Does a toy's value affect your desire for it?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Cal, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There are a few reasons why you would want a figure. Either it has nostalgic value or aesthetic appeal or playable features or media appearances, etc. etc. But do you like a figure mainly for its monetary value? Say you feel pretty blasé about a particular figure for its design. Would it seem more attractive if its price and esteem went up in the community? How much does that affect your impression of it?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Not in the slightest. Quite the opposite, actually. Many times if a figure is ridiculously priced, I start seeing it as not with it because I want the enjoyment value to be equal to the financial value. That's why I don't buy the high end stuff like the statues, and 3P offerings. I want to actully enjoy what I pay for, and neither of those options would make me feel good about the high prices.

I used to not collect MP's because if this, but had a change of heart when I discovered just how much fun they are. Still, I personally don't see the value of a $200 Seeker, so I won't get them.
    I can afford them, but I oftentimes need to feel that the expenditure would pay off, and if I don't think it will, I pass.

• Like Like x 12
  3. FortMax123

FortMax123 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Same here, I've only ever bought 5 3P items, and they've all cost under £50.

• Like Like x 2
  4. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Nope. Like @Yaujta it's the opposite with me. The more expensive it it the more discerning I'm gonna be. For instance, the MP-11 Coneheads are rediculously priced for what they are, which leads to a solid 'nope' from me. It's one of the reasons I'm very picky about 3P, they're just not worth the asking price IMO, especially as the price on a lot of them sinks like a stone afterward.

So why bother?

• Like Like x 2
  5. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Banned

Yeah man part of the fun for me with Transformers is their value.

In a Hasbro Generations TM/Legends/Deluxe/Voyager/Leader or RID Warrior/Legion toy you're getting a lot for the money you pay, even with inflating prices, compared to other toys in the price range.

For $6, $10, $15, $25 or $45 you're getting:

• A detailed and visually unique design.
    • A physical representation of a fictional character.
    • An adequately posable robot mode.
    • Usually at least one accessory.
    • A puzzle of sorts in the conversion to alt-mode.
    • At least one alternate mode.
    • At least one additional gimmick including but not limited to: interactivity with a mobile game, interactivity with other figures in a multitude of ways (combining, everything to do with Titanmasters.)
    • All of the display options that this multifaceted functionality entails.
    Even splurging for TakTom gets a lot more bang for the buck than other imported figures.

That sense of value goes away really quick with expensive figures that in many cases do less such as licensed figures, 3P, etc.

If I want a toy that's ballooned in value on the aftermarket its because it's a damn good toy, not because it's expensive.

A great example is Beast Wars Metals X9. Its a great toy that hits all those markers above, and I'd love to own it cause I love Beast Wars more than I love sleeping and eating, and it's prices are not out of my realm of possibility, but I couldn't stomach that price for any toy, no matter how spiffy.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Blackout32

Blackout32 ANTHRAX - PERSISTENCE OF TIME

Cybertron The Matrix of leadership knowledge,power
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Nope value does not matter. if I want it I don't care on how much it costs,I will find a way to get it.

7. malware5

malware5 Well-Known Member

To the highlighted bit, no! I couldn't care less how much a figure is revered in the community, if I think it looks bad no amount of praise heaped on it can make me think otherwise and spend on it. One thing I've witnessed in this MP game is that buying out of peer pressure is a certified way to go broke, particularly in you dabble in third party masterpieces.

Examples are 90% of combiner/titan wars, Apollyon and Eligos, they all look like ass! I like and buy FT stuff, Quakewave is one of the most revered figures in the third party MP world partly because it was the first figure to get the MP ball rolling in the third party. I've never owned it and never will as I feel the same way today as I felt when I first saw it prior to MP-29.......not good enough!

8. Skywarp23

Skywarp23 Well-Known Member

I like the way you look at our collective hobby. A toy car about the size of a deluxe bot would cost about what, $10. As a whole, we do get a fair bit of mileage out of 1 transformer figure. :) 

• Like Like x 2
  9. Bob Schoonover

Bob Schoonover Poorly-Known Member

News Credits:
    The only time value matters to me is if I'm interested in getting something and think it'll be much more expensive later - I decided to jump on Megatronia early in part because of the semi-silly going prices for UW sets now

10. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    No, but scarcity often does. Scarcity often leads to £££$$$$$££££££$$$$$

• Like Like x 2
  11. beardy

beardy Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.

Nope. With @tikqnat on this one.
    I like my toys because of what they are, not what they are worth.
    If you like your toys because of what they are worth, you're kinda saying you like collecting money rather than toys, especially seeing the up and down nature of TF toys aftermarket values in particular.
    I would imagine an ideology or collecting ethics like that are quite limited anyway.

12. Ryan F

Ryan F Transform and Roll Out!

News Credits:
    I was / am a Combiner Wars / Unite Warriors completist - every mould, every figure, every variation - from Million Publishing Runamuck to TFCC Bluestreak to the oversize KO Legends Powerglide, I have them all (including all three versions of the Devastator mould).

Easily the rarest and most expensive of these figures was the BotCon 'Golden Ticket' Flash Sentry figure, a version of the Legends Shockwave/Reflector figure but cast in clear blue plastic. Only a couple hundred of these were ever made, and you barely see them for sale anywhere (the last copy sold on ebay went for $400).

The point I'm trying to make is, I have this toy, I needed it in order to complete my CW/UW collection, but I'm almost scared to even touch it. Clear plastic is renowned for being brittle and cracking. (One of the reasons why I got three of the UW Grand Galvatron sets, which includes a clear Starscream).

Had this been a mass-release figure, or cost me £10, or even if it were easy to secure a replacement, I would be able to fiddle with Flash Sentry to my heart's content, pose him, re-pose him, transform him to gun mode and back. I bet he'd look great being wielded by the clear deluxe Starscream.

But I'll never know, simply because of the whopping price tag and the huge difficulties I'd have in getting a replacement.

So yeah, sometimes I buy expensive figures, especially if there's a certain line or wave where I'm determined to 'go completist'. Most of my toys are there to be played with, rather than sit on a shelf as display pieces. But damn, any enjoyment I'd get out of this figure has been killed stone dead by the price and rarity.

13. beardy

beardy Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.

But you didn't buy Sentry because he was expensive or because of his value, you bought him because you needed to complete your set.
    Question is asking if people buy figures due to their value, which I guess you don't. You'd rather buy sentry cheaper.
    I would be put off buying him due to the cost. And the clear plastic.
    You are a brave man sir. Hats off to you and I don't blame you for being afraid to transform him

14. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    Nope, not at all.

15. Tresob

Tresob Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, actually.

I get pretty excited when I see a figure at retail price (or, better yet, on sale) that I know has increased in value dramatically on the secondary market. I joke that the easiest way to get me to buy something is to show me an eBay listing where people are bidding twice its retail value. That being said, I'm mostly a bottom feeder, so I'm not buying MP or 3P stuff...and I'm certainly not paying the inflated prices.

16. CountDrunkula

CountDrunkula Sturdy Beard

News Credits:
    No, but if you show me a lineup of random TFs and tell me to pick a favorite I somehow will always pick the most expensive to procure... o_O 

• Like Like x 2
  17. Donnie707

Donnie707 Well-Known Member

I will only pay 5 maybe 10 bucks over msrp for a figure. If it is anywhere close to double the original price you can forget about it. But obviously there are people willing to pay those ridiculous asking price. More power to you.

18. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I'm certain I've bought a figure for value in the past. I use to get bit by that bug quite a bit in my younger years. It doesn't get my anymore, but I use to see the appeal quite A LOT.

19. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Totally. I bought some movie advanced figures just cuz they were expensive. I like them, but I shouldn't have paid what I did.

20. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Just a guy waiting for the perfect Whirl

News Credits:
    Hell nah. The main reason why I havent bothered with Unite Warriors is because of the silly prices attached.