Doctor Who Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by deathsheadx, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:

Couldn't agree more.

I'm so happy Big Finish has been able to provide Sixth Doctor stories. A passionate creative team works absolute wonders for any production, regardless of medium.

So, the new series guys are set to announce an "Iconic Star" to appear in the new series. My excitement really depends on whether they mean iconic for the show (McGann, McCoy, etc), in which case wonderful. Or whether they mean iconic as in "it's someone famous" in which case I don't give two hoots.

Either way, it's revealed at midnight, so they obviously think it's worth staying up for.

2. bcm77

bcm77 Not A Proper Fan.

People agreeing with me? That can't be right :wink: 

Another thing I think Colin deserves credit for is his attitude towards the show since he left.

More than anyone else he would have been justified in distancing himself from it after such a high profile firing but he's been a mainstay of the convention circuit over the years and has also been very enthusiastic about the revival and even his recent action figures.

I think it's great that he's been given a platform to show what he could have been like on TV with the right production team and aside from the obvious ( Tom ) his audio back catalogue is the one I'm most intrested in completing.

3. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don't worry, I won't make a habit of it. :p 

I think a big part of that is that he really liked the show before he was even on it. He considered being the Doctor as his dream role and, even after losing it, he still loves the show enough to enjoy what's come since. I follow him on Twitter and it's fun to see him post his reactions to the newest episodes; he is definitely still a big fan.

4. bcm77

bcm77 Not A Proper Fan.

:D 

As a fan who actually got to be the Doctor he's still living the dream and I think it's great as there's nothing worse than an actor who disowns a part that made them famous.

5. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's one of the great things about Doctor Who. With maybe one exception (I'm not sure what Eccleston's current stance is, but it seems to be softening towards the show), every actor who played the part really loved it, still has fond things to say about their time as the Doctor, and is willing to still contribute to the franchise and fandom in some way.

6. bcm77

bcm77 Not A Proper Fan.

In the past Eccleston has said he enjoyed being a hero to the younger viewers but hasn't really gone into any detail on his issues with the working environment that lead to his departure.

He's done very well since leaving the show so I don't expect any kind of return for a long time yet but I reckon it'll happen one day, even if it was just a Big Finish series which I'd really like to happen....providing it was set before he met Rose.

I think it'd be fascinating to hear his Doctor in a decently written story with a Classic style format because in the few moments when he wasn't playing second fiddle to the Tyler clan he was FANTASTIC!

My favorite Eccleston moments were,

1.The scene in "Rose" where he talked about being able to feel the Earth turning. Still the best moment in the entire revival for me.

2.His farewell holo-recording in "The Parting of the Ways"

3.His ranting at the Dalek, especially the bit where he said "Why don't you just DIE!!!!"

7. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    BCM I know you won't like to hear this, but I think we will probably hear Tenneth before Eccleston at big finish. He's worked them before he became a Doctor and was quite good at it, I liked his interpretation of a Nazi in Colditz and didn't realize it was him at first. He said he enjoyed it, and I could see him agreeing to comeback if they could license the new series. Which now that he isn't the current doctor may be possible. And let's face it most Doctors are written better on their Big Finish audio's than on the show with the possible exception of Tom Baker.

8. bcm77

bcm77 Not A Proper Fan.

I agree that is likely to be the outcome and although I thought Tennant was great in "Colditz" I don't have even a sliver of intrest in hearing the 10th Doctor in an audio and likewise for 11.

Big Finish managed to get me to like Mel but changing my opinion of 10 & 11 is beyond even their talents :lol 

9. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
  10. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  11. Keith Prime

Keith Prime Advanced Engineer

News Credits:
    About time! Now I have to find a way to watch it (no cable/ BBC). :redface2: 

12. bcm77

bcm77 Not A Proper Fan.

13. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

Written by Stephan Baxter. That could be very good. Read several of his novels and enjoyed most of them. I'm not too familiar with the second Doctor and overal don't really care for Doctor novels.

Hm, my birthday :) 

I think we already have plans that evening (lots of free concerts in my hometown those weeks and that night looked interesting). Guess we'll have to figure out how to record with the VCR. Biggest problem will be that my girlfriend pet Rats have chewed away most of the VCR controls on the remote.

14. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    I've thought for awhile that that should be doing a full series with them and just have Hines do the Troughton parts.

I'd love to hear some full new adventures set up that way.

15. bcm77

bcm77 Not A Proper Fan.

I've never read any Who novels but a new story featuring the 2nd Doctor seems a good place to start as unless more stories get restored with animation there's not likely to be any more 2nd Doctor DVD's :( 

EDIT
    Tekkaman Blade,

Good idea!

Maybe something like that will happen for the 50th Anniversary, they could possibly do a similar thing for the 1st Doctor as well as Peter Purves does a good Hartnell.

16. TFtoycollector

TFtoycollector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  17. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    Saw the episode, when he said all of that he couldn't look the host in the face and fully admitted he had a copy of every suit he ever wore on the show, so he'd be ready if they called.
    He more or less said he was, but couldn't say he was.

Plus Matt Smith wants every living doctor to return.

18. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

Well, next year is the 50th anniversary so a special with the remaing Doctor's is a possibility. Definitely wouldn't object if only to see McGann as the Doctor again.

Didn't really care about the movie (too many ways it could be improved), but I really liked McGann's Doctor. Easily one of my favorites. And after reading an interview with him in SFX years ago in which he outlined some of the plans they had for the character in the show they would've made, I found myself really wanting a Tardis so I could get back in time and change history so we would've gotten an eighth Doctor series.

19. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
  20. bcm77

bcm77 Not A Proper Fan.