Does anyone else hate the "new" logo?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by The Asp, Mar 10, 2016.

1. The Asp

The Asp Angry Old Man

Ever since the last movie came out (what is it 4-5?) and Hasbro unveiled this new red logo slapped on everything. I've just gotten sick of seeing it.

It's really bland. It looks like some font pre-loaded on a new computer.

On the other hand, look at the G1 logo. It's still used in varying forms.
    It's a classic. The new logo won't be remembered except by Hasbro executives and the guy who made it.

2. Silvershot

Silvershot On The Double Dutch Bus

News Credits:
    Yeah, I don't particularly love it. It's somewhat bland and minimalist. My favorite trade dress, dating back to G1 is the version that used from Universe 2 through pre-Combiner Wars Generations. Simple, cool and classic!

3. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    I thought this was about the insignias, and I was all ready to chime in how much the movie-style 'con logo sucks compared to the original. (I'm still annoyed by how much non-movie stuff still has the movie-style insignias---it's much more subtle for the Autobot one, but it completely changed the 'con logo's eyes)

4. TacticalBacon

TacticalBacon UT Gang Rise Up

News Credits:
    The original logo had a more stylistic look to it, with the shines and font being all cool like. Compared to the new logo, which has bland red and a boring font, it just doesn't capture the feel of the old one. But I guess we'll have to get used to it 'cause it's not going away by the looks of it.

5. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    G1 and armada has the best logo

6. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Doesn't really bug me, but I'm still partial to the RiD-Cybertron logo.

7. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee Funny Little Man

I have to agree. For me, the best logo is the Movie-verse/Prime logo, just for looking metallic and mechanical, and I liked the way that they'd sort of unfold over the screen, like the logo itself is transforming, especially how in Prime they make it seem as Optimus and Megatron (or Optimus and Predaking) are punching the logo onto the screen.

8. Ryan F

Ryan F Transform and Roll Out!

News Credits:
    It's just the way design trends have gone - the 80s were full of chrome-effect logos - just look at the old logos for Tron, WWF, Lazer Tag, Masters of the Universe, Metallica (Ride the Lightning era) and Doctor Who (the 1987 logo) to see what I mean.

Whilst the old logo says "look at me! I'm from the 80s!", these days it's all about minimalism. The current logo is both deceptively simple and instantly recognisable, a hard combination to get right.

Look at the current logos for Apple, the BBC, Google, YouTube or HSBC - logo design these days is all about bold simplicity, and the current Transformers logo is just a reflection of the current trend.

Branding should reflect the product - the current logo demonstrates that Transformers is a bold, modern, robust franchise. Iconic though the 80s logo is, it screams retro and old-fashioned, and I'm not sure those are values that Hasbro want current TF lines to be associated with.

9. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I don't like it either. It's bland. Instead of making a new logo for Transformers, they picked a font.

10. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    The 1989 Transformers logo was the best :D 

11. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

^This.

But most of the time I care not about logos as long as they read Transformers.

Besides, progress or die.

What can't adapt should extinct.

12. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Also known as Cheese House

News Credits:
    The new logo is very flat and bland, it don't have the same about of depth as the old chromed out one. And what's with the comet?

13. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    I'm glad Im not the only one who finds it bland. I thought I was getting too nit pickey in my old age. I guess I understand the whole minimilistic approach and standardization of the new logo across the board on product lines but it certainly doesnt have much pop like the original did or even the one from around RID 1.0 to Cybertron. In the end, I can live with it, but where I miss it the most is on the IDW comics.

14. Metroplex79

Metroplex79 Hey mouse, say cheese!

I've liked and loved all logos and fonts since the 80s. Even the movie one, it wasn't quite bland, because of the "dirty, gritty metal" look.

But yeah, this current basic red one, so blah. Simple minds, simple ideas I guess. Minimalist look, minimalist effort IMO.

I won't say the 80s ones were the best, just because I'm from that era.

The font used for RiD through to Cybertron, I really liked.

I thought Beast Machines logo and font was cool. The 2 lightning marks added a little kick, without taking too much away from the branding.

As for the person who mentioned the current trend, I get that. But I prefer something that makes you stand out. Kinda like how I like the old smiley face or star of Wal-Mart over the current butt hole looking star.

15. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Less "hate" and more agree that it's "bland." Really, it's so... "nothing" that it's hard to say it evokes Transformers especially well.

(I'm fine with a lot of the other design elements that currently make up the packaging. Just think the font is pretty meaningless.)

16. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    I'd need to see the new logo in a different (not-obviously TF-related) context before I could agree that it's instantly recognizable. It's so... meaningless....

But I do agree that the modern trend is indeed toward minimalism. I hope it passes quickly.

Personally, I'd like to see the second, later-G1-era logo brought back, but I'd argue that it says "I'm from the 80s!" even louder than the Classic logo does, so I doubt it'll be used again any time soon.

17. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    Yeah its bland but I do like how it looks on the black packaging of Combiner Wars. But my favorite font has to be the Bayverse, it just looks so badass.

18. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    [​IMG]

Trying to gauge how "80's" this logo REALLY is. Compare it to the current Ford company logo:
    [​IMG]
    Aside from the font style, there's actually some similarity. Of course, Ford is pushing for familiarity, a trusted brand...so its logo hasn't changed much over the years.

But you also have Chrysler's font that's very close to the 80's Transformers font:
    [​IMG]

With a few tweaks, the classic brand logo is viable, in my opinion.

19. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    The classic still looks best, no matter what you say. As a graphic designer I know that minimalistic is modern. But not everything looks better in flat style.

20. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

I admit I do miss cheesy labels of "Heroic Autobot" and "Evil Decepticon"...