Does anyone like Movie Optimus Agressive personality?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by eagc7, Jan 26, 2012.

?

like or no?

1. Yes!

53.3%
  2. No!, he must be like his G1 (or whatever continuty) personality!

17.2%
  3. Mixed feelings

29.6%
  1. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

^THIS^ Oh and by the way, do you think you could do a movieverse-styled Optimus redesign on DeviantArt?

2. Megatron1

Megatron1 Decepticon LEADER

3. Leather Elbows

Leather Elbows Dooper

News Credits:
    I like him being brutal in combat but I don't like him saying stuff like ''give me your face'' or ''you die''. I like him to be violent in combat but show honor in his personality like in the first movie were he was willing to sacrifice himself unlike his ''no please!'' in the third one

4. Mechafire

Mechafire Tarnished Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I love it. I find it hilarious.

5. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's been said before, but watching Optimus kill is like watching Superman shoot someone in the face with a pistol. Completely out of character.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  6. Megatron1

Megatron1 Decepticon LEADER

7. JazzIsBack

JazzIsBack Well-Known Member

superman is some immortal superhero, optimus while not is fighting for not just ours but his own survival

also take into consideration the only kills where he really goes over when its not nessaccary is against the fallen who being the guy who caused the war im sure he had a little vindictive against and shockwave who (if you go by the comics) is the guy who killed elita

its like the other night i was watching taken where liam neeson whose the good guy does some jack baueresque kinda inteeragations or shooting a civilian in the arm, not one person i ever knew who watched that movie had problems with that, he wanted his daughter safe....while optimus wants an entire planet safe

8. Goaliebot

Goaliebot All Makes and Models

News Credits:
    Yes. He's my favorite Prime, personality wise. And if earth ever really were invaded by a brutal, powerful alien race of Decepticons, I want Movie Prime defending me, not the other Primes who would, lets face it, probably get killed being too noble/peaceful.

9. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The difference being of course that Liam Neeson's character was not an established character who abhorred violence and used it only as a last resort. There really isn't a lot of difference between Superman and Optimus Prime. They're both super powerful aliens that have sworn to protect humans and wear red and blue. Neither one is immortal.

The problem that I have with Super Brutal Optimus is that to me he seems weaker. Weaker both mentally and physically. Constantly lashing out like that is not behavior that I'd expect for someone who's in control. For me, Transformers Prime has really nailed the soft spoken strength that I think is key for Optimus.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  10. optimus pie95

optimus pie95 Banned

Same here, If G1 Prime for example was here, his whole not killing Decepticons when the going gets tough and when he's not in a movie would get in the way. Plus movie prime has flames and let's face it, to own a truck like that with flames that sick, never mind be defended by one that turns into a Bad ass is pretty frickin sweet.

Still love G1 though!

11. Splintershot

Splintershot Predacon?? ... Awesome

Mixed Feelings.

12. Goaliebot

News Credits:
    G1 Prime is my second favorite incarnation of him. But he was a bit of a pacifist and gullible due to his overclocked nobility processor. :D 

The closest G1 Prime ever came to Movieverse Prime was in the '86 movie when he went ape-poopy on the Decepticons and went after Megatron to actually kill him. I think he might have done it, if not for Hot Rod's... "help".

13. Una

Una Well-Known Member

I have no problem with the way they did it in the first movie. The fight with Bonecrusher was brutal but fair.

It is when Optimus in the second and third movie started to kill in cold-blood and something outta a slasher movie to make him look like a badass action hero for mainstream auidences. Also, the fact that these two movies contradict what Optimus in the first movie did.

I said mixed feelings because it is not the agressiveness. It was how he killed his enemies.

14. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I'll let it be known that the scene where he shoots his erstwhile friend's wife in the arm was, to me, the only flaw in an otherwise perfect movie. I realize that the friend was in league with the enemy, but goddammit, that innocent woman didn't deserve being shot.

15. Cyber Star

Cyber Star Well-Known Member

Yes, because he actually gets shit done unlike G1 Optimus. But Armada Optimus will always be my fav incarnation of him. :D 

16. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

If I understand people correctly 300 and the Rambo series is what war is really like while Band of Brothers, Saving Private Ryan, and Hurt Locker is just Hollywood making up stuff about how soldiers act.

17. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

Ash, you're over-simplifying things a lot here, Movie-verse Optimus never acted as bloodthristy as a Spartan, all cases he killed someone would have been perfectly justified in warfare.

Protoforms and genericons? It's a war, you are supposed to kill or be killed. Why does he deploys such brutality? They're thirty-foot tall war-machines.

Demolishor? He was a pile of steaming metal with a talking head [hell, his voice cackles and sparks come out of his mouth when he says "The Fallen shall rise again"] Optimus gave him a mercy shot.

Megatron? He comitted more crimes against human rights and crimes of war than the entire Nazi Army combined [said crimes woud be punished with death on any army], in any martial court, he would be punished with death.

Sentinel? Guilty of treason, crimes of war [attacking civilians] and crimes against human rights [attacking civilians AND attempting to enslave humanity], same case as Megatron: He would be punished with death.

In short, Optimus does exactly what people do in the war, it's only over-simplified because there's no Cybertronian Judiciary System anymore.

18. Sideways77

Sideways77 useless lesbian

News Credits:
    Why can't there be a normal 'no' answer? There's always some crap added to the existing 'no'.

Anyway, no I don't like it. It makes him as bland as Jason.

19. Goaliebot

News Credits:
    Well, us movieverse fans are very, very stupid you see, so we don't understand those "smart" movies and we just want stupid action and NASCAR and such.

In all seriousness though, I hated Saving Private Ryan for how it juxtaposed such realistic cinematography and terrific acting with such Hollywood hack DRIVEL in the plot (the same damn one German comes back somehow to kill them all?).

I believe we have a pact with movies. Up front the movie says "here's what I'm selling" and we either buy it or we don't. Aliens said "there are space marines and a whole pile of Aliens" and I said "sold!" and that's what it gave me. Transformers said "giant transforming robots wail on each other and stuff blows up" and I said "it's a deal!", and that's what they served up. Saving Private Ryan said "realistic war movie!" and I said "let's do it!" and then they pulled a switcheroo with the plot and gave me hack crap. Boo-urns.

20. Ruthie

Ruthie Well-Known Member

I don't understand how anyone can view as a bad thing a warrior-leader exhibiting aggression toward a brutal enemy bent on destruction and domination. Granted, in a cartoon aimed at 8-year-olds it can be inappropriate, but for a movie targeted at an older and wider audience, it's more than apropos. In fact, it would flip suspension of disbelief on its ear if Optimus responded in any other way.