luke Skywalker, a Boba Fett, etc. on the pegs every year.

Think about this from a marketing perspective - if kids get in to the current TV show (whether they're watching Animated or G1 or TF: Prime or whatever), they may go looking around on youtube for other Transformers TV shows. They find Beast Wars, Armada, RiD, etc. They want those guys. The first thing they're going to ask is "I want these guys. Mom, can we see if they're at the toy store?"

...on the other hand, obviously they're throwing fans a bone here and there - Straxus is proof enough of that. Whomever else that fits into that fanservice niche gets released - I think that's a mystery until we see news updates.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  2. Miggytron

Miggytron Slag Sucking Saurian

I love G1 Classics, but I'm open to other incarnations of Transformers getting updated toys to make up for past clunkers.

Cheetor was a poor choice to update because his original toy was basically spot on with the animation model anyway. Dinobot on the other hand was fantastic. The Henkei version pushed out my original version from the display shelf.

To finish off Beast Wars, I'd love updated versions of Rattrap, Rhinox and Blackarachnia.

I pretty much sat out all of AEC and from what I recall the animation models were bricks like the toys were, so those were accurate enough. LOL

3. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Moderator

News Credits:
    I'm sure at some point we will see popular characters from every line in Generations.

4. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

RID Spychangers and G2 Gobots. Especially RID Ironhide/Ox

Machine Wars Megatron, Megaplex, Thundercracker, Skywarp, Hub Cap, Hoist

Robotmasters Wingstun, Air Hunter and Wrecker Hook

Those 9 characters could easily come from 3 molds

Armada Sideswipe

Energon Prowl

5. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I feel the same way. Generations should take the opportunity to visit characters outside G1 as well, and for me, I would love the chance to have the toy designers look at Beast Wars. I agree with Tiller that we really need a new Rattrap among other things. The fanboy in me is now compelled to say that I want AIRAZOR too!

RiD and Armada could also use updates. The OP, Autovolt 127, had a good point about the weaknesses of those lines, and they could definitely use revisits.

Of course in the end, people wouldn't mind if it was still a lot of G1, but it would be great to see some other lines in the mix. I like how Hasbro handles Star Wars, they have each wave dedicated to either an episode, a game franchise, the expanded universe, or the cartoons. That way each wave has something for everyone. The idea may not be entirely feasible for Transformers, but something could be taken from there, in my opinion.

6. TfAnimatedfan

TfAnimatedfan Five. Dollar. Headband.

News Credits:
    I think it's about time we start getting updated G2 figures. Those are some toys that could use updates. Guys like Skyquake and Pyro, who had GPS, need toys that won't crumble.

7. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    So it's a good thing the last 2 Botcons happened!

8. ginrai

ginrai lost with no way home.

Any given line will have a limited number of figures in it, I felt that the inclusion of Cheetor, Dinobot and Hotshot were wasted slots that could have been used to present updates of other characters. Were it not for Blurr, I would say that Drift was a wasted space. But since the Blurr toy is so nice looking, and even though its 98% the same toy so different looking.. I'm content with it. But I personally would not be amused if Rhinox got a toy before Wheeljack.

I obviously have no control over what they make, but I certainly won't buy any that don't move towards completely remaking the 84-85 + Movie crew. I'm kind of hoping we will get some repaints or re-releases of some of the earlier ones to capitalize on them re-showing the TV series.. but I kind of doubt it.

the WFC toys I don't really have any opinion on.. to me they are exceptionally ugly.. but they are a toyline for a video game.. so I can understand the reason behind it.

Or You know, toys released were the Hoi Polloi can get them rather than just the lucky few who happen to have the spare money to go to Botcon and toss down 400$ on half a dozen toys.

9. Nemesis Liger

Nemesis Liger Well-Known Member

*raises hand*

I certainly wouldn't mind a few figures outside of G1. I, for one, was very happy to see a "Classics" Hot Shot on the shelves. That said, I'd be all for any non-G1 additions to the Generations line.

10. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    I'd love to see some more non-G1 characters incorporated into CUGverse (hey, it beats CHUG):

More in-show BW characters
    RiD Car brothers (I know the originals are already awesome, I just wanna see Hasbro try)
    RiD Skybyte
    Armada Sideways
    Armada Demolishor
    Cybertron Scattorshot
    Cybertron Mudflap
    Cybertron Override
    Cybertron Signal Lancer
    Animated Bulkhead
    Animated Lockdown
    Some Animated season 3 characters (Wheeljack, Highbrow, Strika, Cyclonus, Brawn, Hot Shot...)

11. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would love an Animated Omega Supreme, even if he is voyager size.

12. ThaConqueror

ThaConqueror Rock! Robot Rock!

If they do that, they should base it on the Transmetal 2 mold so that it can be redecoed into the almighty SKY-BYTE. Or, more logically, do Sky-Byte first then redeco it into Cybershark.

And I second Wheeljack_Prime's list, except replace Mudflap with Override (a more prominent and interesting character).

13. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

Every time I think to myself, "damn, you know what I want the most?" The answer is always "a transforming rat"

Kids will definitely spend their money on a transforming rat, it'll fit right in with what they have seen transformers become in the last 10 years.

14. AlphaPrime

AlphaPrime Neo Autobot Commander

I'd really REALLY like a deluxe sized fully articulated Armada Starscream, he's still my favorite version of Starscream.

15. Kookaburra

Kookaburra Well-Known Member

I second Animated Strika. And Red Alert. But who knows if any more animated style toys will be released. :( 

Hell, as long as I'm wishing, I want world peace and for every single minibot extra in the ASAII to be made from Bumblebee's activator mold. AN ARMY OF MINIBOTS ALL FOR ME!

16. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't see why not. We've had Cybertron, Energon, and Armada include various beast formers. Classics had new molds too.

And to whoever said it: Cyb. Override could have used a much better mold.

17. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Wants:

G1 Trailbreaker
    G1 Motormaster
    TFA Strika
    TFA Hot Shot
    WFC Shockwave
    WFC Warpath
    BW Depth Charge
    BW Rampage

18. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Well-Known Member

This! I love the headsculpt, the sword wing, and the overall aesthetic of the guy. It's only real flaws were the back kibble, the lack of good articulation, and being oversized. They could even make Deluxe Armada Thundercracker first in order to find a unique way to satisfy the fans without pissing off FP.

19. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I really dont think rattrap need a new mold, I think they hit paydirt with the first rattrap mold, and the TM one wasnt too shabby either.

20. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    Oh yeah, forgot about her.

*added to my wishlist on previous page*