Doctor Who Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by deathsheadx, Apr 5, 2008.

1. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

What do you mean coming up? This already aired last year.

2. excelhedge

excelhedge Overseer of Weird

News Credits:
    Really? Was this the holiday special then? Cuz I binged last season and don't remember this.

3. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Oh, I thought you meant you had that episode coming up. Yes, that was the New Years special that aired on the 1st. It's called Resolution.

4. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

Yup... It's technically not part of the regular season 11 like most specials. There was a few weeks of a gap between what is considered the end of season 11 and Resolution. I kinda still consider Resolution to be part of series 11 because it doesn't really make sense that it's not and it can't be the first episode of season 12 because 12 hasn't aired yet.

Anyway... yeah they did this instead of usual Christmas special because they were getting kinda worn out with all the Christmas specials every year but they still had to release some kind of special so it was a New Years special.

5. Dr Kain

The Doctor, the Widow, and the Wardrobe - Not bad, it has some touching moments, and I like the concept of the tree people, not to mention the hilarious scene between the trio of dumb soldiers with the mother. The ending kind of plays it too safe, but it works with the context of the story. It doesn't compare to A Christmas Carol, but it isn't terrible.

6. Dr Kain

Here we go:

Asylum of the Daleks - So the Daleks can actually become people? What? That makes absolutely no sense. Beyond that, this episode is quite boring and nonsensical. It just doesn't make sense even for Doctor Who standards and repeating the whole "Doctor who?" bit at the end seemed a little too on the nose. Not to mention the Amy/Rori divorce bit just feels completely out of left field regardless of the reasons for it later on. It's like they needed to add in some unneccessary drama as if it were a CW show. This may be the worst episode Moffat has written thus far.

Dinosaurs on a Space Ship - Dinosaurs on a freaking space ship? How can this go wrong?! Well in the words of Ian Malcom, "There are dinosaurs on this thing, right?" Seriously. There's like 3 dinosaurs in the entire thing that make up maybe 10% of the episode while the other 90% is just inane boring banter. It also seems out of character for the Doctor to just leave the thief to die. That is something Tennant's Doctor might have done, but never has Smith shown any type of relentlessness beforehand. Hell, there was an entire conversation about that in last season's finale with the lady with the eye patch and Amy.

A Town Called Mercy - Um... so NOW Amy cares that the Doctor is going to let some random stranger die? WTF? She had no problem with it last episode. Beyond that, we have yet again another uninteresting episode that is more talk than excitement. I don't know what it is about this season, but it feels like they are trying to channel their inner Colin Baker with the worst writing this show has ever encountered at this point. Anyway, I will give this episode some credit for its wild west setting as it makes it look different than the other episodes. No endless corridors or staircases here. The Gunslinger is also a cool concept even if the execution isn't up to par. Oh, and the scene when Amy keeps shooting off the gun by mistake was pretty funny, especially when the one dude yells, "ANYONE NOT AMERICAN HAND OVER YOUR GUN!"

7. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Well-Known Member

Good, because that's not the case :D 

Those aren't Daleks that have become human, they're humans who have been turned into Dalek puppets. We've had them before (e.g. Hartnell's big Dalek invasion of London). Humans that are infected with nano particles and have part of their body replaced with Dalek parts to serve the Daleks. Most of them are just that, puppets without a will or mind of their own, but in rare instances, like Oswald, the human is so special that she was turned into a proper Dalek.

I think this sort of leads out from the mini episodes done at the time. Still, I agree. Although I can completely see the base for the divorce (they both want children, she can't have them (a big trauma) and to not deny him his biggest wish for life, she divorces him out of love), it should've been given more development. Now it's dumped on us and solved in the same episode (not ocunting the webisodes).

8. Dr Kain

Wait, that Dalek thing was done before? I had no idea, though, if they are't just possessing a host, they sure didn't explain it properly then. I know the Doctor said stuff about nanites, but that just sounds like a halfassed way to explain whatever that is. I guess I just don't understand.

Also had no idea there were webisodes to show Amy and Rori's marriage troubles. They're not on the BD, only the prequel to the episode is. As such, it goes from Amy and Rori inviting the Doctor in for Xmas dinner and being all happy to the opening of Asylum where they are signing divorce paperwork.

9. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Well-Known Member

Not as refined, but yes. In The Dalek Invasion of Earth (season 2 of Hartnell: when his granddaughter leaves) there are humans under the control of the Daleks. Back then they wore helmets to indicate this. Now, nanites have taken control of the human bodies (either alive or dead), party convert them to some hybrid so a Dalek eye stalk and weapon can burst through the skin. But they're not Dalek, just humans being controlled by Daleks.

It's called Pondlife. A couple of (web)episodes that span the time between the Christmas dinner and Asylum. But it's not like we see their marriage desintegrate. Just at the end we get something, but not much. It's mostly some wacky stuff happening and then at the end they seperate. Thus still poorly done.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  10. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Yes the Robomen
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Dr Kain

Wow. BTW, thanks for actually turning this into a discussion. I posted that same post on a Doctor Who forum and the only discussion that came out of it from TWO different people is that I spelled Rory's name wrong as I never realized it was with a Y, I always thought it was with an I. :lol  :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  12. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Dr Kain

Yeah, Chibnall is just terrible.

• Like Like x 1
  14. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

You got that backwards. People became Daleks... oh and it's actually ALWAYS been that way from the moment they were introduced. In their very first appearance it was mentioned that the Kaleds were originally a more humanoid and peaceful race before they became Daleks. Later on when Daveros was first introduced as their creator it was further confirmed that they originally were a human looking race. This is really just maybe the first time it was actually shown rather than something that was talked about but never really seen.

It is kind of odd that:

1. They can convert DEAD people into LIVING Daleks.

2. That the eye stalk being the first Dalek like feature to form suggests that they're "born" already in a shell... which really doesn't make sense... Shouldn't the person only be able to convert into the squid thing inside? How does a robotic casing form around them?

I do agree about the Divorce. It seems to come out of no where and then it's resolved by the end of the episode. Why did they even put that in there? The first time I saw it that whole plot line was so distracting because I thought I had missed an episode that showed the break up or something but no it actually starts by showing a very sort of rushed sequence of scenes that's suppose to imply the divorce without outright saying it and that still just leaves me feeling like I missed something. The resolution was also so quick and rushed that it left me wandering how they never had that exact discussion before the divorce.

Like apparently the whole thing boiled down to Rory wanting kids, something happened to Amy at Demon's Run that prevents her from having any more kids. River's an adult so that doesn't count I guess... anyway Amy kicked Rory out so he could find someone else who could still have kids but they were both still in love with each other the entire time and Rory didn't actually care that much that he would of ever thought about leaving if she hadn't kicked him out... And all of this came out during their argument at the end of the episode so how did they not have the exact same argument before Amy ever kicked him out of the house in the first place? That seems like such an easy resolution that it shouldn't have ever been an issue in the first place. I'd really like to know exactly what they were talking about the night she threw him out and how this never came up before.

This kind of stuff can happen but it almost never goes that far before the couple realize their mistakes... because you know.. most couples actually talk to each other and don't just assume what the other one is thinking. Especially when it comes to problems with really simple solutions. It's not like she thought he was cheating on her or something, she just thought he really wanted kids. Like seriously discuss adoption or something don't just jump immediately to "well I guess we have to get divorced because I can't have kids anymore."

That entire subplot I think could be removed from the episode and make it much better.

What were you expecting... You know this is a low budget BBC show and not a Jurassic Park/World movie right?

I think the understanding was that the robots were going to rescue him and while they were busy with that it gave them a chance to get back to the TARDIS. He never left the guy to die, he just knew those robots would save him.

Are you really complaining about the amount of talk vs. action in DOCTOR WHO of all things? You know this is a character who is literally famous for defeating his enemies just by TALKING at them right? Matt Smith's very first episode shows him defeating a foe just by telling the enemy who he is. The action in this series is usually just running away from things. This is even more the case in the classic era. The most action I ever saw was the 3rd Doctor having a sword fight with the Master that lasted for like two minutes.

No that's Peter Capaldi's run. No offense to Peter Capaldi it's not his fault they wrote him like a modern day Colin Baker. It's also not really Colin Baker's fault either, the writers at the time were intentionally trying to sabotage the show to get it canceled which is why they wrote the Doctor to be kind of a jerk and had him do things like strangle his companion, and even his costume was intended to be so bad that they didn't think anyone would still want to watch the show. I think the same thing was done with Peter Capaldi because the tone of the show was much darker during his run, he didn't seem to actually care about anyone and regularly put people in danger intentionally. The only time that I really thought he was the Doctor is towards the very end of his run. The speech he gives to the Master and the Mistress that was a very Doctor sort of speech and it's from that point onward that he actually felt like the Doctor to me... It was a too little too late situation considering the very next episode was his last.

Here's the one major problem I had with that episode... I never really understood why the Gunslinger wouldn't cross over the boarder. It was just a bunch of rocks. There wasn't actually anything stopping him from crossing over to the other side. Even without actually going over the boarder he also could of easily shot anyone in line of sight but he arbitrarily waits for the target to actually cross the boarder. There's absolutely no reason why the boarder should have made any difference. He seems to put that restriction on himself and I think it was supposedly done because he didn't want to risk innocent civilians being caught in the crossfire but I still think he could of easily taken out his target without harming any innocent civilians if he hadn't been following that stupid boarder restriction. It kinda feels more like the boarder restriction was put there by the writers so the plot could happen because it really makes no sense within the story. If there was an actual force field around the town that wouldn't let technology pass in or out but allows people who aren't cyborgs to cross freely then the boarder restriction would make sense why he can't do anything unless someone steps over into his side but having it as a self imposed restriction seems like a writer decision that makes no sense in the context of the story.

It's basically I need an artificial way to draw out this conflict over the time span of a Doctor Who episode because this character is too powerful to not accomplish his objective before the opening titles even start... Self imposed restrictions around a boarder of his own design PERFECT! But why though? My guess... they didn't have room in the budget to put anything more than a bunch of rocks around the town to act as the boarder. There's a more high tech solution that I already mentioned to make the boarder thing work but that would also require replacing the rocks with something that would actually cost money.

15. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:

Well the trailer didn't excite me much, hope it worked better for other people.
    Goes off to listen to better big finish Doctor stories.

16. Dr Kain

I know about the Kaleds as I have watched everything from Season 12 on of the original show and half of Troughton's run with a fraction of Pertwee and Hartnell.

Anyway, a few others and I had a conversation about what was going on a few days ago. It still makes no sense to me, but whatever.

Definitely.

Then don't call your episode "Dinosaurs on a Space Ship?" It's no different than "Let's Kill Hitler." They wrote a catchy title and then made an episode that had very little to do with the title.

Not really. He clearly left the dude to die.

It's not really the talk vs action part, it's how mundane the talk is and again, how out of character the Doctor seems to be. Plus, the episode lacks energy and parts of it make no sense.

I'm referring to the writing quality. Also, I'd say Whitaker is the Colin Baker of the new Doctor Who in that regard.

Totally good points too.

17. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

You need to read more TV episode titles. Most of them work that way because most people don't pay that close attention to what the title is for a episode in the first place. They could title an episode Spiders on a Boat, never even show a boat or a spider, and most of their audience would never even notice. They only flash on screen for a couple seconds. Some shows don't even both with titles because they know no one reads them. Almost all titles are a joke that has little to do with the episode

Well they were going to a western style for the whole episode and I don't know if you ever watch westerns normally but the mundane talk is kind of consistent with the style.

How so? I don't get the same feeling of they're trying to make the Doctor simultaneously darker and more goofy like both Colin Baker and Peter Capaldi did. Jodie Whittaker is actually far more like David Tennant and Matt Smith.

18. Dr Kain

Because her episode plots were utterly boring, just like Colin's, the villains uninteresting, just like Colin's, and the companions were lackluster, just like Colin's.

Anyway, we just finished the rest of the Amy/Rory arc and what a load of shit it was.

The Power of Three - This one started out with an interesting concept and watching the Doctor hate being bored was down right hilarious. It's also quite fitting as that is how I've been feeling when watching this season so far. I just want to get up and do something else. Nevertheless, the episode was doing pretty good until Not-Emperor Palpatine shows up and it all goes down hill from there like an orgasm that abruptly ends thanks to a wet fart. I did like the aspect of Rory and Amy trying to decide which life they want to lead, but it's kind of irrelevant at this point given what is about to occcur in the next episode.

Angels in Manhattan - Hands down the worst Weeping Angels episode of the franchise! I loved the Noir vibe the episode kicked off with, but it was such a shit show when it came to being the grand finale for Amy and Rory. God damn it makes me angry that this is how Moffat decided to send off the show's long staying companions. What was the point? Why not have just ended their run as his companions with the Xmas special? Or have him befriend a new companion for most of the season and then Amy and Rory join in with him and the new companion for the season finale? Why did they have to send them away in such a shitty manner? Does the Doctor even go and tell Brian that they will not be returning home any more given the conversation they had in the last episode? Ugh, god damn this blows.

BTW, it turns out those Pond Life minisodes are actually bonus features on the second disc of the set as I found them when I was looking to see if there was a prequel to Angels in Manhattan before starting the episode. Why the hell would they put stuff that takes place BEFORE the season premier on the NEXT disc? That makes no sense. Well whatever, those were fun, espeically the Ood on the toilet.

19. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I'm sure that episode's writer figured out how to do endings at some point. And if he didn't, surely he was never put into a position to run anything important.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    Sadly he never did and was put in charge of a series I used to like.