Does anyone else NOT use 3P to fill gaps?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Thundershot, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator

News Credits:
    That is an excellent point about the proportionate value. I know for a fact my collection ballooned when I was constantly trolling Wal-Mart for all the newest beasties and Classics, but the value of the collection has skyrocketed with all my 3P purchases, while not going up in number all that much. An interesting question from the UK Hasbro poll was about your most expensive purchase. That's a tough one now with the third-party stuff. I've spent hundreds on some of these combiners, while spending drastically less on even the MP line.

2. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Board Certified Fans Trollar

News Credits:
    Winners like me use Takara to fill the gaps, not the other way around.

3. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    What he said.

4. LazyAza

LazyAza MMC color go brrrr

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    The fuck? most people do it?

Wow that's kinda shocking if not difficult to believe. I can't think of a single reason to replace any of my 3p figures, certainly not with hasbro ones.

This must just be another one of those narrow minded "I only care and think about mps and only follow the comings/goings of mps" things where the perception is that takara dominates when really, they're losing a lot of ground quickly to third parties even in that regard and 3ps otherwise dominate extremely with every other kind of figure beyond the more main stream low budget crowd that only buys the cheapest hasbro stuff.

5. TM2 Dinobot

TM2 Dinobot closet otaku

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I buy them to scalp them.

XD

6. CybertronianFan

CybertronianFan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Can't say that's the case with me. I usually go the opposite. When a 3rd party version releases, or is announced to be released, I tend to sell my official version. Though there has been a case where I sold my 3rd party figure to replace it with an official one: Springer. But, normally, I immediately sell official versions as soon as its 3rd party version was announced (example: Planet X's Vulcan regarding Has/Tak's FoC Grimlock's case).

Here too is not the case with me. I mingle them together. My FoC/WfC collection comprises of both official and 3rd Party figures. I won't separate them for the life of me.

7. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

I seem to be supplementing with official product. :) 

8. TM2 Dinobot

TM2 Dinobot closet otaku

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Y'all are all intentionally forgetting two words: Warbot Defender.

9. Transmetal

Transmetal Well-Known Member

I'm sure when FTs releases their Grimlock people will say the same about MP Grimlock. I know I'd sell mine but it won't really be worth it as they'll be all over eBay by that time. I know I sold my FOC Grimlock in favor of the 3rd party version, also finally dumped my MP5 for Appollyon and I'm waiting to see if MakeToys does better justice to the seeker, if so Walmart Skywarp, Takara Starscream and Hasbro Thundercracker will all be finding new homes as well.

I never really was a fan of Hasbro Springer as it looks nothing like G1 Springer in any mode. I had it, sold that too. Still waiting for an MP version of him.

10. motorthing

motorthing Too old for this $hit

News Credits:
    So the answer seems to be largely........no.

I don't have that many gaps as a result.

11. Peter Bazooka

Peter Bazooka Monsterbot

I would have kept him if his knees weren't so crap and he had heel support.

12. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

For me, 3P is not for what Hasbro hasn't done but for what they likely will never do or at least not for a long time. Other than that, 3P figs are too pricey, plus I find the (ever decreasing) majority to be unappealing. If Hasbro ever was to release their own versions of something 3P's already done, whether I buy it would depend on how good it looked, how long it's been since I got the 3P version and how many more important toys there are to buy at the time.

13. 18inchcombiner

18inchcombiner Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I do. It's different for MP puritans like me. TT only releases 2 Masterpiece a year if we are lucky. The 3P's fill the gaps & TT misses out.
    There are MP figures that TT will never make or already tried n failed: The Dinobots for instance.: Gigapower Gigasaurs will be my dinobots & maybe the oversized KO MP-08x & I am complete with MP Dinobots. So I am keeping some 3P's over official releases for sure!

Hasbro did fill in one GAP for me. Since there is no MP scaled combiners yet a voyager scale CW Devastator will be a stand in at 45.72 CM until they eventually come out by a 3P or TT themselves at 50.8-55.88 CM which is 2.5X the size of MP-10 Prime.

Attached Files:

14. lucas maximus

lucas maximus Need more Kain...

Pretty much this.

15. Toolverine

Toolverine Well-Known Member

I buy what version of the character looks best to me.

16. CybertronianFan

CybertronianFan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This guy gets it.

17. duttry98

duttry98 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    This ∆

18. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Bingo.

This need for some ppl to compartmentalise these things has always amused me. Who cares who makes what, if it looks good together it's all that matters ultimately. Is it a form of OCD to separate manufacturers?

19. Lodril

Lodril Poet of Destruction

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Like most people, I mix collections... but I'm not sure 'filling the gaps' is quite the right expression of it. A gap implies something is missing, like the absence of a decent Springer triplechanger for so many years when Warbot Defender came out, filling that 'gap'. Hasbro and Tomy have really stepped up their game in the past several years though, and there are fewer and fewer gaps remaining, so that's not really why I buy 3P toys.

I like the way Hercules looks with my CHUG stuff, and thus have no interest in the new official Devastator. There's an official Impactor and another on the way, so he's no longer a 'gap', but I'm definitely picking up MMC's Spartan. Assuming Voodoo's effort gets decent reviews, I'll be scooping that up, even though there's an official (and cheaper!) version of Ironhide/Ratchet due out soon. It's not really a matter of gaps, it's just which toys I like best for certain roles within my collection.

20. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for all of the replies so far. It still seems that I'm in the minority though, in that my 3P figures don't live with, nor affect whether or not I buy a Hasbro figure. I love Smartrobin but also got Brainstorm. Code and TFSS Chromedome. Smartrobin and Code are in my FX display. Brainstorm and Chromedome are on my Lost Light display.

Now upgrade kits are a different animal. They enhance a Hasbro figure and still live with the Hasbro figures. I don't get as many as I used to, but I will get that IDW Nightbeat kit, and he'll continue living on the Lost Light display. City Commander lived with my 1986 movie Autobots fr the longest time before I took that display down.