Do you think the JP Exclusive TF "Robotmasters" line should be lumped into CHUG?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Crossblades, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Crossblades

Crossblades Combiner fan

I want to ask if any of you guys think the Robotmasters toyline should be incorporated into CHUG. I personally think so. In a way, Robotmasters, for being a JP exclusive toyline, sort of started the whole "Classics" thing and I remember this line was a pretty big deal to everyone back in 2004. It was kinda like Takara's own version on the TF Universe line(the repaint line, not the one that's associated to CHUG). So what do you guys think?

Oh, and for those that may not know what Robotmasters is, take a look at the link below ;) 

Robotmasters (franchise) - Transformers Wiki

2. Crossblades

Crossblades Combiner fan

No thoughts? Or is it that no one is aware of this line?

3. Smokescreen38

Smokescreen38 Fight fire with smoke!

News Credits:
    I'm inclined to say "nah."

They have a very different aesthetic for the new molds and the rest are reprints that don't fit.

4. levyshahar

levyshahar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like them. I use an oversized ko version of their mirage as my classics mirage (don't like the classics mold). Starscream is also nice, wish it was bigger

5. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Nope, don't really see the fit...never collected the line though...always imagined it as a different Universe version of G1...

6. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    The beast wars figures might fit since they are supposed to be smaller(I think).

7. LSyd

LSyd Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    kinda, maybe more like a different type of "hybrid style."

for a while (2009-11ish) i used SW and TC in my CHUG display because they scaled with Revoltech Megatron (didn't like the CHUG voyager).

[​IMG]

-

8. Morbo

Morbo Knowledge Brings Fear

Wasn't familiar with the line. Looks predominantly to be Beast Wars and Machine Wars redecos, with a few G1-style new molds sprinkled in.

To me, they lack having quite the feel of the Classics stuff, which introduced a definite style and has mostly stuck with it, though they've departed somewhat lately with the IDW stuff and the fact they're sizing down. Style-wise, they seem somewhere in between CHUG and Unicron-trilogy stuff.

So, I'd kind of consider it to be proto-CHUG, rather than CHUG proper. Interesting to see the ideas of CHUG beginning to develop, though.

9. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I have a Reverse Convoy. I place it with my Generations figures. I ain't drinking Reverse Convoy, though.

10. Dachande

Dachande Janitor. Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Even though it's one of my favorite lines (only need Leo Convoy to complete the series of standard releases), it doesn't fit well with Generations. The combined form of Star Saber/Victory Leo is basically deluxe-sized, while the majority of the line is scout-sized.
    I do believe it has the absolute best Optimus Primal figure made. He has everything- wrist guns, jetpack, swords...

11. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Classics ≠ 100% G1-accurate figures, or rather, it shouldn't be.

The whole point of the Classics line from the very beginning was to modernize G1 characters with redesigns. Robot Masters Optimus and Starscream pre-date the line and were supposed to be slavishly G1-accurate in a time when Masterpieces weren't commonplace. We're starting to see Classics figures with the Robot Masters mindset due to the new design team who doesn't know or care about the intention of the line, but figures like Arcee are the exception rather than the rule.

So no. The only one who somewhat fits in is Primal, since most of the other Beast stuff isn't redesigned since they don't really need it. Even then, he's tiny.

12. Driskull98

Driskull98 Love that Driskullhausen

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Ninety-percent of these are Machine Wars/Beast Wars figure redecos.

They don't belong.

13. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    Nah, although I wouldn't have minded if the Classics Seeker mold had borrowed a bit from the Robotmasters mold. Apart from the legs, the Robotmasters Seeker mold kicks the tailfins of both the Classics and FOC Seekers.

14. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    when i was younger i thought the optimusprime from that line was a knock off

15. TacticalBacon

TacticalBacon Garbage Enthusiast

News Credits:
    While fiddling with Lio Man one day, it made me think "holy cow, he could totally fit perfectly with the Classics". So yes, they should be part of the line (though it's unlikely they'll ever show up).

16. DarkPrinceofKaon

DarkPrinceofKaon Formaly known as D'POK

Ebay:
    The Robot Masters line was brilliant for its day but I do think that, when compared to modern classics, that it simply does not surpass the test of time.

The new molds that Takara created for this line were extremely interesting. Reverse Convoy, the Seekers, Star Sabre, and Leo Prime all come to mind when I think of this line and most have been forgotten by now and completely underrated.

Loved these figures when they first came out and imported everyone of them. But when compared to modern classics side by side, they just don't stack up. The Seeker mold seems extremely goofy by todays standers and the articulation was barely passable at best. Another cool feature was that all the smaller figures from the first wave came with clear, translucent weapons that all could combine into a larger super weapon much like Arms Microns!

Yeah, They all were kinda; "knish" and I loved em'. I keep em' around for the nostalgia factor.

17. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Why does everything have to fit into CHUG? They're Robotmasters. Leave them at that.

18. flik68

flik68 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This ^

19. Crossblades

Crossblades Combiner fan

Because it seems everything G1 related is lumped into CHUG. Just figured I would ask :p 

20. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    I think if you want to display them with other "classics" toys, go ahead. I think they match decently enough. But you really don't need anyone's approval for that anyway :) 

In general though, they're kinda their own thing - when someone says "CHUG", I'd never think to include them.