Does anyone hate the idea of a hasbro cinematic universe?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by decepticon seeker, Oct 14, 2020.

1. JPMadman79

JPMadman79 Maximus

For the most part agreed.
    Might be cool to see lil Easter eggs tho.

• Like Like x 1
  2. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

I think it COULD work... However they do need to actually make a good Transformers movie first before they start doing crossovers with other franchises... and leave Power Rangers out of it.

At most they could have a G.I. Joe crossover... which also needs to actually have a good movie... but to be fair... I never liked G.I. Joe in the first place so actually making a movie I like out of something I could care less about is going to be kind of impossible. To be perfectly honest, they shouldn't be making a G.I. Joe for someone like me because I'm going to hate it no matter what they do. They should make the movie for people who actually like that franchise. I'll watch the crossover if/when that happens because I like Transformers but I don't give a crap about G.I. Joe by itself and I never will.

I don't think anything else would really work... unless they take advantage of other properties they've gotten the rights to and start doing something with those. Like Go-Bots, I'm pretty sure they own Dinozone now, those are already very similar to Transformers, they could be other teams of Autobots and Decepticons lead by someone other than Optimus and Megatron. That would allow them to make crossovers really easy.

Power Rangers... HELL NO! My Little Pony, also no. Just cause Hasbro owns it doesn't mean they'll mesh well with Transformers.

3. JPMadman79

JPMadman79 Maximus

I kno I'm going a lil off topic but GI Joe COULD have a Bumblebee moment. The movie that came out wasn't terrible b/c it was GI Joe. It just wasn't fun.

I've been going back watching all kinds of different old cartoons with my kids and I gotta tell ya GI Joe holds up better than most. Especially the original 5 part mini series.

Overall pretty inclusive too for an 80s cartoon. Multiple female and minority characters way before the words inclusiveness and diversity were the buzzwords every one wanted a piece of. So many characters. There was really someone for almost everyone. And if there wasn't you could make up your own character and send off for em via mail. (seriously)

Honestly that was one of the 1st things that rubbed me wrong with the movie. Where were all the memorable characters?

You got a Waynes bro playing a race swapped Ripcord? No one remembers Ripcord! He wasn't a big character.
    Where's Stalker? Where's Roadblock? Hell, where's Doc?
    Idk man, kinda went off in left field there. It happens.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rodimal Rodimus

Rodimal Rodimus Agent of Unit:E

It wasn't delibarate.

Maybe TV shows, live-action or animated.

Ironically, Marvel made comics based on Micronauts, Rom, G.I. Joe, and Transformers, and were pretty much responsible for creating the characters and lore we all know and love.

true.

And they did, with Bumblebee.

No one saying there has to be an obligatory crossover.

Who said otherwise?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Honestly, I like to think of Fast and Furious 7 as a MASK movie in spirit because of how vehicle-heavy all the action scenes are to the point you have a giant bus with hidden machine guns in the undercarriage and a helicopter that launches a hunter-killer UAV.

The irony is that the actual masks probably aren't as relevant anymore given you can't really have people driving around all wearing futuristic haz-mat helmets.

That said, there also was Hobbs and Shaw where you had a superpowered cyborg supervillain with a transforming motorcycle and that film didn't take itself seriously in the slightest and made it all work as a result. Maybe if it was just the bad guys who were implausibly superpowered with haz-mat helmets and the good guys fought them with MASK vehicles...there could be something there. IIRC the director of the FATF franchise was even tapped a few years ago for a MASK film.

• Like Like x 3
  6. JPMadman79

JPMadman79 Maximus

How come nobody ever talks about a Spiral Zone movie!?!?
    If you aren't familiar do yourself a favor and YouTube the intro.
    That's an 80s cartoon that could easily be a blockbuster if adapted well.

7. Cliffjumper

Cliffjumper Least insane TF fan

News Credits:
    I do.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rojixus

Rojixus Celebrating 40 Years of Transformers!

I discovered that cartoon two years ago, I still can't get the song out of my head.

AND NOW MAY YOU NEVER GET IT OUT OF YOUR HEAD EITHER!

• Like Like x 1
  9. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

No they didn't. Bumblebee is a Prequel pretending to be a reboot. They need to make an actual reboot that has ZERO connection to the Bayverse films.

The very first post in this thread.

10. Arrogant Arachnid

Arrogant Arachnid Banned

great, this shit again

• Like Like x 4
  11. Rodimal Rodimus

12. JPMadman79

JPMadman79 Maximus

So good.
    Song remains the same but not the same visuals I remember.

Here's the one I remember. Shows em rescuing a zone-ified kid and the big zone field transmitter.

For anyone not familiar, a synopsis; (if I remember correctly, been awhile)
    A (government?) scientist working on a pacification method with military implications, once successful, goes awol and launches a coordinated sneak attack against the world.
    Large portions of most continents are engulfed in a "spiral zone", a dome of mind altering energy emitted from these creepy transmitter things that turns anyone in range into a will-less slave.
    The main bad guy altered his and some flunkies DNA and basically mutated them to withstand the effects of the zone so they can rule.
    What's left of the world's main political superpowers discover an ultra rare mineral / metal / mcguffin / what have you, that is the only other thing that can shield someone from the zone's influence. So they make special suits but there's only enough material for x suits so each nation sends thier best soldier to join the Zone Riders. A strike team tasked to go into the zones to try and take out the generators and save the world.

Your basic scifi, plus post apocalyptic war zone, with zombie-ish elements added in.
    Pretty cool stuff. Some good side stories too.
    I think one of the guys on the team had a son lost in the zone so it was always a distraction for him, battling but searching for his kid.

Man I went off on another non transformers related rant.
    Don't kick me out there is no fanboards for spiral zone....
    :( 

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  13. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

I am confused by the post... The link suggests you disagree with me but as I said the Bumblebee movie is a prequel pretending to be a reboot. It was originally planned as a prequel, it was made as a Prequel for over half of the production time, they intentionally left out Megatron because it was a prequel, included Sector 7 because it was a prequel, included Bumblebee scanning his 70's beater Camero mode from the 2007 movie at the end because it was a prequel. At some point they thought, maybe this should be a reboot instead except in order to ACTUALLY be a reboot they'd have to scrap everything they already did up to that point and start all over from scratch. Obviously they weren't going to do that because of budget reasons, they were too far into the prequel project to just scrap everything they already did. And they went back and forth with it's a prequel, it's a reboot, almost the entire production. Only after the movie finally came out did they finally decide to call it a reboot. That's not a reboot. If it had been planned from the very beginning as a reboot we would have Megatron in the movie, we would have more designs like the 5 minutes on Cybertron through out the entire movie, we wouldn't have any mention of Sector 7, and we wouldn't have Bumblebee's ugly ass Bayverse face!

The ditto comment suggests you agree with me... cause that's literally what ditto means... so which is it?

14. JPMadman79

JPMadman79 Maximus

I find it both hilarious and more than a little ironic that on a transformers board it seems you are suggesting that something can't... Change? Lol.
    Of all the silly things we debate I find this one very silly. Can't it be both? It was going to be a prequel. After the reception they changed their minds and decided to call it a soft reboot. It's a preboot? Idk.
    Gonna go sit in my old guy chair and talk about how in my day there was no such thing as a reboot.

15. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

Things can change... but within reason. A Prequel that still looks like a prequel despite calling it a reboot isn't really a change. It's like one of those "modes" that everyone realizes is just a half way point between robot and alt mode Hasbro decided to call a base for some reason even though it doesn't actually look like anything. If you going to change, change ALL THE WAY... None of this half step nonsense.

That's a loaded question... I mean it depends... The Star Trek movies are both a reboot and a prequel but that involved time travel in the plot to explain the new time line. That's also the case with X-Men Dawn of Future's Past, and Terminator Salvation... I think it was Salvation... I actually don't remember now... the one with Matt Smith that made John Conner a Terminator paradox. Anyway... in all of these events Time Travel was part of the plot making them both prequels and reboots at the same time. Not the case with Bumblebee.

Yeah that's not really how that works. I mean technically Age of Extinction was already trying to be a soft reboot but still taking place in the same universe and it didn't work. Neither did Bumblebee. Soft reboots suck because the whole point of a reboot is to start completely over not to continue in the same universe.

Actually there was... but they use to be called remakes... and they use to wait about 20 years or more before making them. Now days if a movie doesn't work they usually reboot it the very next year.

16. Rodimal Rodimus

I heard some people call Age of Extinction a "soft reboot".

If you saw the actual comment I was replying to, you'd know who I was agreeing with.

True.

So you're saying we should just ignore the BB film entirely? Seems like a waste of effort.

First Class anyone?

One could argue that The Force Awakens is a "soft reboot" too.

To me, a remake refer to a new version of an old original film, like King Kong '76 and 2005.

17. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

First Class wasn't a reboot. It was never suppose to be a reboot. It was simply a prequel. Dawn of Future's Past is the first movie in the reboot time line which specifically uses Time Travel to explain away changes in the new time line... though doesn't explain how Patrick Stewart is still alive in the old time line despite dying in X-Men 3.

Essentially all the future scenes in that movie were meant to take place after X-Men 3. All the scenes in the past were taking place after First Class so that movie exists in BOTH time lines but every movie that came out after this is now a continuation of a new time line that ignores the first 3 films... and X-Men Origins Wolverine.

That's a SEQUEL not a reboot. Though if I we're going by the vague description of what a soft reboot is... Every trilogy could be called a soft reboot. But a real reboot is essentially a REMAKE... set in an entirely different universe... not a continuation of.

If you really want to go there Batman Returns could technically be a soft reboot because it's almost a new universe... except it's actually meant to be a sequel to the Tim Burton films... It really shouldn't be a sequel because almost all the characters were recast... and Harvey Dent not only scarred half his face but the normal side turned from a Black Billy D Williams to a White Tommy Lee Jones. How exactly is this a sequel? I don't know but it is.

Which is also what a reboot is. They're practically the same thing. The only difference is the amount of time between the original movie and the remake. They use to wait decades so that most audiences would forget the original version even existed before remaking it. Now they start working on remakes almost immediately after the original movie bombs in the box office.

Also with old remakes they weren't always bombs, they often remade movies that were already good to begin with. And some times the remake would bomb when the original didn't.

Now days they only remake movies when a previous film was a critical and financial failure. And for some reason instead of remaking old classics they're now making sequels to them. *Cough*Marry Poppins Returns*Cough*

Away... there is very little difference between a remake and a reboot, some people even use them interchangeably cause they mean practically the same thing. And you'll notice there is no such thing as a soft remake. They either went all in or they didn't do it at all. So why are soft reboots even a thing? Either you go in all the way or not at all.

18. Arrogant Arachnid

Arrogant Arachnid Banned

upload_2021-2-11_23-9-46.png

yeah not like this franchise is known for re using characters and designs and shit over and over again for different universes or anything​

19. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    So its kind of like squares and rectangles. Just as how all squares are rectangles but not all rectangles are squares, what you're trying to say is that all reboots are remakes but not all remakes are reboots?

And to answer your question about soft reboots, those are essentially attempts to reset a franchise without being overt about it and losing any of the audience in the idea you have to start completely over from the beginning. AoE is a fine example because aside from Prime, Bumblebee, and Megatron/Galvatron, none of the important characters from the previous film have any significance whatsoever besides being dead or killed off, meaning you don't really need to have seen the first three films to get as much as you possibly can out of the film since even Lockdown can't explain the ulterior motivations for him being on the planet in the first place.

20. Rodimal Rodimus

So if the BB film is always a prequel, why does it ignore the WW2 stuff?