Doctor Who Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by deathsheadx, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Very much so, yes. There's not much around with him in it, but what little is left has him coming across well (except for The Gunfighters, but no one looks good in The Gunfighters). You'll see him in the last two episodes of The Chase.

And I loved Blake's 7. It used to air on my PBS affiliate between Red Dwarf and Doctor Who, way back when we still had Sci-fi Fridays. The effects and especially the costumes were pretty rough, but the show was fun and the ending was just brilliant.

2. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    They're really pushing this new monster it seems. Matt Smith, Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill switched on the Christmas lights where I live (Cardiff) and half the time they spent on stage they were going on about this new monster.

3. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

Man, that must have been a great time for viewing, the best sci-shows ever all one after another.

I think many people watching B7 for the first time today would have trouble getting past the roughness of the visuals but as with Doctor Who from the same period judging the quality soley on that would be doing it a tremendous disservice.

Whilst occasionally prone to similar silliness B7 was generally much darker in tone than Who and there were several very graphic ( for the time ) sequences of torture and innocents being taken out by Federation death squads that were a million miles away from the family friendly approach of Who.

The best character was Avon who was about as perfect an anti-hero as I've ever seen and the ending of the final episode is one that will likely never be bettered simply because modern TV producers wouldn't have the balls to have any ending that wasn't happy.

I've only seen 1 story with Steven as one of the companions and I thought he was OK although part of the reason was that the guy who played him ( Peter Purves ) later presented a motorcross show called Kickstart that was a favorite of mine as a kid.

4. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Call me a dork, but the rough visuals are one of the prime reasons I love Blakes 7 and old Who. I don't know why, I just do. I really want to go to film school when my wife graduates college in a couple of years, and if I ever get to a point in my life that I'm able to make a movie any way I want to, it is my goal to make a movie that purposely uses cheap sets and toys for space ships and the like. I just really like that stuff. I can see why others don't though.

Also, much praise to Terry Nation as the creator of both the Daleks and Blakes 7. It's just too bad B7 couldn't be as widely popular as his Daleks are.

I missed Blake when he left not because I'm big on him really, but I missed having him and Avon argue and disagree constantly.

5. Switchblade

News Credits:
    It was pretty cool while it lasted. But after they ran through B7 twice they started replacing it with markedly inferior stuff. Space Island One got a few runs through (never cared for it) and they put on a really old (like pre-Doctor Who) Invisible Man show that was so unpopular it got pulled after about a month. They did show the old Hitchhiker's Guide miniseries and Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere, though, which made up for the other two. Although, come to think of it, that was probably later, after the BBC put a block on syndicated runs of Red Dwarf for a few years.

These days all they show is New Who (season four, currently, I think) on Saturday nights. Red Dwarf is still floating around on some weeknight, but they classic Who became too expensive to get the rights to and it's been off the air since last spring. We were one of the only two or three PBS stations that were still airing it at that point.

6. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Man, I really miss watching Doctor Who and Blake's 7 on PBS.
    Every Saturday night, Who was on at 10 pm and I had to fight to stay awake, because at the time I was just a kid. No one in my area has played Who on PBS in like a decade in a half.

7. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

DrGrim,
    I think that because of the lack of technology for flashy visuals the production teams of Who and B7 had to make sure the dialogue was strong and what visual FX there were had to be created using every bit of ingenuity they could muster because they had a tiny budget........sometimes their ideas didn't work but it didn't really matter because the story was so good that could you could use your imagination and pretend it was.

Nowadays Doctor Who seems to be compensating for the lack of technology and a decent budget in years gone by as pretty much every story is focused around a big FX driven scene and the strong dialogue has gone out the window.

It's improved a lot since Moffat took over but still not to the point where I'd go back and watch many episodes.

Switchblade,
    Nu-Who series 4.....a great excuse for a night out if ever there was one :D 

Over the weekend I think I'm going to have a look at Pertwee's finale "Planet of the Spiders" as it's one of the last ones of that era I haven't seen and ends with what for me is the pivotal regeneration in the show's history, one that I cheered when it appeared as part of a montage on the big screen during Doctor Who Live.

Guess which regeneration I booed :wink: 

8. Switchblade

News Credits:
  9. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Nice. Glad to see it made it's way out there.

10. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
  11. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    Let me guess, the one you complain about endlessly?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  12. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

Wrong. I don't complain, I just state my opinion which I have as much right to do as those who like the eras I don't.

If it bothers you that much put me on "ignore" like any normal person would.

13. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No, I'd say you complain. A lot.

14. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    QFT.

15. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    What??! The Gunfighters is awesome! The funniest Doctor Who story this side of The Horns of Nimon!

Seriously... I love both stories. Great fun. :D 

16. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

Chill out FFS, I do at least talk about the show. Some people only seem to "contribute" by taking cheap potshots at me so maybe you ought to harass them instead of me.

17. Sideswipe1954

Sideswipe1954 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just love the fact that BBCA finally got wise and will air the Christmas special on Christmas, just like in the UK!

18. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

*second*

Yes, very very awesome. :) 

19. Switchblade

News Credits:
    I haven't seen it in years. All I remember is how insanely cheesy the singing narrator was.

20. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Backtracking a bit to Blakes 7, it really was a great show that had some unfortunate problems, largely due to corporate meddling.

One of their own problems was a complete misunderstanding with the model department, who used up over half of the entire series budget developing several different scale models of the Liberator. The story goes that the model department asked about the budget and were told the entire show budget rather than their department budget. As a result, the models of the Liberator were really, really, highly detailed but there was no budget for wardrobe and almost nothing for sets.

Then the series had to make a major left turn as Nations original idea for the end of Series two was that the enemies from beyond our galaxy was to be a full fledged Dalek invasion which would've been the entire arc for series three. The BBC fought it tooth and nail, trying to keep the Daleks unique on-screen to Doctor Who and eventually won.

There was also an indirect crossover with Doctor Who planned in that both shows would visit the same planet in succession in Series three. After nixing the Daleks, BBC also nixed this.

Then when you add in the loss of Blake after the second series, the BBC interference, and other problems and you can understand why the show seemed to start to suffer from Heroes Syndrome after that (Series 1 and 2 were very carefully crafted together, then Series 3 has no theme at all and goes on bizarre tangents, culminating in (IMHO) a very poor Series 4), which is a real shame as Series 1 and two are some of my favorite Sci-Fi. I even made the very unusual spring and I have the first three series on DVD (Despite region differences), including the deluxe version that had the Corgi Liberator toy.

It's funny, in the last month or so I found out one of my friends has recently discovered classic and new Doctor Who (largely through Netflix), so it's been fun to hear his reactions to stories and suggest serials for him, from his amazed reaction upon learning there's a Five Doctors story to his confusion upon watching one that was in the original format (Why was this story a bunch of 15 minute episodes?). It was also funny when he suddenly realized watching a "Genesis of the Daleks" that I had Daleks on my shelf under a Transformers shelf all this time.