Doctor Who Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by deathsheadx, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Wait, what?
    I must have missed that bit.
    I dont remember seeing it at all.

2. Metalhead

Metalhead hates things

I thought I saw he had his jacket back on. Hmmm, considering everything else I'd say it's deliberate and part of the overall arc, not a continuity error.

Also, less attracted to Amy now, after all, 4 squaddies just died from getting too close to her crack.

3. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:

Hmm perhaps there are other out of continuity moments we have been missing. And as I said it looks like the crack is following Amy, Or the other doctor, as it appeared after the other doctor told her to remember. Is it chasing him? Or is he the cause? "Time can be rewritten".....if time is being rewritten, we may see Moffit bring more back with it.

4. Kando

Kando Well-Known Member

Dat ending! :eek: 

5. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What an episode, I mean I loved last weeks but this one is just as good if not better IMO. I'm really interested in who River killed(is Alex Kingston scheduled to appear later in the season?) as well as what the Doctor didn't notice with Amy. Also, o_O  at Amy's behavior at the end.
    Really? Better rewatch that scene if not the whole episode.

6. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

That final scene was fap-worthy. That's all I'm saying.

7. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    I finally feel like I'm watching Doctor Who again (yeah, I know... it's a dig at RTD's era. I can't help it.). The entire subplot with the artificial gravity turns out to be significant at the end, and the crack in the universe gets a lot of attention far earlier than I had expected. I was watching for these cracks to keep appearing and finally be explained at the end of the season, but it looks like the eleventh Doctor is a little more observant than his two predecessors.

And Amy throwing herself at the Doctor? What the...? Still, that does seem to be significant given the way he bundles her into the TARDIS promising to sort things out.

And we even get a reference to why no one remembers the Cyberking. Maybe the end of that episode will make sense at some point. Bravo.

8. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Well, because of the rain (digital TV, innit great? [/sarcasm])I had to resort to the BBC IPlayer on my Wii to watch this episode.

And I thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought the story itself (run away from the scary monsters) while simple was decently paced with enough stuff going on to move it along.

As to Amy... I hadn't picked up on any of the stuff mentioned in this thread before. I think I'll have to go and review previous episodes, but one thing I did wonder about, why did the Tardis crash in her backyard at all, and why did the Doctor want to take away Amy when she was a little girl? Did he already know then that there was something wrong with her?

Also, the Doctor not getting giggidy with companions seems, well, not normal. I say that because I thought the implication was Doctor 1 and 2 were getting it on with Rose, was too mopey about Rose to get it on with Martha, and Donna would rather kick him in the knackers than sleep with the crazy man.

Which leads me to believe that its not that the Doctor won't get frisky with companions, but rather won't get it on with Amy... because there's something wrong with her?

Also, 'No, I mean, GET A GRIP!'. A proper ending to a foreshadowed plot element as opposed to the Doctor waving his magical plot saving device? Excellent.

9. peeman

peeman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Im totally confused about the time line, i was confused when the doctor goes back for her at the end of episode 1 when she was a little girl, i dont get how that changed things.

Anyway does anyone know if river song is meant to be coming back this year? If she is its likely she 's meant to kill the doctor but time is rewritten. Unless of course matt smith has only signed on for 1 or 2 years in which case yeh they may be writing his death already but you would hope not

10. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    She's supposed to be in episodes 12 and 13.

11. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Loved it, strongest episode of the season so far IMO.

Matt Smith showed a great range of emotion throughout the episode, the setting worked to great effect and the time crack stuff explained enough to the audience without giving the whole game away. I thought it was a bold move to show the angels actually moving, but even that turned out really well. Seems there's more than meets the eye to River Song too, but it's going to be confusing to watch her in the finale and remembering she knows nothing of all these events :lol 

I also LOVE how it finally addressed one of my big problems with new Who - large scale alien events which no one ever seem to remember.

12. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I didn't take it that he went back for her as a little girl, more that she was dreaming, waiting for him to turn up. Then she hears the TARDIS and wakes up.

13. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I took it to be extreme foreshadowing of a regeneration story that has yet to be written. A case of knowing how the last story will go but not knowing when it will be needed. All being well, it is a story we hopefully will not see for a good number of years.

14. Sideswipe1954

Sideswipe1954 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For those of us in the US, who just saw Victory of the Daleks, quick question to those who might have seen ahead already. Have they explained why Amy has no knowledge of the recent Dalek invasion?

15. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

Your totally right about this, I'm now rewatchingthe first episode to see what he told her when she was seven, very interested in where they are going with all this.

I think fairy tales are going to come into this some where, name from a fairy tale, pandorical being a fairy tale all them being a fairy tail.

16. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    The cracks in time are, basically, devouring whole segments of time, causing it to have never happened in the first place.

:) 

17. bcm77

bcm77 Not A Proper Fan.

Wrong,wrong,wrong.

Firstly Matt Smith is the 11th Doctor, not the 3rd. The show originally ran from 1963-89 and came back in 2005 as part of the same continuity.

The Doctor NEVER "got giggidy" with a companion because above all else he is an ALIEN and thus wouldn't react to any kind of situation in a human manner or at least that was the case until RTD came along and humanised the character to the point where he was a pathetic shadow of his earlier selves.

Having the Doctor react to Amy's advances in such an awkward manner is a sign that Steven Moffat is aware that all the romantic stuff is for the most part unecessary to a show like Who and is making sure the Doctor is once again written to have the same "not of this Earth" eccentricity and unpredictablility that his first 8 incarnations all had to varying degrees and Matt Smith is portraying that side of the Doctor's character to perfection.

It sucks to have yet another companion throw herself at the Doctor but thankfully Moffat showed a level of restraint RTD has no concept of and didn't follow through with it just for the shock factor it would have caused and I think that speaks volumes about his attitude to the show.

18. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Now that everybody is on their toes looking for hidden messages, more stuff has popped up.
    People have started saying that the show intro contains a blatant change we all miss.

Theory is that each episode the lightning gets louder, and more of it hits the Tardis.
    It builds up every episode, and there is speculation that at the finale the intro may lead straight into the show as if its part of the episode.
    I dont know if anyone has looked for this before, I havent looked personally, but its interesting all the same.

Oh, and dont google 'pandorica' and hit 'Im feeling Lucky' if you're avoiding future episode spoilers.
    Its all stuff for the finale, and sounding very interesting I might add.

19. wipeyourfeet

wipeyourfeet Winner of the Internet

News Credits:
    Just did a quick comparison between the opening for 11th Hour and Flesh and Stone, and the lighting does get more loud, and possibly more intense. Anyone else seeing this?

20. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

The whole little scene after the Doc pats her on the head and says "later" was set up to be very subtle. Watching it again though it's obviously important to pay attention to. I pointed it out the first time. Definitely not a continuity error at all.
    When he tells her to remember she says "what did you tell me" he makes a bad face and says "that's the whole point" I take it she has either forgot, or he hasn't told her yet. Whatever it is, it's clear that there were two different Doctors in that scene