Doctor Who Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by deathsheadx, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    Hey guys, I was digging through some of my old stuff, trying to make room for more Transformers (imagine that), and came across an old folder I had when I was 12. All my old drawings when I was a kid were in there, including all my Tardis drawings.

I totally forgot that I had done these, I was a serious Who fan back then and am now. I guess this is just proof. I decided to submit this to the 'Where is the Tardis' (BBC Doctor Who Tardis Building Contest | Where's The Tardis?) contest that the BBC is doing. My entry is here: Tardis Entry #389 | Where's The Tardis?, but I also found some pretty freaking amazing ones that others have submitted, like "ShadowRams' Tardis". Tardis Entry #71 | Where's The Tardis?. I think I've got to find this guy here in NC, because that's pretty cool.

Figured you would all get a kick out of my 12 year old scribblings.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2011
  2. Rewind

Rewind Data Stick

News Credits:
    that's awesome! We need a whole thread for stuff we drew when we were kids. I have three notebooks full of "Transformers" that I created and drew when I was 10-12 years old. Hilariously awful! :D 

3. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Seeds of Doom is one of the best written and acted Tom Baker serials I feel, great story, one of my favourites anyway.

4. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

It's 4th on my all time top 10 stories list, all of which are from Tom's era.

5. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
  6. OmarJT82

OmarJT82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  7. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    I'm thinking Nixon...it's the nose...

8. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    It sounds less like Johnson than it does Nixon, so it's probably Nixon.

Then again, it could go either way:

[​IMG]

9. Ratchet2007

Ratchet2007 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's definetely Nixon.

10. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    For a moment, a brief, inescapable moment, I thought William Shatner was going to be under the alien mask. My bad.

It definitely seems like they're going for the 'amped up' dramatic horror that was so prevalent in the original series with the first and second Doctors. I like it, but I'm not a big fan of the camera angles. Also, my bigger fear will be that the season will sound like "Doctor Who: Now with 50% less British". The accent is what I love about the show.

11. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

I think the Americanisation of the show began with the TV Movie and the revived TV series has continued where that left off.

It makes sense from a marketing perspective as it's an easier sell to foreign markets but it's meant the show has lost it's identity as being a very British take on the sci-fi genre.

12. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    It's still done by a british studio, having some episodes filmed in america, means some new locations outside of the familar quarries and the usual sets. He can travel in time and space, but he can't go to america? Lets at least watch the episodes before we condemn them. It's a British Doctor with a scottish companion and her husband. It isn't Jack Black running around with the cast of Jackass.

13. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

What I mean is the style of storytelling is much more like an American TV series, the general approach is for fast paced stories that favor style over substance and there's too much focus placed on story arcs....everything has to lead into a "big" finale these days and all that does is build up people's expectations to ridiculous levels with the inevitable disappointment when it fails to deliver.

I watched that prequel and laughed at how unoriginal it was. Moffat did a thing with a creepy child's voice in his very first story and grey aliens in modern sci-fi were old hat long before Nu-Who even existed.

But because it's Moffat's work it'll inevitably be considered the greatest thing since the wheel.

14. optimus pie95

optimus pie95 Banned

I think it is Nixon, does any other president have a honker so big that can block the moon?
    Did anyone get reminded a bit of the empty child when the tape was playing?

15. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    The new series won't be the old series, it's it own thing geared to what they think this generation wants, while the old series were written for a previous generation. Several of them. It may change, but with the old series there were more episodes and the episodes were shorter in length, so they were able to draw things out longer. The new series have longer episodes and fewer of them. So on that alone they won't be the same. For fan of the older series I recommend the audio dramas, they have the same format length and are written along the lines of the old series. They also have the old doctors, so if the new doctors aren't your thing there are still plenty of new stories with the old ones to keep you going.

With what they have been doing with the new series, it has been successful, so they will continue along those lines. We still have doctor who on the air and if it continues, we may eventually see something that harkens back to the style of the old series, but if you don't like it you don't have the watch it. There are plenty of DVDs of the old series and new audio dramas to keep you busy.

This is a really good time to be a Doctor Who fan, the merchandise is easy to get and there is a lot available. Enjoy it while it lasts.

16. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

Please don't attempt to lecture me on things which I'm already more than aware of.

I understand perfectly why the show is made the way it is because it's the general trend for TV to be tailored to the lowest common denominator.....which is why I watch so little of it.

I do enjoy being a Doctor Who fan, I have done since I first got into it in 2005, it's just that my preference of TV era has changed since then and I won't blindly accept anything the BBC puts out just because the show has been brought back.

Even though he has no character of his own and is just doing a good impersonation of Patrick Troughton I LIKE Matt Smith as the Doctor. My problem is simply to do with the stories overall quality...the writers just aren't very good.

17. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    I'm not lecturing, I'm offering an alternate opinion. No one is asking you to blindly accept anything the BBC puts out just because the show has been brought back.

18. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

Sorry about that, I'm so used to people making inaccurate judgements on my personal character and generally telling me why I'm wrong for not liking various aspects of the modern show I tend to jump the gun and go on the attack sometimes when I really shouldn't.

I was actually looking forward to the next series until I discovered James Corden's character from "The Lodger" was returning for more than one story......like RTD it seems Moffat has a thing for hiring talentless so called "comedians" just because they happen to be the current flavor of the month in UK entertainment circles ( Corden's fat ass is everywhere at the moment ) regardless of whether they're good for the show.

His last appearance was supposedly the lowest rated story of series 5 so hopefully the same thing will happen and he won't be asked back again although I have this horrible feeling he'll replace Amy whenever she leaves.

If there's any stories without him or River Song then I'll watch those with an open mind but it doesn't look like there'll be many like that :( 

19. RebelMan

RebelMan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

20. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

Apparently the episode written by Neil Gaiman will be called "The Doctor's Wife".

And River Song isn't in it.