Customs: Does anodized paint work on TF plastic?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Applejacktimus, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Applejacktimus

Applejacktimus Still see the Sunshine

So I wanna try out some really pretty anodized metallic paint, but from my research, I can't tell if it's called "for polycarbonate" because that's the only paint that works on polycarbonate that won't crack when polycarbonate flexes or because anodized paint will ONLY bond to polycarbonate. I'm hoping someone could tell me if Transformers plastic (ABS) will take this paint well, and if I could use acrylic, enamel, or lacquer on top of it for details. Thanks. :) 

2. Terradives

Terradives Well-Known Member

I used to anodize aluminum for a company. This involves electricity traveling through the metal to react in the chemical bath. True anodizing with plastic should be impossible.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not necessarily. They make electroplating kits for plastic. You spray on a conductive spray paint and then you can electroplate onto the paint. I've always wanted to try to nickel plate some parts for Transformers but my wife is allergic to nickel and I'm pretty sure there's fumes involved so I figured I'd better not.

As for Op's question, sorry, I have no idea. Never heard of "anodized metallic paint" but I imagine it's just a metallic spraypaint with really fine metallic flakes. The only paints I've seen that were specific to polycarbonate were actually meant to be sprayed on the inside of clear model car body shells. The paints themselves were very flat but would go smoothly onto the inside of the clear shell, giving a very nice glossy look. No idea if that's what this paint you're seeing is or if it's something else. Do you have a link to it?

• Like Like x 1