Does anyone ever get on your case about displaying your collection?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by MonkeyBusiness, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

See the ninja sword and bleach swords add to the nerdiness unfortunately. These are items associated with us nerds, throwing stars mounted to the wall will only add to the nerd like image even more. Anti-nerd items, such as a big block chevy coffee table, or a Budweiser beer lamp, a poster of a half naked woman, and Foosball table or dart board with spent beer bottles next to it will fit the conforming male stereotype and fool the friends. :lol  I just described my buddies house perfectly.

2. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    If you're living in the same house then yeah your dork lair could be cramping their style, ruining the vibe of the crib and cock blocking your buds. Toys are primarily made for children so their presence is a total mood killer for a lot of people. To most folk it's no different than say finding a My Little Pony doll in your bed.

3. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    I've never copped a questioning over my collection. My family has accepted them, my mates think they're pretty damn cool & the girlfriend luvs having a fiddle with them. It's all sweet! :) 

I couldn't have said it any better myself. They're your toys - not theirs. They need to mind their own f#cking business & butt out of yours. period.

4. CyclonuS_ZerO

CyclonuS_ZerO Uni-con

News Credits:
    I went to a horror movie convention with some buddies, and my drummer (who is now one of my best friends) went with us, and we weren't as close then. There was actually a dealer selling some Transformers and I bought Commemorative series Sideswipe and Smokescreen. He was like...dude that's really...gay/lame, He gave me shit about it then, but now realizes why Transformers are so important to me. Now he jokes with me about it and calls me a dork, but he's a dork himself really as we both share serious love for Star Wars and now Rush. If you have friends that are giving you SERIOUS shit about collecting, kick them in the balls and tell them to F*#& OFF. Just shows they have no souls...if such a thing exists. In short (not really that short though 8) ), FTW....collect Transformers.

5. Moriarty

Moriarty = ♀

News Credits:
    Yep. "Be who you are, and say what you think, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Roald Dahl.

Seriously, it's your personal space and you can do with it what you damn well like. If your friends have that much of a problem with it, then they're not true pals.

6. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I can understand it, because it is a little strange for a bunch of us 30-somethings collecting toys. When I got back into it, I probably talked about them a little more than I should have. I am more than willing to admit that it is a somewhat strange hobby to have, and not really "grown up".

I like my Transformers as much as the next guy, but as I get older and into the hobby more, I really think it is important to have a clean display. I don't play with the toys, but I like collecting them, but I don't want to look like some goofball with a bunch of toys scattered everywhere. If your display is clean, displayed nice, and not everywhere, I see no real problem with it.

I always tell people who ask, "everyone collects something, my hobby is just a bit nerdier". They seem to understand that a bit more. My mom collects things like teacups, certain glass, shaddow pictures, bosum (sp?) heads, etc. They are all nicely displayed in her house much like I think my hobby should be. If they are scattered around, they will make your life look like a clusterfuck, if they are clean and organized, you can get away with it as a hobby.

I don't get defensive with people who "don't get it" cause lets face it, it is a strange hobby. Just accept that 90% of the people out there won't probably understand that, but that doesn't make them bad people or you the wierdo. Just different perspective on things.

7. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

are you kidding? anytime any of my siblings friends come over, or my friends, or what ever, they all WANT to see my collection, they think it's the coolest thing ever. hell even my parents do :lol 

but they always ask why i never have any he-man stuff. and well, i recently fixed that. :lol 

8. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:

This x 10000000. Some collections I've seen in pics DO look childish and messy. To me, the time & care spent displaying what you have is almost as important as WHAT you have.

So many collections shown here are of the "I have hundreds of toys, only 4 shelves, therefore I must cram as many as I can in to a small space!" and it just looks like a whole load of cheap colourful plastic piled on top of each other.

I love collection displays that have had some care and thought put into them. Often, less is definitely more.

9. billcosby

billcosby Just Another Geewunner

News Credits:
    Yeah, this. My mother really got a kick out of the collection. She was snapping photos and giggling.

I've never had any friends balk at my collection, but maybe I'm lucky to have open minded friends. Almost everyone has a predilection or something bizarre they spend money on. And it's their choice. My wife spends her allowance on clothes and bags but I would never belittle her for it.

People who shit on others who do things that make them happy... are shit.

10. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Toys are rad man, don't feel bad about them.

11. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    This is pretty much what I was going to post, but I'd like to add: Nuts to them, they don't sound like particularly good friends.

12. robowarrior

robowarrior Arcee's BF

News Credits:
    In my case I have a large entertainment center in which I use the top shelf to display my collections. I live in a 1 bedroom apartment with my wife so it makes it tough to have your own space for your collection as a 1 bedroom does not supply a lot of room. More than 1/2 of my collection, I've had to put away in plastic rubbermaid bins as I've got 2 more months left on my lease and I'm only displaying the ones I really really love. My wife gives me grief about it as she thinks it's childish and a waste of money to be spending on "childish toys" as she calls it. She thinks I'm wack about collecting toys, honestly, I don't really care what she thinks or anyone else thinks about my collection. You will always have people with different opinions and thoughts about your collection. Whenever my sisters come over and see my collection they always ask me if I've added any new ones to the addition as they think it's really cool. One of my sisters is always bugging me about giving up on one of my toys for my little nephew as he is in love with Transformer toys (especially Bumblebee, DUH! LOL). I've had friends come over and they see my collection and they laugh when they see my toys and say "man that's a lot of toys, but it's cool though" So no matter what, the important thing is that you're happy and that's it...

13. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

If they're serious about it and not joking around with you, then I would tell them it isn't their business and that it has nothing to do with them. They're being silly - what you collect doesn't affect them at all.

Turn the tables on them - tell them to grow up. And if they keep acting like that, get better friends.

14. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    As long as they don't try to take matters into their own hands and dump your figures while you're out I'd tell them to go and roughly fornicate themselves.
    I suppose you could always try and win them to your side by buying them a cool Transformer each that they might display themselves.

15. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

No-one ever gives me hassle for having a whole room in my house to display my collection. In fact everyone who sees it says it is awesome, even if they have no interest in TFs at all.

16. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Hyena frequently gets on my case about displaying my collection.
    "You should display your collection," she says. "And take lots of pics."

Bloody women.

17. springerbee

springerbee Well-Known Member

I've tried displaying my Transformers on shelves, but they take up too much room that I'd need for storage.

18. saitoh155

saitoh155 Seeker

Most of my friends thinks its cool cause at one point they were collectors or just flat out like transformers.My mom is actually very supportive of it too,she will buy stuff for me for gifts if i tell her what it is and show her where to find it.I've actually only had an issue with one of my ex-girlfriends too,but that story if for another time.Mostly my friends dont give me grief cause they know that regardless what they think I'm gonna collect cause it makes me happy.And thats what matter most,that your doing something that makes you happy.

19. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    only person that would, would be my wife and shes cool with my toys, only asks that i take them down during christmas time for decorations. and if company (inlaws.......they know i colllect and they are cool with it) comes over i put them away :) 

20. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I'm sure they're just breaking your balls. I wouldn't get rid of your friends that you grew up with because they made fun of you. That's a pretty damn dumb thing for anyone to suggest. If one of them bangs your girl, slaps your sister, or steals from you, then you get rid of them. Just tell them not to worry about your shit and then punch one of them in the arm and pound your beer. Unless it's like this when people come over; I don't think it's anything to worry about or lose friends over.