Do you think this design of Optimus Prime should have been used in AoE instead of the current one?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by JazzIsBeast, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Ironhide1234

Ironhide1234 Here.

News Credits:
    That is beautiful.

2. MrNiceGuy

MrNiceGuy Well-Known Member

Drift is fine, but I never really liked Crosshairs or Hound. They really stretch credibility as being transformers and not just robotic humans. And all the gear and the weird car-jacket on crosshairs are just unsightly/unwieldy.

3. Galvatross

Galvatross Dreklord of Ogremarr Veteran

I don't get your point. What's wrong with having vastly different opinions about designs?

Alt mode kibble has never been particularly important to me personally. As a matter of fact, I like both designs that don't show alt mode kibble and those that do. Just like I prefer expressive, human-like faces for the main robot cast, but I also like the presence of more alien designs. I like both integrated weapons and handheld weapons. I like both traditional transformations and the KSI cube transformations. Transformers can be pretty broad I feel, so I think there's room for all of these things.

• Like Like x 2
  4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP #VernoWasRight

News Credits:
    Well, that is kinda where we started. Unless you can look at G1 Ironhide and immediately see a vanette.

In fact, while I don't agree with the movie designs having less obvious kibble (technically if you look there's plenty of alt mode parts, they're just so distorted or small they might as well not even be there) I do like it when a toy can hide away as much alt mode as possible. And I dislike/like these for the same reason. On a toy, it's impressive engineering, on the movie designs it's a lack of engineering. Not that the movie deisgns were ever physically possible, but they were believable. Parts transitioned between modes with clear "schemes" to convince you that the designs were conceptually feasible.

And the thing is, they could've still done that and kept the intended look. Would Optimus look so much worse if his front fenders were his pectoral boobies instead of the morphed beyond recognition doors? How about his hood bent into his shoulder pads, or wheels tucked into the backs of his legs of torso? The same design could easily be achieved without removing almost any trace of an alt mode. It's one of the reason TFA's designs worked so well. They could've just ignored plausibility and done whatever they wanted, (like have Bumblebee's chest be the actual car roof) but they accomplished the same looks whilst maintaining enough to feel like they were transforming and not magically morphing.