Doctor Who Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by deathsheadx, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Yeah we still have one last season for Chibnall to make it unfixable.

2. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Timeless Child already did that for me

3. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Interesting because I think Rose is still the best modern companion to date with Donna and Amy behind her.

Anyway, another Blu-Ray is finally out!!

[​IMG]

4. Autoclot

Autoclot Well-Known Member

I'm really hoping they find a decent way to retcon that as a bad hangover or something. Given that they said in the episode that parts of the Matrix were corrupted / lost, it's possible they could spin it as the bits we saw as being a faked history and the missing bits being the truth. Maybe Tecteun really did find an interdimensional child capable of regeneration, but the records of that child were corrupted / deleted and history conflated that information with a fuzzy record of The Doctor's history.

I can dream, can't I...? ;) 

• Like Like x 2
  5. DarkAxalonSyde

DarkAxalonSyde Advocate for orignality in Transformers.

They're actually moving backwards? They're actually bringing back mr "let's make the Doctor a sexy emo who has relationship drama with all the young girls he picks up, in order to pander as much as possible to tweens"?! God, watch them have Jodie regenerate into Tennant.

This show is truly dead, both creatively and in regards to my interest.

6. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    RTD's Doctors were amazing and emo is better than boring dumbass.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    Well actually before he even started the new series, he and other of the shows first season writers, wrote novels about the character. They were actual fans.
    [​IMG]
    Several of the first few seasons had adaptations of Novels or big finish episodes
    [​IMG]
    Tenneth for instance did big finish audios before he became the doctor.(He didn't play the doctor in the audios)
    [​IMG]
    Nicholas Briggs voice of the Cybermen and Daleks started out doing Fan audio dramas.
    [​IMG]
    He and the others started big finish and continue to do so to this day. He also still does all the voices for the Daleks and Cybermen on audio and on TV.

Basically when the new series started it was basically made by fans for fans. But as it got more popular, the BBC took more control and made more mandates, and the only reason they are bringing Davies back is because they need a fix and he as a fan wants to fix what they broke.
    Also people are dropping their subscriptions to the BBC and just getting streaming and they made it so it's not mandatory that people have to get it, plus they blocked them raising fees to cover for the drops, so ratings matter to the BBC again.
    BBC licence fee faces real-terms cut as ministers reject plea to increase it with inflation

So they actually need the show to be a hit to get customers back now.
    BBC's £159-a-year licence fee will NOT increase in line with inflation over next five years | Daily Mail Online
    BBC losing 'red hot' battle for talent after Phoebe Waller-Bridge and Graham Norton moves

Like other companies they are finding if you don't give people what they want long enough they stop paying and leave.
    'Clock is ticking' BBC funding crisis as viewers 'no longer willing to pay licence fee'

So now they just want the show to be a hit, so I have a little hope after this announcement

Though part of me is like.
    [​IMG]

Because I'm worried it may be too little too late
    [​IMG]
    But maybe just maybe
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  8. DarkAxalonSyde

Well, you're free to think that, but I personally view 10 as a bastardization of the Doctor. The character should be a parental figure, or at least a mentor, not a boyfriend for the companion. Not to mention, if you're gonna make an emo character, you should at least explore the depths of his character, his inner conflicts. 10's emo-ness was just there. He occasionally had a sad moment or an angry moment and that's about it. I've seen emos in cartoons that were less surface-level, not even including anime.

Not saying you can't like the character, just explaining why I, personally, hate him and am horrified to see his creator returning as showrunner.

9. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

This definitely gives the impression that the BBC is desperate.

RTD being back certainly is a sign of hope. He managed before to bring the comatose series back to life so him being showrunner again is promising.

That said, like @deathsheadx, I, too, am conflicted. I loved RTD's first season with Eccleston. But his second and third season was a definitely decline in quality to me. The only good parts of series 2 and 3 were for me the stories wrttten by Moffatt, "Blink", & "Girl in the Fireplace", and "Human Nature/Family of Blood", which was an adaption of an existing novel. I actually almost quit the show after series 3, I despised it so much. But then I saw that Donna would be back and I watched again. And thanks to the Donna/Doctor chemistry and some good stories, I liked it again. The Specials were again not very special to me, only "Water of Mars".

I also disliked each and every season arc and the resolution by RTD. And don't get me started on his Christmas episodes.

So, yeah, conflicted. Chibnall is the worst, probably even worse that JNT and RTD is a definite improvement and likely the best British choice to get the series on Track (*), but I also had serious issues with RTD. And with both showrunners I considered walking out.

(*Would've been very interested to see what J. Michael Strazynski would've done.)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
  10. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I don't know how anyone could hate his seasons at all. Yes, there are some stinkers in there, especially during Season 3, but the stories are all worth rewatching multiple times over.

Chibnall is definitely worse than JNT. JNT still gave us the best of the entire franchise with the likes of The Caves of Androzani, The Curse of Fenric, The Happiness Patrol, and The Greatest Show in the Galaxy. Chibnall's best episodes are on par with Colin Baker's worst.

Now i do agree JMS would have been fantastic, but the BBC would never let a non-Brit control the show.

Says who?

Well you better tell that to Tom Baker and Sarah Jane.

• Like Like x 1
  11. DarkAxalonSyde

Says every single classic Doctor being portrayed that way. No matter how drastically they changed the Doctor, he still took on that role.

I....

...I don't even know what to say to that. Yes, they were less mentor, student and more friends, but I have absolutely no idea how you got boyfriend and girlfriend out of their relationship, outside of RTD retroactively giving their relationship a romantic tint.

12. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Um... throughout most of their seasons together you can tell there is more than that. Hell, look at how they both act during The Hand of Fear when Sarah says she is going.

13. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

Man, I haven’t seen Doctor Who since the early 80’s when they used to play episodes on Saturday nights on PBS (public broadcasting) over here in my part of the US. After looking up the various pics of the various Doctors over the years, it looks like most of the episodes I saw featured the 3rd and 4th Doctors. Memories, haha. I remember thinking it felt like a sci-fi soap opera. How fondly is that era of the series generally remembered by Doctor Who fans?

14. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I can't speak on how it is remembered given I watched the entire series for the first time in the last few years, but Pertwee and Baker are some of the franchise's best.

In fact, Tom's first three seasons are hands down the greatest Doctor Who material ever in my book with The Talons of Weng-Chiang being my favorite Doctor Who story of the entire franhise.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

RTD coming back is both good and worrying
    Reasons it is good:
    -love him or hate him he brought dr. who back from obscurity, he made it profitable which at the end of the day a show of its type kind of has to be
    -While I was not the biggest fan, I've seen some of his other work, he can do great stuff, but I feel he needs some people to tell him no in a way Lucas was restrained in the OT movies.
    -Time moves forward, while he may not of been the best, he may of also grown. This could be a benefit to the show as it also allows the show to mature a little as well. Will it be perfect no, but hell at this point I'll take JNT before cartmell if it makes the show watchable again

Reasons it is bad:
    -He may not of grown
    -We probably will see the deus ex season ender return (I dunno if it left to be fair but I stopped watching after the second of capaldi)
    -This is personal opinion here, I feel some of the stuff he did bordered on fan fictiony and I kind of felt Captian Jack also bordered on a male Mary Sue for Davis, but thats opnion, and not really something that hindered my enjoyment much.

So time will tell, but at least we know he chinaball is leaving, and keep in my Davis may be overseeing a reset or even doing a favor to someone at bbc till they can get someone else, I honestly am hoping he's around a season at most....

16. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I just read a rumor that the show is going to go back to the half hour format, now that is really interesting.

17. DarkAxalonSyde

I just don't see it. To me, they seem more like best friends, than lovers. I suppose if you want to read it that way, you can, but there's no solid evidence to support the idea.

18. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Maybe I am reading it that way because I watched the classic show after the modern one then.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    I could see you seeing it with Romana 2, as they dated and married back then, but not so much Sarah Jane.

20. DarkAxalonSyde

I think that may be. RTD definitely tried to put a more romantic spin on their relationship, with their dramatic reunion and the idea that Sara struggled to get over him. As many sweet moments as there were between 4 and Sara, none of them were quite what RTD made them out to be, at least not explicitly.