Does anyone hate the idea of a hasbro cinematic universe?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by decepticon seeker, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Furnace

Furnace Ant-droid at a picnic

I'm generally not a fan of crossovers, especially those that happen in a main continuity of a given TF iteration. With the Hasbro Cinematic Universe in particular, it seems to me that we wouldn't get a natural melding of characters and concepts, but an unnatural imposition of other properties into the Transformers world. Heck that's what the Justice League film felt like and those characters were supposed to connect! In the end, cinematic universes are hard to pull off where the crossover potential is already provided for and I'd rather not have future Transformers stories being weighed down by a bunch of dead 80's toy franchises.

• Like Like x 4
  2. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    I wouldn't mind it so much as long as it is done right and very well written. Unfortunately, cinematic universes can be very hard to pull off with either bad writting and/or poor box office killing the Cinematic Universe before it gets started. Disney/Marvel captured lightning in a bottle with the MCU but, on the flip side, the DCU fizzled and the so called Dark Universe Universal was trying to set up was dead on arrival with the poor returns from the recent Mummy movie.

Transformers 2007 was a good movie but each subsequent movie had issues. The first GI Joe movie was ok and Retaliation a little better. And if you count it, Jem was...yea... Now Hasbro did turn a corner I feel with the Bumblebee movie. Before Hasbro attempts their cinematic universe, I would see how they build on the Bee movie with their next TF movie and see how well Snake Eyes does first. Then if those do well, then maybe think about connecting them but not before they can be consistent with decent to excellent movies like Marvel.

3. PrimeSmokescreen 04

PrimeSmokescreen 04 Member

Considering cinematic universes are always a disaster.... yes I hate it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rodimal Rodimus

Rodimal Rodimus Agent of Unit:E

I doubt they'll even get a PR film off the ground.

Warner Bros own DC, and Paramount currently own Hasbro/Allspark

Exactly.

But how about those who do understand the prep work.

If it shares its universe, then it'll be considered one.

You'd never know.

If they actually even make a PR film.
    I think Bumblebee is simple enough to help set a launchpad.

At this time, for all we know, they probably are thinking it through and through.

Such as?

Maybe so.

I heard about that, yeah.

But apparently you care enough to comment on it.
    More interesting stories like?
    Tons of ideas? such as?

Does the Bumblebee film suffer from this? hmm?

Hey, they could a origin-style story about the founding of both Cobra and GI Joe. Have it be set in either the 60s (a nod to when the original Joe figure was released), or in the early '80s before B-127 landed in '87.

Have happened?

But didn't Bumblebee work?

2 decent? I guess Bumblebee is one, but what's the other?

There doesn't have to be a big crossover movie per se, just little hints of a possible coexistence.

They can be their own thing, and shared something of a continuity, right?

Didn't they say Bumblebee is the start of a "new storytelling universe" or something?
    Also, Warner Bros didn't make the Dark Universe, Universal did.
    I also honestly don't get the hate against the MonsterVerse particularly.

Like I said, Bumblebee worked, didn't it?

Could work actually.
    Also, I find it interesting how Marvel made comics based on Rom, Micronauts, GI Joe, Transformers, Inhumanoids, and even Visionaries.

Who says there has to be a big crossover movie per se?

I'm sure they'll pick the right people in charge, like Travis.

Fair enough on that.

The only thing I give Bay kudos for.

I doubt many people would be that interested in over 500 character spinoff movies.

I think Cyberverse could help set the grounds.

Right.

Like what material?
    Like they say, 'less is more'.

I'm sceptical on the notion of 'character spinoffs', since the Bumblebee movie was essentially lightning in a bottle.

Was Bumblebee jumping on the bandwagon?

Didn't Bumblebee work? I think that could be a good start.

Like what movie interests you?

I'm smelling a lot of cynicism round here.

I think MonsterVerse did best.

Ironically, Marvel did comics based on TF, Joe, Rom, Micronauts, and even Visionaries and Inhumanoids.

Examples?

5. Smokeyoreo18

Smokeyoreo18 *snap* Yup, that’s going in my cringe compilation

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Even though I like the DCEU, their attempt at copying marvel completely failed, the Sony spider man movies, the mummy movie ( 2017) , and transformers

6. decepticon seeker

decepticon seeker Sixshot

The snyder cut will save the dceu.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Smokeyoreo18

Smokeyoreo18 *snap* Yup, that’s going in my cringe compilation

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Even though I’m excited for it, the flash movie is basically a reboot

• Like Like x 1
  8. Furnace

Furnace Ant-droid at a picnic

Your sense of smell does not deceive you. Usually, I try to stay optimistic about things, but I've fallen hard out of love with the concept of cinematic universes.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Honorbound

Honorbound The Working Hermit

Marvel was the only one to really pull it off - everybody else who's tried to imitate them has gone down in flames.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Plus there was a failed Robin Hood cinematic universe, a failed King Arthur cinematic universe, a failed attempt at a monster universe before The Mummy with Dracula Untold...2010s Hollywood is littered with cinematic universes that didn't happen.

• Like Like x 1
  11. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave The Fox

News Credits:
    I commented on it because it's one of the relatively few movieverse discussion topics right now, and I had thoughts on the topic. The OP asked if we hate the idea, and I answered. It's not supposed to be a thread for only people who like the idea.

As for ideas...there are plenty. They could do an adaptation of Beast Wars, the IDW comics (maybe something like MTMTE), a World War 2 movie...the possibilities are endless. If you find the idea of a crossover super interesting, that's fine. I'm just saying I personally don't care for crossovers, and would prefer the resources that would go into making it go to making a Transformers-only movie. If they could do it well, I'd absolutely be open to it. Just saying I'm not particularly attracted to the idea in-theory.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

There's no point in showing at BBee movie.

A movie that started as a part of the failed shared cinematic Bayverse (the idea torpedoed by the execution, no less), then it was hanging in a weird place of not being a reboot, or maybe being one... No one was eager to clarify it for a while. Still is a Frankenstein of a movie cobbled together of two cinematic periods of the franchise, on top of it rebooting and addressing only the TF franchise.

Was there anyone successful with the idea, except for Marvel?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Technically Star Wars, I guess, now that they've branched away from movies about Skywalkers only.

And maybe Kevin Smith.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Venixion

Venixion Evil Dust Bunny-con

News Credits:
    @Rodimal Rodimus

I personally thought the first GI Joe movie was decent. I didn't feel increasingly confused and annoyed throughout the whole film, accompanied by wtf-am-I-looking-at?

That could partially be because I remembered Joe less then I remembered TF.

Hell, when it came to live action films of things I barely but fondly remembered in my childhood, I'd say Fat Albert was far more enjoyable then most of modern Hasbro's schlock.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  15. misterd

misterd Multifaceted nerd

I just want to salute the most quoteful post ever.

16. misterd

misterd Multifaceted nerd

Well, there was the Universal Monster films, and Toho/Godzilla. The Fox X-Men (X-Men, Wolverine, New Mutants, Deadpool), which was its own thing before the MCU. And the "Conjuring" universe of horror films (Conjuring, Annabelle, the Nun, La Larona, Crooked Man). Maybe you could argue Alien vs Predator (it did well enough to have a sequel film, and its had comics and games for ages). On TV there was Homicide and Law and Order (the Munchverse), and the CW Arrowverse.

When it comes to films, I think a big difference between those that are successful and those that are not is that none of the successful ones started as shared universes. All the other examples you cite failed to get off the ground in part because they overburdened their first films. No reason a team up movie can't launch a universe - it worked for X-Men - but it has to work as a standalone thing first. Iron Man was made with an eye towards a larger MCU, but that was mostly confined to the Fury post-credit tag. If you turned off the film at "I am Iron Man" you'd never know they were building something bigger.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Rodimal Rodimus

Rodimal Rodimus Agent of Unit:E

Even Transformers?

I still have my optimism.

Generalising much?

This is why Untold should've remained the start.

Did I say otherwise? or are you putting words in my mouth?

I doubt they'll do that WW2 film as intended, if even at all.
    You want me to be realistic about it, I doubt a lot of people would be that familiar with Beast Wars or any of the IDW stuff.

Didn't they say it's the start of a storytelling universe?

MonsterVerse,

Invisible Man 2020,

Just a few.

And even then, the sequel trilogy kindof declined in quality.

Okay...

Exactly, thank you.

18. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

So what?

They also said the same about TLK.

See how well it turned out? It's still Paramount...

First modern take on the shared Hasbro universe was in IDW comic books. They tried to jump the bandwagon too. Spoiler alert: they were rebooting everything not so long after.

Be optimistic all you want if it's what you prefer to believe into. The track of record points to the opposite, though.

• Like Like x 2
  19. cybeast

cybeast Well-Known Member

Cmiiw, Monsterverse didn't actually do really good. I mean, I personally love it (ESPECIALLY THE BURNING GODZILLA SCENE WHERE HE CURBSTOMPED GHIDORAH). But it didn't do really good, and Godzilla vs Kong is probably the last movie we got for it, at least for a while (Let's hope it won't go into a reboot).

Invisible Man is actually a separate film from Dark Universe now (which has failed even before it started, proof that you need to build up your stand alone film first before incorporating them into a universe). It was going to be a film in the Dark Universe, featuring the same organization from The Mummy, but changed into a stand alone film after the Mummy bombed (to no one's surprise).

• Like Like x 2
  20. Honorbound

Honorbound The Working Hermit

The Universal Monster films couldn't exactly be called as successful, Godzilla's just one franchise with King Kong woven into it, and Alien/Predator are only mildly successful at best, and an outright flaming dumpster fire at worst. The X-Men movies are a single team with spinoffs, not separate characters that then come together, like with the MCU. The CW Arrowverse comes closes, and it's a TV universe, not a cinematic universe, with the tradeoffs therein.

Your point about the failures frontloading the first films and not having the patience to take their time, however, is spot on.

• Like Like x 2