Doctor Who Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by deathsheadx, Apr 5, 2008.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Former DOCTOR WHO Showrunner Russell T. Davies Hints At Future Doctors Even Beyond Jodie Whittaker's Thirteen

The Fourteenth Doctor, in Davies’ mind, would be a a tall, bald black woman wielding a flaming sword and, perhaps even more intriguingly, the Fifteenth Doctor takes the form of a young girl or boy in a hi-tech wheelchair with what looked like a robot dog at their side (an clear reference to, The Doctor's robotic dog, K-9).

Davies’ descriptions are purely of his own imagining, and not replacing the established canon set-up by the actual TV show, but; That being said, Davies’ vision of these two future Doctors certainly opens up some interesting possibilities, should new showrunner Chris Chibnall or his future successor be looking for ideas.

Now I imagine Danai Gurira from Black Panther as the 14th Doctor.

2. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

A flaming sword?
    Thank God for Big Finish.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

I really don't care what RTD hints at, thinks or wishes. Moffatt ain't perfect but RTD's writing pushed me very close to quitting Who after series 3. And if I look at each of his seasons, I'm shocked to see that without much exception, it's his stories I rate lowest.

Hell, even Chibnall has a better score with me than RTD, and I worry about the quality of Who for the next couple of years with him in charge.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have to echo this. When I look back on Tennant’s run, I find there are a surprising amount of episodes I’d just as soon skip were it not for Tennant’s portrayal literally saving the show for me. And the single worst ep I’ve ever seen was a RTD one (love & monsters). Granted, he’s not all bad, but when he is- my god is he bad.

5. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nobody should ever take ideas from Russel T Davies.

6. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I mean, I know he had some duds, but those just sound so wrong. Flaming sword? The Doctor with a Flaming Sword? I just... what?

Kid in a wheelchair. Are... are we sure this isn't some April Fool's thing? Like... that makes NO sense. AT ALL. I totally get the Doctor trying out being a woman thing. He's got a new set or regenerations, why not? But... kid in a wheelchair. WHY? An assistant, sure, but the Doctor himself, I... HUH?!

7. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

The flaming sword is a great idea... for a totally different character... the Doctor has used a sword in his third and tenth incarnations but it's not something he should regularly carry around with him.

And why would he be in a wheelchair considering regeration is suppose to fix everything not give him problems.

I could see him potentially as a kid but the problem with that is finding a child actor who can convincingly portray a character as old as the Doctor is. Many young adult actors can't even do that well though the ones we've had already were good, still basically with any actor you're asking them to portray a character with thousands of years of experiences that any human is technically too young to do. The younger the actor is the harder it's going to be to convince the audience he or she still has the life experiences of the actors who came before them.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

9. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

Diamanda Hagan tackles an old age question:

10. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    Those ideas remind me how much I miss having RTD behind the show. It was so much more fun with him.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  11. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

There was a parody I saw a while back which poses a very good question. Jodi's Doctor has pierced ears so what happens the next time she regenerates? Everything heals up so if she leaves her earrings in will they just become fused to her ears? Does she have to take them off before regenerating again? And is the Doctor getting her ears pierced going to actually be shown on screen? I'd prefer it wasn't cause piercings creep me out.

At least it's not like that one Time Lord who had to keep getting the same tattoo in every incarnation cause he/she didn't feel like him/herself without it. That would be worse.

Anyway... I also hope her dialog is more clear in the future. A lot of people say she's saying brilliant but I've seen that scene multiple times and still sounds like nonsensical gibberish to me. I haven't seen her work before Doctor Who so not sure if that was just a one time thing or if her accent is consistently difficult to understand. I wish she had more dialog in the Christmas special so I could better judge, as it is all we got was one or two words... yeah that's really how bad it was as I'm not even sure exactly how many words that was.

12. Switchblade

News Credits:
    Jodie Whittaker has a Yorkshire accent. It’s one of the thicker British accents, but if you can understand Peter Capaldi’s Glaswegian accent then Whittaker shouldn’t be too hard.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  13. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

Capaldi is Scottish. I don't even know what the hell Glaswegian is. Also I've heard Yorkshire accents before that weren't as bad as Jodi but also I typically get to hear them speak in complete sentences not just one or two words so even if there's some words that are hard to distinguish it can be easy to figure out from the context.

14. Switchblade

News Credits:
    Glaswegian meaning he's from Glasgow and has the accompanying accent, as opposed to Karen Gillan's Highlands accent or an Edinburgh accent.

15. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

I'm assuming these are all just different parts of Scottland? I know and can do most accents myself but Scottish I'm terrible with. I've never been able to roll my Rs as they have a tendency to do when they speak.

I can do an Irish accent which is similar sort of but not the same thing... and it irritates the hell out of me that Irish and Scottish are constantly mixed up in American media. I'm pretty sure most people think they're exactly the same with how often their accents, clothing styles, food, and other traditions get confused with one another.

16. Switchblade

News Credits:
    Yeah. Different regions of Scotland have different accents, just like Britain. That's why David Tennant, Karen Gillan, and Peter Capaldi all sound different from each other, despite all three being Scottish.

17. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    I could understand Capaldi a lot better than Tennant. Capaldi sounded like my old English teacher in middle school. With Tennant I sometimes couldn't understand some words and only got a vague idea what the general idea of his intent was by context and his general mood in the scene. But Bill was the worst so far. There it was mostly guessing. There were 2 or 3 words I understood, sometimes a whole sentence, but mostly I got nothing.

It's funny, in school we learn British English, but I find American English a lot easier. It's more logical to me, how I would, from a German point of view, pronounce the words.

But I sometimes mix and match, because in rare cases I like the British way better. And sometimes they use archaic forms in AE. That's when I prefer the way it's used in BE.

Although Asmodeus on supernatural is also hard to understand at times. But he kinda sounds cool when talking :D 

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  18. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

Actually David Tennant sounds different because he's speaking in an English accent as the Doctor... and as Killgrave on Jessica Jones. That's not even his natural Scottish accent. Peter Capaldi isn't the first Scottish Doctor but he is the first to actually speak using his own Scottish accent. Every other Doctor before him has been British, even when they weren't actually from Britain. This kinda makes you question why David Tennant had to speak in a fake accent to keep the Doctor British if years later they were just going to change his accent to Scottish anyway.

If you've ever heard David Tennant speak normally which he does when he's just being himself and not playing a character, his accent changes. Also as Scrooge McDuck on the new Ducktales series he finally gets to play a character speaking in his native accent since that character is actually suppose to be Scottish.

Killgrave and the Doctor are Brittish. Killgrave was described multiple times in Jessica Jones as having a British or English accent. Missy noted that Peter Capaldi was the first time the Doctor spoke in a Scottish accent on the show. David Tennant wasn't mentioned at that point because he didn't use a Scottish accent as the character.

As Scrooge McDuck you can still tell it's his voice regardless of which accent he's using but there is a difference between his natural Scottish accent and his fake British accent. He's been using a fake accent so long that I think some people forgot he wasn't actually British. And this is really the first time I've ever heard him speak naturally while in character. Usually you have to watch behind the scenes interviews and footage to hear his natural voice.

There is that bonus material which is sped up in the actual episode as Martha fast forwards threw some instructions. It's from the episode where he uses the Chameleon device to hide out as a human. Anyway, they didn't really have a script, they just told him to improvise for a while so they'd have something for Martha to fast forward threw. During that improvised portion there's some parts where he drops the character's accent and uses his own, I don't think he was really trying at that point since he knew no one was ever going to hear it. Though the full unedited tape was added as a special feature on the DVD release and uploaded to YouTube.

I'm not very good at describing accents via text but the best I can do to differentiate David's English accent from his natural Scottish accent is he sounds much more smooth and clear in English while his natural voice has more flem for lack of a better word. Like some letters when pronounced sound like he's going to spit right after saying them. And then there's that Scottish R rolling though it's not really as pronounced with him as it is with Capaldi or Karen but it is there. There isn't really enough of a difference between the two accents to really notice unless either you're naturally accustomed to picking up on those differences or you're trying to listen for them. I almost want to say that maybe he was born Scottish but raised English because to be honest neither one of his accents sound quite right, it's like he's a mix of both and when he's switching between the two he just goes slightly more one way than the other. English and Scottish normally aren't that similar to each other but they sound very similar when HE does them.

19. Switchblade

News Credits:
    I was referring to his natural accent. I should have clarified.

20. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

I have done a slightly foolish thing. I just pre-ordered the new Tom Baker Complete First Season Blu-Ray off of Amazon.ca. I don't even own anything else Doctor Who yet, but how can I pass up a complete season of Baker? He is such a fun Doctor after all, and I do like supporting the idea of complete (or as complete as they can be with so many lost material) blu-ray sets of the original serials of the Doctor.