Does any one else think its weird we dont know what toyline will be after the movie

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by nemisispringer, May 6, 2009.

1. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    To each his own indeed. A movieverse cast and having Bay associated with production would give a cartoon series a MUCH wider audience and potentially, credibility - particularly with a slightly older crowd. People can say whatever they want about how much they hate him, but everything the guy touches becomes a blockbuster. Over and over again.

However, I'm less interested in who is behind it than I am the style and tone. You can still be a kids show and be somewhat serious in nature. I thought TFA's writing was often outstanding... if they could have cut 2/3 of the silly, I'd probably count it among my favorites.
    Good or bad (depending on one's perspective), this is the final answer at the end of the balance sheet. I'd like to see a well-written movieverse cartoon that follows the events of TF2 and leads up to TF3, with Movie/Classics/Universe-style characters.

2. Spin-Out

Spin-Out Well-Known Member

Just wait for Botcon, or if they don't reveal it ther, the San Francisco Comic-Con.

3. Socialvegetable

Socialvegetable Wrecker

News Credits:
    I don't think it's weird at all. Right now Hasbro's juggling three lines under the TF banner, Animated, Universe, and ROTF. While Universe and Animated are being phased out, they're still on shelves, and promoting a new property might take interest away from their sales. Also, ROTF toys will be around for a long time (just look at the lifespan of the movie 1 toys) and will be the brand's big money-maker for the next year.

That said, I am interested in seeing what's next. Transformers is a hugely popular brand right now, and Hasbro's really been making the most of the brand's rich heritage over the past year. I'm confident that the next phase won't disappoint, though ours is a fickle fandom.

4. SlyTF

SlyTF Banned

I hope not

5. SlyTF

SlyTF Banned

when is botcon?

6. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Winner.

7. Omega Charge

Omega Charge CHARGE ON

News Credits:
    Eh, I'll be spending a lot this year. I don't want to have to save up for then.

We'll find out when we get there. Well obviously before then, but we haven't even gotten to ROTF yet. We've got time, and right now I'm stuck in the present.

8. Spin-Out

Spin-Out Well-Known Member

May 28th.

9. Kickback

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Here's the thing that people need to remember.

When Animated was first started, it was scheduled for two seasons. Thus, two seasons were created and produced. Sadly, due to the success of the movie toys, Hasbro's marketing team decided to push back the release of the Animated toyline up to 6 months to allow movie toys to sell some more. Hence, we got repaints shoved down our throat and a couple of new molds.

However, due to contractual obligations with Cartoon Network, the show aired in December as planned and ran through the first two seasons in literally 6 months. The first wave of toys hit as Season 2 started.

Now, here's where it gets sketchy, but this is what appears to be somewhat accurate, although I reserve the right to be totally wrong, as this is just gathering information from various people, but nothing concrete.

Hasbro, realizing that there was still over a year left until Revenge of the Fallen came out, needed to keep that gap filled with something to generate interest in their product. Thus, Hasbro green-lighted Season 3 of Transformers Animated. That much we know as true. Early work on Season 3 started in April of 2008 (story-wise and character design-wise).

Here's where the information gets sketchy.

Hasbro green-lit Season 3 of Animated, thus the design team and Derrick Wyatt and Marty Isenburg of Cartoon Network were all working hard on it. However, the rumor is that Cartoon Network became hesitant on their side of the deal, either unsure of whether or not to go another season or something to do with the contract being written up for the third season. Whatever the delay was, it was down to the wire, hence no information on the 3rd season of Animated coming out until literally a month before the season premiered (other than leaked animation designs, etc.).

Now, what caused that delay? Dunno. Far as I know, it was something on Cartoon Network's end. Could that "delay" or mishap in communication between Hasbro and Cartoon Network hurt their working relationship? I mean, Animated got thrown in the worst possible timeslot possible, to allow the "Cartoon Network original" shows to be aired in the prime airing slots.

I know for a fact there's no ill feelings on the design team sides - Hasbro's design team and Cartoon Network's design teams love each other like a big happy family. This would be the bigwigs at CN and the bigwigs at Hasbro going "grr".

The "Discovery" thing has been in the works for awhile and the deal finally got hammered out last week.

Financially, it's not worthwhile for Hasbro to put money in to a show only to have it air during the worst possible time possible. The ratings look bad, and the audience is lower than at a later time slot, thus allowing one to assume that the lack of ratings = lack of sales. Hasbro saying adios to Cartoon Network, especially now that they have their own network, is not only seemingly the smart decision to make, but the real only viable decision to make.

Hope that makes things clearer for people.

10. asderiphel

asderiphel Severian's Understudy

Well, Bay did make the Island. But Spielberg made AI, and Will Smith starred in I, Robot. Everyone is forgiven a gaffe or two. Your point that he's a successful guy with a (mostly) good eye for action is spot on.

And a bayverse cartoon might give the movie more staying power in the younger audience. I keep coming up with questions on how well that venture would work though: Would Bay be directly involved? Would he or Hasbro want a direct movie run-up, or would it just be filler? How well do the movie designs degrade to animated versions? As Hasbro, would you want 2 toylines with almost entirely redundant characters with the same alternate modes?

From my personal view, TF: Animated is written as well as any other TF show/movie preceding it in the US (can't say about the Japanese shows, I'm watching them now). It's no sillier than the first season of Beast Wars, and the premise is handled as well, if not better, than G1 episodes where Seaspray turned into a mer-man or Warpath was a medieval knight.

While I'd personally rather Animated just continued on...if we're getting a new show/toyline, I'd hope for a new concept and not a movieverse continuation.

11. janeDoe001

janeDoe001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    QUESTION: If CN was so hesitant in a third season, then why would they end season two with Sari seeing wires coming out of her arm? o_O 

jD001

12. asderiphel

Sigh. Sad panda face. Cinderella was right; you really don't know what you got...

Thanks for the long response; what you described sort of follows what I imagined.

And I completely agree with Hasbro's move with Discovery Kids. It's good sense all around.

Do you know what CN owns as far as creative rights? Does Wyatt own the designs, does Hasbro, etc? And what happens to any print media versions from here on out?

13. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You make great points. The only places I can take exception are in the fact that I enjoyed the Island, AI, and I Robot. :lol 

14. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Don't assume the bigwigs and bean counters know or care about what the story is doing. Shows end/get cancelled on season cliff-hangers all the time.

15. asderiphel

:lol  I guess we won't be starting a movie club anytime soon. At least we both like Transformers, good enough for me.

16. caitlindevi

caitlindevi Sculpticon

News Credits:
    Twin Peaks for example.

That ending REALLLLLLLY bugged the hell out of me...What happened next???? You can't leave Agent Cooper possesed by Bob, Noooooooooo.

Ahem yes, cliffhangers happen even if a series gets cancelled

17. realCliffjumper

realCliffjumper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    not to name names...Justice Leauge Unlimited...Jericho...every Joss Whedon show on FOX...different situations, yes, but all of those stories eventually got resolved in movies, comics, and "forced" renewal by means of peanuts.

I have faith that Animated will continue SOMEHOW. Jus' sayin'.

18. Kickback

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Why did G1 end in Rebirth Part 3 with Galvatron and Lord Zarak flying around space in Scorponok discussing their future plans?

Why did Beast Machines end with Strika and Obsidian leaving Cybertron while the planet turned techno-organic?

Why did ROBOTS IN DISGUISE end with Ultra Magnus flying back to Cybertron with Galvatron and the Decepticons imprisoned on Fortress Maximus?

Why did CYBERTRON end with Vector Prime and Galvatron fighting in another dimension, while the Autobots and Decepticons went about to various planets?

Very rarely do you see cartoon shows end with an END so to speak. Season 2 alluded to Sari being a robot, or at least, not human from the beginning of the season. If the series ended at Season 2, everyone would know they were right - after all, the Decepticons were defeated (Megatron & Starscream in space, the others all blasted to bits or "missing") ... the only bit they left open was Sari's robotic arm. But they had been leading up to that for awhile now.

So Season 3 will end like Season 2, the doors not closed but a definite "end" feeling to it, and then fans like you and I can take over from there and create in our minds what we feel is the "end" of Transformers Animated.

EDIT: Duh. Forgot this. The reason cartoons don't ever really have an "end" written out is because by the time the show is in production and ready and the stories have been written, the creative teams don't know if they're coming back or not. So once the order for however many episodes is filled, you write an "ending" without it being a true "ending" because you don't want to put yourself in to a corner in case you're picked up again. In the case of Animated, I think the teams knew that Season 3 was a miracle, and that Season 4 was in a lot of doubt, so it allowed them to come to a bigger sense of "conclusion" than if it had ended in Season 2.

19. Kickback

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    It's most likely a number of contractual agreements. Hasbro decided that they wanted full control of all their properties some time ago, so the agreement may be something along the lines of Cartoon Network has rights to air the show on their network for up to xx years after the final episode has aired before Hasbro regains full rights to it and can air it on another network.

Cartoon Network studios produced Animated, but on Hasbro's dime. If anything, it's a licensee type fo deal for all we know. But I'm sure that Cartoon Network retains some rights for some amount of time since it was their in-house studios that created the show.

20. asderiphel

I figured they had to be some statute of limitations on it since it was all Hasbro IP involved. I didn't know Hasbro was paying for all the production costs; that might mean nothing, or everything. Best case scenario would still be a one-two year window where no one could touch it. And it would take an extreme amount of support to get Hasbro to reconsider new development on Animated in 2011-2012.

Unless Hasbro left any wiggle room for direct-to-DVD ventures in the contract... or has a clause to buy the rights from CN within xx time period.

Ah well. Probably just wishful thinking.

IDW should just ink Isenberg to a deal and continue the storylines.

And what's Wyatt's next project? Consider me interested in whatever he tries next.

---To the OP, sorry to hijack the thread. Whatever we get next, if it's handled even half as well as Animated, I won't be worried.