Does anyone ever get on your case about displaying your collection?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by MonkeyBusiness, Aug 26, 2010.

1. red4

red4 Banned

Ignore them, or throw their own flaws in their face. The way I see it, your friends are ignorant and narrowminded. I'm not trying to insult your friends, but it's the simple truth. When they look at your toys, they only see children's playthings. Personally, I don't play with my toys, and I pay good money for them. I keep them displayed because I think they look awesome, and because they're symbols of my favorite characters. They are no different to me than a movie poster, autograph, or other awesome piece of memorabilia. My toys are works of art.

If you tell them that, and they laugh, it pretty much confirms how narrowminded they are. As if framed paintings and marble statues are the only forms of art you can collect and display in your house.

2. igniz1984

igniz1984 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :lol  you just described my old apartment!! it was unbelievable the number of bottles my roomate would keep. One day when he was out I recycled them all:ev:  He was so butt hurt, he said I destroyed his "collection" and he was going to do the same to mine lol

3. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My now-ex university friends were unbelievably untolerant of my collection, but also they were pretty crap friends so I ditched 'em. If you have friends that belittle you for your hobbies then chances are they're not worth having. Find people that your support your hobby and share it with them, it can come from the most unexpected places! Case in point, I'd just brought most of my collection back from over the Atlantic to my house in Bolivia and had put a few of them (maybe ten) out on the piece of furniture where we have our TV. My father-in-law comes in and sees the robots - initially I feel ashamed as he stares at them closely, then he turns to the box where I have the rest of my collection and says, "do you have many more?"
    "Yes," I mumble, going all red-cheeked.
    "Great!" He beams, "they look really interesting. You should take all of these DVD cases off of the shelves so you can put more of these robots up. DVDs are boring and these are far more interesting to look at. Oh, and put them in fighting poses as well. They look boring standing still!"
    So utterly bewildered, and with his help, we pack away the DVD cases and replace them with a battle of epic proportions.

It can come from the most unexpected places, but there are people who love and support our sometimes rather-hard-to-understand hobby. Don't lose faith, you're not being embarassing. :thumbs2: 

4. chapsy

chapsy Well-Known Member

My wife kinda gives me grief cause she doesn't have many toys to display, and mine take up a good chunk of our living room space, but she likes them nontheless.
    My parents and grandma think it's a waste of money, but I've gotten more responsible with my spending in recent years.
    Aside from that no one I know cares about my collection. Sounds like either someone was drunk, or they lack an understanding of your interest in collecting figures and automatically associate it with what they already know: nerds collect toys.

5. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    when my wife and i bought our new house, she tried to make a no toys in the living room policy... so far, it hasn't worked at all... though, if we're having people over i'll generally move them back to my toy room just cuz drunk people and toys together generally means my toys get fucked up... and I honestly try not to have too many in the living room anyway, but my newest stuff usually stays out for a few weeks... currently PCC is all over our stereo (which we rarely use)

if your friends have known you this long, and don't realize that TF's are part of who you are, then they aren't really your friends... but it could also just be the alcohol talking a little bit more... one of my wife's friends went off awhile ago one how adults who collect barbies or love disney (two things my wife does, and loves) are really immature and don't know how to grow up... my wife basically called her out on that and her friend realized what she had been saying... most of my friends collect toys of some sort, so its never been a big deal... best of luck though mate...

also, this is true

6. SpicyRichter

SpicyRichter Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Here's you're problem. Most fratboys I know are goofs with a few exceptions. If it ain't sports memorabilia, then it ain't manly enough!!

All of my friends think my collection is super badass

PS. I put some seperation in, in that I don't put any toys or si-fi posters in my bedroom. I find chicks generally like it when bedrooms are a little more 'adult' ;) 
    But in my office I have a shelf of my classics, and in the living room I have some nice, classy looking display cases.

7. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I like how everyone stereotypes other groups in this thread while defending our collecting group from being stereotyped by outsiders. People may not understand our collecting, but that doesn't make them, or us weirdos, just into different things.

Hell, my friends give me shit about collecting, am I gonna ditch them for it? Hell no, they are great people who are into other things. Almost seems like most people in here are looking down on others for the same reasons they don't want others to look down on them. One of my buddies has 10 dirtbikes, I am not into dirtbikes and question why the hell he "needs" ten, cause it ain't my thing, should he ditch me as a friend? No, we have other common interests and he is a solid dude.

8. DeltaEcho

DeltaEcho The Last Gunslinger

News Credits:
    Ive never really had a problem like that. all my friends think my TFs look cool and my girlfriend wants me to display all of them instead of just the few I have on a shelf. To tell the truth I took more crap from guys in grade school about my collecting than at any other point in my life, but even then I just ignored it. I like what I like and I can spend my cash on what I choose, just like everyone else. Sure, I could be like a lot of my friends and spend my money on beer and cover charges for clubs, but Ive never been one to follow the crowd. Besides, Transformers last significantly longer than a case of beer, so its a smarter investment :thumbs2: 

9. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

no one gives me crap about my toys.

10. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    I think it depends who you are shagging. If I was bringing random yahoos back to my place every weekend I would probably have my TF's displayed discreetly, if I'm in a steady relationship then the toys tend to over-run the entire house.
    The solution? A toy room with a lock on the door, you can always tell people you stash your dead prostitutes in that room so people think you're normal, because collecting toys is obviously weird to some people.

11. withprecision

withprecision Well-Known Member

i just have one bookcase in my room with about 30 or 40 toys on it, a lot of people i hang out with think it's a little odd, but they're cool with it because they're good friends. if your friends give you grief about it, just tell them to smoke your pole! they're clearly not good friends, so their opinions aren't worth anything.

12. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    Nobody with any sort of major part in my life "gets on my case" about my collecting, because when I meet someone that doesn't approve of it I break off contact with them.

13. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    no but my parents get on me for buying them. saying nick your 16 you should be saving for gas money and not buying baby toys. but they don't know the resale values of these things. though i probably won't resale them .