Do you think the heavily-stylized toys could look good as CHUGS?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Venixion, May 5, 2020.

1. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    BW/Bay/Animated/Prime/RiD15/Rescue Bots/Cyberverse

Obviously not counting the old characters, do you think that the heavily stylized toys could look good in the more traditional CHUG style?

Getting noses, shortening chins, as mechanimals, making limbs more proportionate, etc.

Do you think they'd lose something by being adapted in this style?

Are there any characters that you would like to see adapted?

For those who have been adapted, what did you think of the change?

I think they did a pretty nice job on Barricade. His colors are superb, his face and altmode looks nice, they coulda done better on the feet though.

CV Cheetor looks great! If only I coulda found one. I would take more of the BW crew in CV style. Particularly Stampy, the bat, the bird whose name I can't remember and Rhinox.

I think the Rescue Bot style is fine, but I would like a line that is both transformable and articulated. I'm not sure how you could incorporate the hat on Heatwave anyway? Quickshadow and Blades would look pretty dope in a traditional style.

RiD15's animal Cons were the first time I was generally interested, since the Dinobots and Ratbat. It was also the first time the Animated/Prime style didn't make me go eww. On one hand, it would be interesting to see them become more realistically proportionate to their animal counterparts, otoh I think something might get lost in translation. I would be interested to see Thunderhoof, General Glowstrike, Filch, Steeljaw, the buffalo dude, the bat, the frog, Quillfire, Polar Claw and Tricerashot. Well all of them actually.

Skyquake and Dreadwing would look rad! I might actually be interested in getting a Knock Out.

Shatter, Dropkick and the appliance bots would be a big yes.

Last edited: May 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Scarlet knight

Scarlet knight Emergency Food Connoisseur

News Credits:
    Absolutely

• Like Like x 1
  3. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Sure. I'd love to see Diaclone-styled versions of the more stylized characters out there.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I really think a lot of it depends on the actual character. Some are kind of defined by their designs, like a lot of the Prime stuff. The sweeping angles and distorted proportions work for them and may not be as characterful with a more blocky, realistic design.
    Then again, HftD Lockdown and Lugnut were superb, so really anything can happen with the right designs.

• Like Like x 8
  5. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    Absolutely, I'd love to see Prime Bulkhead with non-ridiculous proportions.
    (he can still be BIG mind you, just not "round" and... stupid looking.)

I'd love to see movie Blackout and Barricade with faces that don't look like insects and bot modes with a defined silhouette.
    (I don't count Siege Barricade in the slightest as that was a zero-effort repaint)

Some of the interesting but poorly done Armada designs would be cool to see: Smokescreen, Scavenger, Cyclonus, Side Swipe even another go at Hot Shot

The Car Bros from RiD'01 with cleaner, less kibbly bot modes and less organic-is limbs.
    (and use the Japanese names)

RiD'15 Strong Arm

• Like Like x 1
  6. Scarlet knight

News Credits:
    I actually thought Bulkhead's proportions were great i want them to keep them

• Like Like x 1
  7. artiepants

News Credits:
    but then he wouldn't look CHUG/G1... I'm not saying lose it entirely, just downplay it so it's not so exaggerated.
    That level of stylized proportions is just out of place aesthetically.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Scarlet knight

News Credits:
    I like it but why does every bot have to look human?

9. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Bulkhead's design in general is what helps him stand out from other characters. Making him look a lot like other Autobots would feel wrong. If we're talking about having him have a G1 styled look that still evokes his geenral proportions like say have him look a bit like G1 Grapple/Inferno with the front of the truck evoking his big stomach then sure that's a good way to do it.

10. artiepants

News Credits:
    I don't think quite "human" (the cassetticon animals for instance)
    but G1 has a design language, and CHUG generally keeps to it: that's one fo the reason Siege rankles so hard for me, they overdid it with the sculpted surface detail and it starts too look "off brand"

But there's a proportion thing that holds generally true of CHUG robots having "heroic-T" proportions, and while you can stray from that and exaggerate aspects (TR Blurr is long and skinny, Classics BB more 'bubbly') if you go too far, it just stops looking like a Transformer (in the G1 sense)

I'm fine with stylized designs in their context (i.e. Prime itself), but when you "cross the streams" it feels off ~ a good example is CW Long Haul, now: his design was obviously compromised to serve the combined mode, but his hulking proportions and tiny arms and stubby legs make him feel ridiculously out of place (but if you stuck him on an Armada shelf, maybe not so much)

With Bulkhead, I think in Prime he was just a little too far exaggerated compared to the rest of the designs, and felt like a holdover from Animated which was an aesthetic that I hated, possibly even more then nondescript Bay-former spikey alien insect bots. Like, his bulk and 'roundness' pushed past my suspension of disbelief. (I prefer his toy design actually, since it angles off the roundness and feels less beach-ball-like in the proportions)

11. artiepants

News Credits:
    yeah, I think you could take some cues from Movie Hound too. Some big military truck with a similar transformation to the Uni.2.0 Grapple/Inferno. Maybe with break apart windows to get some of that angle to evoke his roundness.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    I'm not sure how well little Fix-it would translate.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Scarlet knight

News Credits:
    His arms would probably be blocks

• Like Like x 1
  14. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Yeah that works too. Things like to still give Bulkhead his iconic design traits in a more standard manner.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Backbeat

Backbeat Well-Known Member

It's a case by case thing. I think barricade loses something as just a prowl, but evil. But thrust and breakdown looked epic in unite warriors. I think it's a case by case thing.

• Like Like x 2
  16. artiepants

News Credits:
    given the amount they were peddling that Siege Datsun bros mold, I can't believe they didn't AT LEAST give Barricade a new head based on his evergreen design. Even with my complete and utter disdain for that mold I'd have bought a CHUG Barricade if he'd had a new head.

17. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Bulkhead might work as a repaint of CHUG Rhinox. I hate his design so I'd be glad to see a more G1 look for him.

Collector's Club or Hero Mashers Heatwave could work for pre Earth Rescue Bots Heatwave. Same with Titanium Thrust as Terrorsaur.

20200504_173625.jpg

Last Knight Barricade was repurposed as is G1 self and it looks less alien than his 07 appearance.

I never liked Rattrap's design especially his robot face having buck teeth but I do like the Botcon repaint of Cybertron Ransack.

I'd like to see Cheetor and Tigatron get G1 Prowl type faces instead of the cat faces their robot modes have in Beast Wars.

Lugnut and the aforementioned Rattrap prove that characters who were originally stylised can transition to the traditional G1 look.

I'd love to see the Real Gears retroactively put into G1 fiction. They were criminally neglected and they have some great designs.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Prime Noble

On top of actually enjoying the Cyberverse cartoon, I have bought a few figure because I like Scout size cars and relevant to this thread, I find some of them blend nicely with the traditional G1 aesthetic.

I don't like Wheeljack's beard in the show but his 1 step toy doesn't look like it has a beard, more like an Optimus Primal or even Batman face mask look.

20200506_120313.jpg 20200506_120143.jpg 20200506_120504.jpg 20200506_120406.jpg

Prowl is a little more stylised but not jarringly different. I do play around with the idea of repurposing him as Streetwise or repainting him as Rapido or Natron.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Scarlet knight

News Credits:
    I'm sorry what?

you're asking them to change a big part of their look? Their face makes them recognizable

• Like Like x 1
  20. Prime Noble

Personal preference. I hate their faces. Between Rattrap's face and grating voice, I find him an offence to the senses.

I liked Animated Bulkhead, partially because he shared a voice actor with the Gargoyle Broadway, both of whom were portrayed as likeable underdogs.

Prime Bulkhead gave him a generic tough bot personality with a generic voice. He also replaced Ironhide in the original line up which contributed to my dislike of him. But closer to the topic, I hate his head design. He looks like a cast member of the Movie Robots rather than a traditional Cybertronian.

• Like Like x 1