Does Generations have to be just G1 Classics only?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Autovolt 127, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Quite a few BW figures could use improvements. Especially because of the mutant masks or early trials and tribulations with ball joints and so on.

2. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

The WFC figures are released under the Generations banner, and Drift is a character from the IDW comics, so... no, Generations isn't all about having "updated" G1 characters getting figures released. I'm sure we'll be seeing non-G1 characters getting Generations figures.

3. RayH

RayH Well-Known Member

Yeah I passed on hotshot i thought he was the biggest waste of a new sculpt imaginible. I passed on cheetor and dinobot as well.

I pretty much stick to collecting g1 related figures only now.

I'm actually not anti-beast wars, i loved the show and used to have all the figures, but cheetor and dinobot on there own with no one else just seemed pointless to me. I do think it'd be cool to to do an actual beast wars remake line, but I'd like it somethings seperate from generations. We only get a small flash of of of awesome figures before the oncoming onslaught of horrible random scrap metal bayformers. I want all the figures to count and not be wasted on crap like hotshot before i have to go back into TF hibernation.

4. Mathius Maximus

Mathius Maximus Well-Known Member

I am not familiar with "generations", but if it's not redux's of a particular series, then what's the point? I thought the whole point of Universe was to combine all media types?

Mathius

5. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Rebranding is common and Universe wasn't very good at covering all of the varying TF series. Generations seems better at it so far since they've incorporated obscure characters with classics and video game incarnations.

6. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

My Generations wants are almost entirely G1 characters. I would like to see some BW characters (Rattrap! Terrorsaur! Rhinox!) done, but otherwise I'm not interested. I'm not saying I'd complain about them being made, I simply wouldn't buy them.

7. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I hope not, I want my characters to be in this series. I would hope with Dinobot going into the Hall of Fame that Hasbro would know that the BW fans are out there, along with other fans. I would buy a Generation Optimus Primal or BM Jetstorm at first sight.

As long as it's G1 tributes, I wont spin a penny on the line. Those are not the characters I grew up watching.

8. SeiberBirdR

SeiberBirdR Sapienbot

News Credits:
    I am mostly into the G1 aesthetic myself. If I enjoy the model I will buy it however. I almost purchased Dinobot because I really liked the character, but the toy just did not look good in my opinion. I grew up watching G1 so it has great influence over my purchasing. When it aired I attempted to catch every new episode of Beast Wars. The big difference between the two is I never bought Beast Wars toys. Then and now I disliked the looks of the toys. Some of the newer lines have had at least some interesting aesthetics that I can get behind, but it would depend heavily on the mold and color scheme. Right now I am loving the WfC and PCC figures, neither of which are G1 in the sense of the original cartoon. Still, I hope they keep a variety of stuff up so that the line stays interesting to more than just me.

9. UKBrawn

UKBrawn No arms just CLAWS!!

As much as I love the original molds I would love an updated RID Prowl, XBrawn and Sideburn. More chunky and less kibble! :D 

10. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm personally a G1'er myself. That's half the appeal to me. While I cherish my G1 figures, its awesome to see these classic characters in a form that isn't a brick. I think that's why the fansproject Bruticus set is so appealing. Its our only real chance at getting a G1/toon accurate Bruticus.

With that having been said, I think Generations really to a degree is to cater to the fandom. Most of said figures aren't related to any ongoing cartoon, so to me, its driving point is making figures collectors want, and that are cost effective/appealing enough that little kids will still buy them. To me, I think Generations should be open to incorporate figures that the fandom really wants, or feels is important to the continuity (something which Hasbro has seemed very careful with its planning ). While Drift is controversial, the fact is that he's a main character (as much as that can be said) in a G1-esque series.

I have no problem with other series being added, with the caveat that said figure is a representative of an important part of the past. While G1 is my main draw, I'd have no problem in seeing completely new toon accurate molds of the main Beast Wars cast from the series. There's a huge Beast Wars base out there, and regardless of the debate out there, Beast Wars is probably the 2nd most important TF franchise/series out there (and the point can be made that its more important than G1, in the sense that it brought TFs back into the open after dying a painful death here). I frankly don't see the iconicness or importance of the other series (RiD, Armada etc) really being enough to warrant their inclusion (with the exception of Unicron and Primus of course) unless perhaps Hasbro wanted to do a wide scale re-release of the RiD Fort Max.

I think the criteria is:

1)Was this character G1

2)Is this a beloved/iconic character

3)Does this figure relate to an iconic/historic moment

4)Is the character part of the Hasbro lore that they're developing. (Because you can bet that once the original 13 are fully revealed, there will be a special series of toys devoted to the 13)

11. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I'm one of the lucky ones - I love G1 AND Beast Wars.

So I'll pretty much gobble up everything related to those lines that I can get. Not fussed about RiD or A/E/C but if it's a cool toy, what are ya gonna? I won't cut off my nose to spite my face by choosing to snub a great figure just because it's not G1.

12. SeiberBirdR

SeiberBirdR Sapienbot

News Credits:
    I would be interested in an updated Unicron or Primus figure. Perhaps in just a straight reissue/recolor but I passed on them before and am unwilling ot pay the upcharge for the current Japanese reissue. A series of Primes might be interesting, but I did not find the Alpha Trion or Vector Sigma figures very inspired. The basic aesthetic behind that mold does not excite me the way that other alien space craft have done. A new Fortress Maximus would be awesome depending on price. A Classics aesthetic FM would be worth a huge price to me. A straight reissue would be fun.

13. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    I personally think it's a good place to modernize a lot of figures that ARE in dire need of updates.

That said, I was looking forward to Hot Shot, due to his oh so less than spectacular original mold. Unfortunately, that didn't turn out so well. And, IMO, Cheetor and Dinobot weren't the ones who should been up first from BW to get the update. Blackarachnia should have been the forerunner to get her to look as close as possible to her original CG model.

And as far as the G1 cast is concerned, all of them deserve it. I mean why not? Comparing their original figures to these new ones, of course they should. And also characters that have never had a plastic counterpart.

14. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Fort Max's main draw is obviously his size. i would highly doubt the feasiblity of a wide scale Fort Max reissue. The figure was what, $90 when it was originally released in the 80s? I can't imagine it being any cheaper to make now while still maintaining his enormous size. A $90 pricepoint toy to me just won't work with Hasbro's way of business. We're lucky we get the Masterpiece toys here at all at a $50+ price point.

If Fort Max has any chance of getting a "classics style" release in the US, I'd suspect he'd either be a repaint of the Cybertron Metroplex mold (if Hasbro went the cheap way) or they'd give him a new very scaled down mold (I'd suspect Unicron/Primus size). If they did the Metroplex route, that would be an automatic do not buy for me. I would be open to the unicron/primus size figure though.

The fact of the matter is that the giant 2 foot tall transforming robot toys are from a past era. Back in the 80's/early 90s, it was almost a race between Popy (who started the craze with the giant Tetsujin 28) and later Bandai and Hasbro over who could create the biggest/most intricate figure. That's not so much the case anymore, sadly.

15. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
  16. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    I would love to see Beast Wars figures in Generations.

Also Armada Starscream.

17. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

18. Eric

Eric Dreadnought of Floof

News Credits:
    Not before I get him first! :p  Seriously, I feel like the only guy who wants this toy.

To answer the OP's question, I think Generations should include updated versions of Transformers from other series as well. It's actually surprising that other than G1, the IDW comics, and War for Cybertron, there's no other series that have characters being considered for a Generations upgrade. In that case, Generations Signal Lancer or GTFO.

19. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

You must not have seen the robot mode from behind...

20. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    G1 needs the most boost when it comes to more articulated figures, though I'd say BW Blackarachnia and Rhinox could use new molds as well. I'm just happy to get figures that WEREN'T 84-86 like Hardhead, Thunderwing, Axor, Banzai-Tron, or Skullgrin. 1987-1990 need love too!