Does anyone ever get on your case about displaying your collection?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by MonkeyBusiness, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

I suggested getting rid of them if they weren't joking around. My friends and I joke around all the time with each other about things we each do/like, but it's all in fun and we all know it.

The OP made it seem like his friends were actually serious about it bothering them, to which I say, yeah, if they can't deal then find better friends. Good friends, real friends, aren't going to try and change you/convince you to stop doing something you love because they don't "get it" or it "embarrasses them" (oh, please).

I wouldn't waste my time on friends like that if they keep it up.

2. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

I've never had anyone get on my case about me displaying my TFs, because I very rarely allow anyone up into my room.

Even if someone did get on my case about it, I will not hesitate to tell them to frag off. It's my hobby, and if they don't like it, tough.

3. IceWilly

IceWilly Technobot

I will echo some things that have already been said. Certainly what you choose to do with your time and money is your decision, and they are silly for commenting on it. Chances are they don't really have any thing they care about or hobbies (really a shame) so they won't understand it.

That said, if you are over 25 (I am 26 fyi) you really need to carry it a different way. If you have your toys strewn about and hodgepodge, then certainly it will look childish. It just looks like you are piddling away money on childs play things. If you actually embrace a collection and its clear that you aren't just being childish its different.

Most people on here do display them in a very juvenile manner. Certainly its their choice, and in many instances it doesn't matter. That said, if you want people to somewhat understand their importance to you, you have to give them reason to. Display them classy, and with purpose versus just being a mess. That means: Nice shelves, not overcrowding them. Possibly glass and lighting if you can swing it. Don't have EVERY single one out there always, make it look tasteful. No one will hate on any hobby, as long as it is done tastefully.

Also these things are for you, and it looks childish to have much of ANYthing out in family spaces once you are an adult. Keep them out of your living room and your bedroom. I know no one wants to cater to other people, but you really aren't. You are just separating your hobby from other parts of the home, which is where the differentiation from juvenile to adult will be apparent.

this guy has a great collection. It may be a bit crowded in places, but its done with care and purpose. That goes a long way.
    [​IMG]

my personal favorite, and how I will eventually have them displayed. Not crowded, not overbearing. Clean, recessed and to the point. They aren't in the way, but they can be appreciated. Love it.
    [​IMG]

Its a collection, not a shelf in a child's room. Thats where it may look juvenile.

4. ShockWave_AZ

ShockWave_AZ Shock and Awe

News Credits:
    If its a frat bro just say, "yeah well your face is embarrassing" and give him a fist bump ...

As pretty much everyone else has said just blow them off. If they dont like it then too bad for them. Some people cant be happy with what they have or who they are in life.

5. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    If it was sports memorabilia, they wouldn't say anything, but it's the same thing.

Actually, sports are worse. I've never heard of a Batman fan putting a Superman fan in the hospital (like a group of Sox fans did to one Cubs fan).

Look at the commercials that are playing on TV now: Eagles fans "daring" to watch their team in a Cowboys' diner, and their drinks are seasoned by dirty rag water.

I've never known a G1 fan to trash a Bayformer fan's house.

That's pathetic.

We like robots that get into wars with each other. They like muscular men in skintight clothing getting sweaty & rolling around on the ground with each other. Oh, but we're the losers. :rolleyes2 

Tell them to grow up, buy some toys of their own, and to go f*** themselves.

6. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I do that to Beast Wars fans.

..and I live in Philly.

7. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Tell them that their mothers were embarrassing. In bed.

8. Foster

Foster Haslab Unicron Backer #10 Veteran

News Credits:
    Quick question. Do any of these guys who gave you shit decorate their own place with empty liquor bottles on windowsills or shelving?

9. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    :lol 

10. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

What I want to know is how this subject came up and what you said in response.

11. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

Well, for anyone who doesn't care for the toys, then we can just go to the living room and have a beer while watching football or UFC. I have a nerdy side, yes. But one interest doesn't entirely consume me.
    See, I was thinking that his stuff was contained solely in his room. So he'd only be cockblocking himself somewhat (toys on my shelves never hindered me any, I don't think many girls noticed or cared).

But yeah, if his crap's breaking out into the common areas, I could maybe see an issue.

12. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Y'all need to get off dat TFWIKI and cop dat Madden.

13. Moriarty

Moriarty = ♀

News Credits:
    Congratulations, I just choked on my drink. :lol 

As for the actual displaying thing being discussed...it's okay if you have your own house to have a massive display and take pride in the way your TFs are positioned etc., but if you're in a situation where you only have a bedroom to yourself (like at college/university, or in my case where I'm living at home) then it gets a bit more tricky. My TFs are scattered across my desk and bedside table because I have nowhere else to put them. :|

14. enkidoamark

enkidoamark Well-Known Member

I have a "man-cave", the walls of which are covered with shelves and carded TFs. Any time we have people over, I show off my room. I know some people think there's somthing wrong with a grown man collecting this many toys, and I don't give a shit. It's my house, my money, and my life. Actually, I have a display case in my office (I'm a Deputy District Attorney) and people (including a lot of cops) generally think it's pretty cool. I'm sure there are those who think differently, but I guess they can sense that I don't give a shit, because noone has said anything yet.

15. Hippie Trooper

Hippie Trooper Bert the Stormtrooper Reivews

Let me say it with pictures....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Those are older pictures, I need to take some new ones, and I dont wanna go pic crazy on one post so I'll attach the rest at the bottom, but you get the idea. And that's only what I have room to display. But anyone who would have anything negative to say about that is not the kind of person I would have at my house in the first place. I am a husband, a father of two, a provider, a volunteer and a veteran. My wife and I's costuming hobby, and my collecting hobby come LAST to my family and they're needs. As long as you do your hobby responsibly, no one has the right to say anything negative to or question you, it's none of they're business. I've had people ask me "why?" and I usually respond "everyone has to have a hobby, this is mine".

I've had people really try hard to make an issue of it, especially when I was in the ARMY, but if you dont give it any power they'll eventually drop it. And in my experience the average "guy" only likes to make issues and poke fun at our kinds of hobbies while in the company of other guys. Usually when they've been one on one they'll see your stuff and say things like "cool" or "I remember this one!" and be all excited about it, but get two or three more guys and suddenly you're the dork.

Pay it no mind, dont give it any power, and find people you share interests with to spend time with.
    Hope that helps, we're here if you need to talk.

Later

Attached Files:

16. Foster

Foster Haslab Unicron Backer #10 Veteran

News Credits:
    That GAH costume is fucking epic, dude!

17. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

If you don't give a shit what people think of your TF collection, then your man enough to have one.

18. Hippie Trooper

Hippie Trooper Bert the Stormtrooper Reivews

Thanks! Gotta give complete props to my wife on that one, made completely from scratch without patterns with only the season 1 DVDs as reference!!! She's the best! Here's one of my favorite pics ever!

[​IMG]

Later

Attached Files:

19. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I like the proton pack.

20. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Almost everybody wastes some money on things far worse than toys. They really have no right to complain.

Luckily no one bothers me about it and i've never felt ashamed to admit that I love transformers.

Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My (transforming) Munky.