Doctor Who Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by deathsheadx, Apr 5, 2008.

1. bcm77

bcm77 Not A Proper Fan.

Who cares? Donna is old news.

How can the show keep moving forward and evolving if the current production team keeps going back and tying up every little bit of continuity from the previous one? It can't, so some things just have to be dropped without any explanation.

2. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I wish he got to keep the fez. Fezs are cool.

3. knook

knook Let the Virus Consume You

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Now that Doctor Who is over, I'm thinking of watching one of the old Doctor Who serials, can someone give me a recommendation?
    Consider that I haven't watched many of the old seasons or episodes (I was forced as a kid to watch them because my parents were dead-set on them being brilliant for a child to watch... Interestingly enough they rarely watch Nu-Who)

4. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    I'd suggest the easiest way to into the classic series is to perhaps watch a few with monsters that have been in Nu Who (Daleks, Cybermen etc...that is if you like them of course - either way Genesis of the Daleks is a must) to help ease your way in. I'd say Pertwee or Tom Baker are good Doctors to begin with too. (that is unless you want to go Doctor by Doctor....)

Of course there's a lot of good episodes out there with just one off villains, but it's hard to pick from a show with such a huge range of episodes and actors.

If you want any more suggestions hit me up on msn.

5. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    None too shabby. I was a bit concerned for the first ten minutes or so though as it felt somewhat Bill and Ted with the Doctor keep going back and forth in time setting up things he'd need later.

Doctor: "Hey, I did steal my dad's keys after all!"
    Amy: "Excellent!"

*both air guitar*

6. knook

knook Let the Virus Consume You

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well I'm downloading Genesis of the Daleks now, thanks for the help man, I'll bug you for more suggestions once I'm done, I guess :p 

7. OmarJT82

OmarJT82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    YEAH, NOW THAT'S WHAT'S UP!!!

A 100,000% happy ending in my book! :rock  :rock  :rock 

Everyone (and I mean everyone) survived and lived and Amy (along with Rory) resumed her companionship with The Doctor as they move on to brand, new adventures! (exactly what I hoped for in the end) :thumbs2:  :thumbs2:  :thumbs2: 

8. bcm77

bcm77 Not A Proper Fan.

One other suggestion I have is to bear in mind that most Classic stories are split into 4-6 parts lasting approx 25 minutes each so if you've only seen the modern show it might be best not to watch a full story all at once because it will seem long winded by comparison.

As for other stories, here's some of my favorites from various Doctors,
    1st Doctor
    "An Unearthly Child" ( 1st ever story. )
    "The Time Meddler" ( Has the first appearance of another member of the Doctor's race in the show. )
    "The Dalek Invasion of Earth" ( The title says it all really. )

2nd Doctor
    "Tomb of the Cybermen" ( My favorite Cyberman story. )
    "The Invasion" ( More Cybermen. )
    "The Seeds of Death" ( Ice Warriors haven't yet appeared in the current series but probably will eventually so here's a chance to get a look at them before they're redesigned into something crappy. )

3rd Doctor
    "The Daemons" ( The Master is in it. )
    "Inferno" ( First time a parallel universe appears in Who. )
    "The Time Warrior" ( Has the first appearance of a Sontaran & Sarah Jane. )

4th Doctor
    "Genesis of the Daleks" ( IMO the best story from any era. )
    "The Talons of Weng-Chiang" ( Doctor Who's homage to Sherlock Holmes. )
    "The Deadly Assassin" ( The Doctor visits his homeworld and a different version of The Master appears. )
    "The Brain of Morbius" ( Doctor Who's homage to Frankenstein. )
    "The Hand of Fear" ( Sarah Jane's original departure. )
    "The Seeds of Doom" ( Look out for Boycie from "Only Fools & Horses" in a minor role and the baddies are killer plants. )

5th Doctor
    "Earthshock" ( Another Cyberman story that features the best exit a companion has ever got. )
    "The Caves of Androzani" ( Arguably Davison's finest story, which was also his last. )

9. Mr Grimm

Mr Grimm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I stopped watching at that point. I hate River Song as a character, and almost gave up as soon as she appeared, but that was the final nail in the coffin.

10. Baltan

Baltan Space Ninja

Hell yeah!

11. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    That was insanely brilliant. :D 

My favorite part of this had to be...well, everything. :D  Especially when the Dalek was yelling "Mercy!". I loved that, even though I am fully aware it is OOC. ;) 

I disagree, I'm a horribly inattentive person when it comes to long winded television, and an entire Old Who story was able to keep my attention easily.

12. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    I had to watch it twice to pick up on everything. Of course, the first time had constant interruptions from my almost 6 year old and 1 year old girls... you can't watch a complicated episode with them in the room. :) 

So... let me see if I have this straight. As River Song would say, spoilers:

when the TARDIS exploded everywhere (somehow, we have to wait until next season to tie THAT plot thread up! :banghead:  ) it destroyed all of space and all of time... except whatever was at the heart of the explosion. That just took a little longer (2000 years longer) to fade out of existence. But since the Pandorica was constructed in such a way that it contained whatever was in it perfectly, there was enough information inside it to recreate the universe if it was inside the TARDIS when the TARDIS exploded.

So the Universe is destroyed by the exploding TARDIS, but it's recreated almost exactly as it was by the exploding TARDIS. And then Amy brings the non-existent Doctor back into existence because she remembers him, even though he never existed.

I don't know... I enjoyed it, and I think I followed it, but it's all nonsense. Even given the internal logic of the storyline, and the generous suspension of disbelief that I allow Doctor Who as a series, I'm not sure I'm buying this. I'll have to think about it some more... and at least that's a good thing. It's a plot that makes me think rather than emote. Although it did a bit of that as well.

I still say this has been the best season of the revived show, and Matt Smith is the best Doctor since Baker mk 2.

13. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Even with all the mcguffins, it's still probably the best written finale in Doctor Who since the new series started. I throughly enjoyed it, and unlike the last 3 endings didn't have a "your kidding me that's the best they could do?" moment. I eagerly look forward to next season and the special at christmas. I see a lot of classic in the writing and can't wait to see what and who they bring back. I'm hoping for a more classic version of the master. But there are plenty of other baddies in need of a revamp. I hear we will see the yetti next year. Hopefully a multi doctor episode is in the planning as well. I'm also curious to see what Neil Gaiman has come up with for his episode. .....I hate that it'll be months before we see new episodes.

14. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

Absolutely adored that episode. Wonderful performances from everyone. Rory is great, first
    punching the Doctor
    then
    waiting for Amy
    . The fez was incredibly sexy. And you know what, I like River Song. She's awesome, especially with that stone Dalek. I loved that episode so much. Sooo glad Amy and Rory are coming along.. Rory is confirmed for next season, right?

15. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Hey, since so many people visit this thread and have such strong compassion for the show, and since season 5 is ended, in order to keep this thread alive with topics to discuss for the next year, what do you guys think of assigning a classics series story to watch each week and then discuss together? Is that too gay?

16. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

Psht, I have no problem with it. I was actually talking to Dirge about it, thinking we should watch a classics episode a week and discuss it. Like a Doctor Who book club. Oh man, that'd be kind of fun. TFW Doctor Who Episode club!

17. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    City Of Death. Written by Douglas Adams and released under a pseudonym. Great serial. I also recommend the Two Doctors, Peri is annoying as a companion but the final appearance of The Second Doctor (who shares a lot f traits with the current Doctor) and Jamie is just brilliant work.

The big bang was good, wasn't expecting that to work as it did but it was a good way to get out of an impossible situation. Unlike RTD stuff, it was a proper sci-fi resolution.

The Dalek begging River for mercy was a brilliant twist, Does them being fast fossilised mean that 3 of the new series daleks are already gone though?

18. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    I really dislike Deus Ex Machina's. This episode had one. I didn't mind.

I'm impressed, using a recursive paradox to fix the universe, even if it's not stated as such is brilliant. It also has all these little bits from the prior episodes that didn't make sense at the time make sense as well as The Doctor using the brides good luck saying to bring himself back was a really clever touch that I didn't catch on to until later.

Very clever overall. It dragged a bit at the begining, but really got moving and it seemed to fly by.

19. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    Thanks for that link Sage. Watched it earlier, brilliant, loved it, love Matt Smith, loved everything about this season. Can't wait for what's next.

I'm also all for discussing Classic Who episodes each week. I watch Classic Who episodes every night just about.

20. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

I think your going to have to force your self to watch the episodes of the 10th doctor with her in, there is an ending you might like... well sort of.