Does anyone really care whether it’s Sideswipe or Side Swipe?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Bass X0, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Is it really that important to acknowledge the space in the middle? It shouldn’t really concern anyone imo.

2. Nemesis Otaku

Nemesis Otaku Why did I un-ironically call myself an otaku?

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I wouldn't imagine anyone getting upset over something so pointless, but I'd be a fool to think someone wouldn't make a big deal about it.

3. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Honestly? Yeah, people will get upset about it. Why? Because it's something you can be angry about, that's really what it boils down to.

Everyone's in the middle of the pursuit of something to be up in arms about, something this unimportant and unnecessary is what floats their boat and makes their world turn.

*shrugs* Nothing you can do, really. *realizes how SAD that is*

• Like Like x 1
  4. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    I tend to run all the names together, regardless of how the official fiction spells it. Knockout instead of Knock Out, Longhaul instead of Long Haul, etc. I just think it looks better, and I like the consistency with the other names (you don't see Starscream spelled Star Scream). There are some names that look better as two words, like Optimus Prime or Ultra Magnus though.

5. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

I didn’t notice anywhere that they had been split

But from my perspective, the way I see it it’s the same crap

If I was going to be upset with anything dealing with naming is when they have to change the name completely even if a legal reasons I would be upset

• Like Like x 2
  6. FAKER II

FAKER II Cheap Repaint

For all G1 characters, I go by their original G1 name. I don't care what the package on the modern toy says. It could say Stinky McFarty Pants for all I care.

• Like Like x 2
  7. CountDrunkula

CountDrunkula Sturdy Beard

News Credits:
    It is unhealthy to obsess over such things...

• Like Like x 2
  8. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    That would be a BotBots toy with that name.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    It's not really an issue anymore, it only affected a handful of toys released between ca. 2001 and 2008:

Hasbro had lost the trademark at some point after Generation 2.
    Go-BotSideswipe_1212931661.jpg

Once they had gotten it back, they used it for a Robots in Disguise (2001) Spychanger, but for whatever reason, spelled it as two words.
    Spychanger Prowl 2 Side Swipe.jpg Tiny Tin Side Swipe 1.jpg Tiny Tin Side Swipe 2.jpg

After that, it got kinda weird: There was an OTFCC exclusive named "Sideswipe" (spelled as one word)...
    OTFCC Sideswipe.JPG

... but the cross-sell on the OTFCC exclusive Roulette/Shadow Striker two-pack spelled it as two words.
    OTFCC Side Swipe cross-sell.JPG

The Armada figure was equally confusing: Originally, his name was spelled as one word...
    Armada Sideswipe front.jpg Armada Sideswipe back.JPG

... but once the packaging had ondergone a redesign for the "Unicron Battles" subline, the name was suddenly spelled as two words on the name insert as well as on the back of the packaging (but still as one word on the character card).
    Armada Unicron Battles Side Swipe front.JPG Armada Unicron Battles Side Swipe back.JPG

The Alternators toy, the Commemorative Series reissue and the Titanium Series figure were all spelled as two words:
    Alternators Side Swipe.jpg Commemorative Side Swipe 2005.jpg Titanium Side Swipe 1.jpg Titanium Side Swipe 2.jpg

Hasbro finally went back to spelling the name as one word for good prior to the release of Revenge of the Fallen in 2009, starting with the 2008 Universe Deluxe figure, and a plethora of ROTF toys following suit.
    Universe Sideswipe.jpg ROTF Legends Sideswipe.jpg ROTF Deluxe Sideswipe.jpg

Curiously, the 2012 re-release of the Commemorative Series reissue for Hasbro's Asian markets still used the "original" spelling of the name as two words despite several other changes to the packaging design.
    Commemorative Side Swipe 2012.jpg

Personally, I spell the name as two words only when strictly referring to these specific toys; but then, I'm pedantic like that. I certainly don't correct anyone who doesn't, and I haven't really noticed anyone spelling the name as two words in discussions not specifically about these particular toys.

Has this ever really been an issue, Bass X0? Or were you just bored and came up with the first idea that sprang to mind?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  10. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I had no idea it got changed...
    WHAT THE HECK?!???!!!??!

• Like Like x 2
  11. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    Don't really care. I call him Sideswipe.

Never underestimate any fandom's ability to throw a tantrum over everything and anything. :D 

@FAKER II :lol 

• Like Like x 2
  12. lordsmurf

lordsmurf Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Sideswipe
    Hotrod

It's not "Star Scream" or "Mega Tron", after all. ;) 

• Like Like x 3
  13. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    While I prefer Sideswipe, I'm not getting bent out of shape of I see Side Swipe.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    See my lengthy response. It got changed many many years ago, but was changed BACK to "normal" more than a decade ago. Really not much of an issue anymore. I don't get the point of this thread. It's like people still being bothered by the fact that Bluestreak went by the name "Silverstreak" between ca. 2004 and 2010.

People may use the name when specifically referring to those particular toys for the sake of accuracy. But when talking about the fictional character, or toys that didn't use the alternate name, I've never really seen it happen. (Okay, Bluestreak was briefly called "Silverstreak" in IDW's comics as well, but that's another can of worms...)

...whereas "Hotrod" is just plain out incorrect. When he doesn't go by "Rodimus", he's been consistently spelled as "Hot Rod" ever since 1986.

It's not "Optimusprime" or "Ultramagnus", after all. ;) 

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  15. lordsmurf

lordsmurf Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    That's because it's distinct. Optimus is a Prime, and Magnus is ... ultra? :p 

I know for certain that it's "Hotrod" in some media in years past (novels, coloring books, something), but I'm somewhat agnostic since it's a proper name, and not an adjective-noun phrase.

When intentional, it often comes down to copyright/trademark, which is why we'll get things like "Hot Rodimus" as well. Other times, it's because there's either not a "canon" (I forget the term, I known it's not "canon", the master rulebook for all things), or because whoever is writing is either careless or plain doesn't give a crap. These all happen.

I refuse to write "YouTube", it's Youtube, and proper name nannies can bugger off. I'm not holding the shift key down extra, and I'm equally not inclined to use seemingly optional spaces in names.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  16. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    I do care, but I often write names wrong, so... *shrug*

17. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Dude, seriously. It ain't worth it. You do you, period. Name 'em whatever you want, if you wish.

Oh, my gosh. My spine tingled, here. It's one thing to post incorrectly in a rush or being ignorant to a word, but knowing it's wrong and letting it ride? *shudders* No! Bad!

18. PositivelyKen

PositivelyKen One Man Gestalt

According to my autocorrect, it's Stars Cream.

• Like Like x 5
  19. Ninjanicktf

Ninjanicktf Mushroom Samba

Yeah, it's really such a minor thing it's not really worth getting angry over. Heck, I didn't even notice until I saw this topic.

20. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    So wait... you're telling me it's not Sides wipe?

• Like Like x 5