Do you think we'll ever see a return of Animated style figures?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NGW, Mar 31, 2020.

1. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Whether it be simple reissues (seriously, the line still holds up so well both in accuracy and as toys themselves) including the previous Japan or TRU exclusive figures or figures of the characters that never got them (Team Char, Omega Supreme, Scrapper and Mixmaster, tons of stuff from the Allspark Almanac) or entirely new figures of the original Animated cast made with modern design sensibilities, etc.

Granted, it really does seem that if it isn't G1 or G1-inspired it's a bit of a crapshoot for us to get any kind of a bone thrown our way (just look at how sparse Beast era releases are), and I do worry that any sort of return of Animated would be more Cyberverse and less Generations, but still...

• Like Like x 4
  2. Soundwavelover2004

Soundwavelover2004 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maybe

3. LegoLover58

LegoLover58 Bumblebee Gourmet

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Unlikely, considering how Hasbro essentially refuses to acknowledge its existence.

• Like Like x 9
  4. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

As a probability, reissues certainly seem like something that could happen eventually. TFA was so unique that it stands out as a toy line of particular interest.
    It would especially be welcome if they made a few improvements, like recasting Swindle without translucent limb pieces...That would certainly be welcome.

New toys on the other hand, probably not. In fact I can't really see that going well, I'd honestly worry that they'd try and futz with the visual aesthetic to try and fit it into a general modern generations line.

• Like Like x 5
  5. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland

News Credits:
    I never understand this line of reasoning. Beast Wars and the UT are pretty much entirely new designs and they're lucky to get an update once every five years or so. Animated on the other hand is basically just G1 design wise, but heavily stylized. Aside from the odd truly new design in the bunch, how can Hasbro "acknowledge" it without just making the same characters they already make, in a very similar fashion?

If the answer is to not G1-ize them like the UT updates we saw in Siege, but go full boar stylized to make them stand out, then why not just buy the originals? As others have said, those are pretty damn accurate already and they're certainly not going to be done any better today with all the corner cutting going on.

Animated may be a good show, but it doesn't have much to offer design wise that is truly unique without looking incredibly and totally different from everything else, so it won't fit into any existing line. And without a cartoon to support it, no way they're just going to make "Animated 2: the toyline". I think Hasbro's "refusal to acknowledge" it makes perfect sense.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Blam320

Blam320 Assembly Inventor

News Credits:
    I would really love to see Animated get more attention and new toys. It's a crying shame that Hasbro now refuses to acknowledge its existence, despite the fact that it has many very unique concepts, and is the source of breakout characters like Lockdown and Bulkhead, in addition to other important contributions to the franchise.

Sadly, it doesn't seem like Hasbro will release any outright new toys, given their attitude towards all things non-G1 in general.

7. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

I'd like to see more Animated characters get the ol' CHUG treatment like with ROTF Lockdown and RTS Lugnut.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Blam320

Blam320 Assembly Inventor

News Credits:
    A proper-sized Lugnut would be great. I'd also like Hasbro to revisit Megatron transforming into a helicopter gunship.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz Trying to achieve something

News Credits:
    I would like that, But I would also like to see the revisitation of Derrick J. Wyatt's designs with curved proportions and Sharp lines. To be realistic though, it will eventually happen, but not for another 10-15 years.

10. waflhaus91

waflhaus91 Co-wisest person at TFW, as proclaimed by barry.

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Tumblr:
    God I hope not. I'm no Geewun-er, but I seriously cringe when I see Animated character designs. They're horrible.

11. KuroKage2001

KuroKage2001 Gib Tigerhawk combiner

Based off recent trends, the best we can hope for is Optimus with love and effort put in and then one more character with their head and color scheme thrown onto a “close enough” mold.

12. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    I doubt we'll see anything new for Animated beyond maybe anniversary repaints. You look at mainline quality today compared to more than 10 years ago when Animated was out and you can definitely feel the difference. That difference comes at a price and it might be higher than what we are willing to pay.

Damn shame we never got Omega Supreme, would've been been a good way to close out the line.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

That's another concern. Even if they were to, lets say, make and put out the TFA Constructicon characters in the TFA visual style, the figures themselves probably wouldn't be to the same quality of the figures in the original TFA toy line years ago.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Pixelmaster

Pixelmaster >implying toys are good

News Credits:
    The thing is, TFA is such a stylized aesthetic I don't really think you can do the designs justice if you change it. I'd imagine the redesigns being wonky and polarizing at best, awful at worst.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

That's what I was saying before, my first concern would basically be, can they even still pull off the visual aesthetic of TFA anymore?

The second concern being that even if they could make it look, style wise, like they belong in the original TFA line, the overall toy quality likely wouldn't be there.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Scarlet knight

Scarlet knight Emergency Food Connoisseur

News Credits:
    I hope so Animated Prime and Beast wars need more figures

• Like Like x 1
  17. Pixelmaster

Pixelmaster >implying toys are good

News Credits:
    Another question would be: would TFA be appealing in international waters? Aside from the fandom in the West I don't really feel that TFA struck a cord with anyone. Collectors in Hong Kong just viewed it as that weird phase where a ton of characters got kidified. I can't see it being sold well.

18. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    A big thing, most of the design team who worked on Animated has left. Even if we did get new Animated toys, it's an uphill battle to sustain the quality we'd come to expect at a price we'd deem acceptable.

• Like Like x 3
  19. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    "No one deserves to have or should like this thing that I don't personally like."

I've never understood this position. If you don't like it, don't buy it. It's that simple.

• Like Like x 8
  20. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

That rather makes sense given they're apparently super Bay-former fans over there.

• Like Like x 3