Do you think this is the highest that Classics will sell for?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Aug 22, 2011.

1. MoonStreakr

MoonStreakr Heroic Decepticon

News Credits:

I agree with this idea.. but I think were talking about when our kids are our age. These classics totally rock and I dont see their value going anywhere but up anytime soon.

Has your interest in them peaked?

2. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    Oh, I wasn't talking aesthetics or whether or not people would try to shoehorn such a figure into their Classics collection (as some undoubtedly would, I'm sure). I was just strictly speaking about demand for the Classics figure and CC add-on set in general.

(Personally, I do agree with you that an MP-10+ UM and armor/trailer would tower over Classics figures and look more than a bit out of place since an unarmored MP-10 mold already towers over them as it is, so I'll most likely keep CHUG UM+CC in my collection for scale if not aesthetics alone.)

3. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Oh well in that case, that could be very well true. Aside from the re-issue, there really hasn't been a true official classics type Magnus. I can see where fans would go crazy for it.

4. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    The only things that dont fall in value are vintage pieces, there is only a certain ammount of that stuff out there, especially if your looking into boxed and carded stuff no mather if it is Sw or Tf or something else.

New relesed stuff lets say classic is produced in vast numbers and aimed at adult collectors and so on. Many ppl keep them mosc, many just display them, it is not like the 80s were you riped the box up and played with it in the sandbox.

5. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

I don't know about you guys, but I'm totally expecting my Classics Jetfire to put my hypothetical children through college.

6. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    You are aware that early G1 was produced in numbers that would dwarf any iteration of Classics, right? And that many of the collectible G1s that exist today exist because somebody kept them them boxed or on display?

If anything's going to kill the value of Classics, it's going to be the toy/cartoon industry's ADD. There's no long-running show to hook kids on these versions of the characters and spur that nostalgia 20 years later. Animated and maybe the Bay movies (even though they weren't terribly kid-friendly) have a better shot at repeating that.

7. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

if it has an official combiner set (not a repaint or 3rd party) and continues on producing the G1 cast. it will grow in value as a whole. if it continues until the G1 cast has been completed the value would just keep sky-rocketing.

i'll take it further down the line, i also suspect TF prime will be of greater value than past TF lines especially if it does have a decent combiner in it. the fan base have grown since the movies and has a wider appeal than past lines. i hope this line continues to grow as well and get every possible g1 reiteration and then some.

8. Star Saber

News Credits:
    Correct, kids these days have way too many distractions, plus the way things are donenow, you're attached to a name, not a character. A show these days lasts maybe two and a half seasons and doesn't get the rerun exposure G1 got. After that a new series featuring guys with same names but are really different characters show up to take their place. Hard to bring a real sense of connection when you only have that to go on with. The last Optimus we got that really spanned seasons was Primal, but it looks like Hasbro's done with BW as a toy series.

9. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I will be honest: I think about it probably a lot less than many people here. What do I predict? If the amount of fans stays the same, classics will be peaking within these 5-6 years, and dwindle off as the G1 fans phases out and fans that were introduced to transformers via Bayformers will be the central force of TF fandom. Then classics will start to drop in value and phase out a bit with the older crowd.

But all in all, I don't really care about most of this. If it drops it drops.

10. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    A/C/E

11. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    I think the peak will come when a wide retail release Trailbreaker, Gears, Brawn, Blitzwing, Shockwave, and Soundwave w/Buzzsaw and Laserbeak are made. THEN there will be a scramble for completionist catch-up that will push prices up a bit more.

12. Star Saber

News Credits:
    Unless Hasbro/Takara makes better definitive versions by then, in which case prices will drop for the figures that do get em :) 

13. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    And your saying the current UM + CC Armor doesn't tower over the figures? I think my collection would like to have a word with you.

He is like 2x their height. I haven't put my MP Hot Rod next to him to see how they stack up. But I think MP UM may not be that much taller.

[​IMG]

14. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    For sure, that will happen for at least some of them.

15. Star Saber

News Credits:
    Yes currently UM+CC is quite tall already. But he still fits in despite the additional height, especially when you factor in that Ultra Magnus has always been taller than Optimus/Rodimus. Scalewise, he's just slightly taller than a Voyager, but definitely taller vs deluxes, which is about right.From what we've been told, MP10 will be the same height as MP Grimlock. I checked around for photo comparisons, and here you can see

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...us-megatron-next-mp-grimlock.html#post5231242

http://cdn.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/attach/4/0/5/9/7/IMG_2066_1222373286.jpg

MP Grimlock is way taller than a voyager, probably the same height as a combiner, MP10 is the same height. Give him the height add-on of an Ultra Magnus armor add-on, and he'll be way too tall for the classics in my opinion :) 

16. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    Nope I did not know that but Im guessing it could be true. But that does not mather the fact that the whole point of collecting toys and the whole MOSC/ put toys on display and not play with them is a new phenomoneem.

Lets say we take any toy produced during the last 10 years. How many collectors are out there these days? How many dont hold their toys and think "oh man these are going to be worth alot in the future" ? There are litterely thousends and thouesends of ppl holding their new produced SW or TF or G1 joe toys or whatever that floats their boat in sealed form, or in a glass cabinett to protect it.

The above statement did NOT exsist during the 80s...kids bought the toys and played with them. The whole collectign world has not been around that long.

Example of a toy:

Classic Mirage vs G1 Mirage
    "How many MOSC classic Mirage is out there, how many does not play with him and just have him standing in a cabinett....vs how many got to kids that riped him up and played with him ?

With the G1..the later situation happend in 99.999% of the cases with a toy.

Nothing that is mass produced today is ever going to reach high numbers, the thing today that is produced an that I say will increase in value and keep climbing are the rare and exclusiv toys. " Wonderfest BT is a one example (the black one)".

17. RKillian

News Credits:
    Did you actually watch through all three shows?

Not even going down the road of how good/bad they were, but the cast really didn't carry over much between the three. Where the names stayed the same, the faces, and often the personalities, changed drastically. The closest to any kind of constancy was Optimus Prime and even he had three different bodies.

Compare to G1, where many characters were on the shelves for three years and had the same design from 1984 to Action Masters. Small wonder that those are the definitive versions of so many characters.

I've never been much of a fan of TF comics, but one of my biggest hangups about the modern series is the constant reinvention where everybody feels like they've got to rewrite personalities between miniseries and redesign bodies between issues. God forbid any one continuity or design sticks around long enough for anybody to get attached to them, just push the next round of product for the fandom to bicker over.

18. RKillian

News Credits:
    We have different definitions of "new" then because this has been going on since POTF2 launched in 1994 and the modern action figure era is considered to have started only around 1982.

Yes, the 90s-comic "collectibility" mentality is much more widespread now than it was during G1's run but modern production runs are smaller and have such microscopic availability windows that I think it'll balance out to some degree. That said, I do think that we're going to find several years out that you can't give away many Classics figures, because that's been my experience with other lines that were hot with collectors just a few years ago.

19. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

Yeah. The noly thing new about collecting is that it's easier than ever to find other collectors and interact with each other now thanks to sites like this one.

20. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist

News Credits:
    Wow, talk about a dream purchase!!!