Does anyone else actually LIKE repaints?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by simplygriff, Jul 26, 2010.

1. GreenCream

GreenCream Well-Known Member

I absolutely ADORE repaints. It gives you a whole new character, and also gives you options for what mold you want. I even like the "battle damaged" repaints, because I'm slowly building an army of zombie transformers. :lol 

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Repaints suck unless it's appropriate, i.e. Starscream to Thundercracker. What's not appropriate - garbage like "Tuner Mudflap".

3. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    It's a mixed bag. In some cases I wouldn't have picked up a particular mold if it had not been repainted (i.e. ROTF Sideways into Deadend). On the other hand Hasbro can tend to go repaint crazy and simply repaint EVERYTHING.

4. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

I like some repaints, but not all of them. I just buy the ones that are either awesome or they are the obligatory repaints/remolds of characters such as the Seekers.

5. Tirade

Tirade Hate Plague Autobot

Depends on the repaint. I remember a few years back when Hasbro released Alternators Dead End. That mold just screamed Sunstreaker, so I knew it would get a yellow repaint eventually. I certainly had no interest in the Dead End color scheme. Same goes for Alternators Decepticharge. I actually prefer that mold in pink as Arcee (even though the head isn't very Arcee-like).

However, a lot of the current repaints fall under the category of unnecessary. That's the problem with the RotF line.

If a repaint also has a new head, I'm usually more open to buying it (Generations Blurr comes to mind). A new head shows that Hasbro/Takara put some effort into the figure.

6. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    new characters, yes. tuner mudflaps, not a chance. didn't buy elite guard bb for the same reason as stated above, nor did i buy any of the others like lockdown and pee ratchet, but i have a healthy collection of chug repaints, and act cj and bb, the seekers etc

7. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I like repaints as long as they make sense.
    I don't really have a rule I follow, just a feeling.
    It bothers me sometimes when there are minor repaints of lame characters (TUNER MUDFLAP), but if I don't like it, I don't buy it.

I'm also glad Hasbro broke the trend in Animated of having Megatron get new colors and then saying "I'm Galvatron now."

With all that being said, I do wish Hasbro would make 2 or 3 different heads when they mold a toy.
    It makes it easier to swallow buying the same toy.

8. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I'm fine with repaints, provided it does a good job of giving the toy a different feel and character. Emphasizing new details and minimizing ones that the previous toy painted, or creating new patterns in plastic colors and a contrast from previous versions. For me it gives me a beater, if I have a toy I want to play with but dont want to risk breaking or wearing out the joints, I can pick up the repaint instead, things like my Red Exillion, I have the US version instead. What bugs the hell out of me is the recent trend of minor repaints. I understand they want to keep the characters identifiable for kids so they dont change them that much, but things like all the versions of the 07 Deluxe Bumblebee, each one slightly better painted than the last... that gets irritating.

9. Omega Jolt

Omega Jolt Hunter

Yup, my most recent entry was purely about repaints. However, there are some rules as to which ones will get bought. If it's a character I adore, like Shockwave, then I'll buy every version possible even if it's something stupid like "Shockwave with new hat".

The other time it's acceptable is when it has been altered (new head, new weapon, etc.) which I know is technically a re-tool but w/e.

(Fembots also get a free pass simply because they are such a rare case).

The only straight repaints in my collection other than the aforementioned are moments of weak will in which I needed a fix of the plastic to make the twitchies go away. :drunk 

No, I spread them far across whatever theme shelf they are on. One of the games I play with people who see my collection is to see if they notice the repeats.

10. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I never hate repaints, nobody forces you to buy them, at worst I'm indifferent. I usually like them though I'm cutting back on them. for me getting a repaint depends on the deco, character & strength of the mold. If it can hit home on one of those critera I consider it at the very least.

11. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Jets yes.

12. tomigaoka

tomigaoka Well-Known Member

no to Repaints, I just try to make all my collections in distinct mold!

13. Sanchimaru

Sanchimaru Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, I don't like "repainting" as for itself. I like the repaints if the results are good. But sometimes they aren't...
    For example, I liked a lot Ransack from ROTF. But I liked the Divebomb repaint a lot, I couldn't wait to get it.
    But then, there is Roll Bar, and its repaint Wideload, both of which I didn't find interesting at all...
    What about the repaints that are better than the original figure? Well, I wasn't attracted enough by Cybertron Snarl, but when I saw Fang Wolf I just couldn't resist myself, and bought it on sight.
    And uninteresting repaints: I love Knock-Out, such a cool figure being so small and with a neat paint job. But none of the repaints has appealed me so much as for buying any of them.

So, the repaints are welcome when they are cool representations of the mold, or even improve it. Old and obscure character homages are usually a good idea. Other than that, a repaint can lack the charisma needed to become popular as much as an original mold can.

14. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah I like repaints, mostly as long as they're new characters (for example, I won't buy 7 different Bumblebees just because their stripes are different). The only exception is with Movie Optimus Primes, who I buy every redeco of.

In some cases, I like the repaints better than the original, or hold off on an original and get the repaint. For example, I think TFTM07 Deluxe Overcast is a lot cooler than Dreadwing, the original deco (same goes for Hooligan). Botcon repaints are often cooler than the originals (Clench, Double Punch, Weirdwolf, Alpha Trion, Banzai-Tron, etc.). I don't get every one that comes along, but a lot of times if the deco is cool enough or if the repaint is a new character I'll pick it up.

15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Up until about a year or two ago, not really, but Hasbro's being really clever with their repaints/remoulds and planning them ahead.

16. GreenScream

GreenScream Neo G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Like many others, only if its appropriate. Examples of repaints I will buy: Seekers, Prowl/Bluestreak/Smokescreen, Ironhide/Ratchet, etc.

I could care less about the black Prime repaints, and all the clear figures, etc.

17. Blot

Blot The most disgusting of all Transformers.

News Credits:
    The more variety of toys, the better. I like having multiple decos to choose from. As far as buying multiple decos of a mold, I take it on a case by case basis. Some I get, some I don't--although more often I don't. Generally though I do prefer the repaints to be new characters, although some characters with a new adjective before their names are good too :2c: 

18. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    So you're the kind of guy to spend time hunting an expensive original release from years ago of a mold you don't have rather than pick up the much cheaper repaint thats on store shelves now?

You probably don't want the upcoming Seacon set and would rather find a mint original Seacon set...

19. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I HAS ALOT Of repaints i lvoe them the ycan be better than the original mold soemtimes

20. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

It all depends on the repaint. They're not all created equal (I'm not really fond of the "barely" repainted figures... I like a figure's repaint to be wildly different from the original). But generally, yeah, I like them just fine. I enjoy seeing how a new color scheme can completely change the feel of a mold, and I have no problem having multiple upon multiple versions of a figure in my collection.

And as others have said, this new design philosophy of already having an alternate head mold at the ready is a welcome development; it makes the repaints even more worthwhile.