Do you think TF3 will be the last film?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Chris B, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Chris B

Chris B Well-Known Member

That's a question that I was curious to see the answer to from other posters. Since this seems to be a common perception.

So do you?

I don't think it will be. One reason being that I recall Bay saying around the time of TF1's premiere that he see up to five being made. But the more important reason of course is money. Looking at TF1's box office and if ROTF lives up to financial expectations, then its not grasping at straws to say that TF3 will more than likely duplicate that kind of success. Even if it falls to the "third movie curse" like 'X-Men: The Last Stand' and 'Spider-Man 3', both those films were still widely successful despite generally not being up to par with their predecessors.

2. StarSaber79

StarSaber79 Banned

News Credits:
    I do but I hope I'm wrong.

3. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I think it might be the last film of the trilogy, but they may start up another TF Movie franchise long after this one is over. Bay said he'd like to take a break up till about 2011, and start work on TF3 then.

4. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Really tough call at this point. It's been pretty common in Hollywood to do three films and then let a franchise sit for a while. But then that's no hard fast rule either.

I guess it's going to depend on how the third film does in the realm of public opinion. A third film can make a good deal of money and not green light a fourth film because the public perception is that it was a bad film so the people investing the money in films aren't quick to invest if they think the fourth film would run the series in the ground and not make money. For some reason the public just seems to get tired of series after the third film these days. It's like the public is so fickle these days that by the third film the general public is like been there, done that, got the tee shirt, now I'm bored.

Also depends on the creative team. The writers it's not hard for them to go out and do other things between films but for the director the film takes up all his time so will Bay want to do Transformers films the rest of his life or does he have his eye on some new project after Transformers? Some time actors don't want to be typecast by becoming too known for a roll so it's hard to say who would sign back on after their three films were up.

To hazard a guess I'd say it will most likely go three films then get a rest. One day down the road they will relaunch the film franchise in some new direction to make it seem all fresh and new. And then Transformers fans will have something else to fight about.

5. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    In all honesty, I really wish that Transformers 3 would be the last film.

6. Scourgatron

Scourgatron 4D Smart-ass

News Credits:
    Bay said he would keep making them. I assume as long as the money is right.

I think he said this at Showest(?) 2007

7. butz

butz slippery when wet

If they do, I hope they break away from the formula. Even if 2 and 3 are really good it'll still get stale sooner or later.

8. Scourgatron

Scourgatron 4D Smart-ass

News Credits:
    I agree... I somehow think that taking it farther into the future would be the way to go. That way, we can take it off world and still have humans. Space marines would be awesome.

I still would like to have a "Megatron's device of the week" movie. PURPLE GRIFFIN! Imagine that thing crushing a city :D 

9. Brutus

Brutus Autobot

Anything that brings in over 700 Million dollars isn't going to stop being produced.

10. Autobot_Wall-E

Autobot_Wall-E The Musical

They could do TF3 then a Transformers: Origins type thing of everything before the movies (Cybertron and the history) and then what went of in between the movies (like the bridge comics only not exactly the same story....) Then have some sort of an epilogue at the end.

11. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Well-Known Member

Maybe TF3 will be the last movie in Bay's version, but what is to stop somebody else from making another Transformers movie?

12. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    No, TF3 will not be the last film.
    After Paramount pays Bay, Orci and Kurtzman enough to buy their own island nation, the franchise will be turned over to Joel Schumacher.

13. Scourgatron

Scourgatron 4D Smart-ass

News Credits:
    Bay can sit back now and make his percentage. 100 million bucks... Lets hope he is no Wesley Snipes.

14. ThaRizla

ThaRizla Well-Known Member

Didn't Bay also say Megatron wasn't going to be in the movie . . . .

15. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Even though James Bond has had 21 films a long running franchise like that gets radically shaken up every so often. You had the Sean Connery era but the public got tired of those sorts of Bond films so we had a very different James Bond during the Roger Moore era, the Pierce Brosnan era was different than that, and now the Daniel Craig does something very different to make Bond appealing to the tastes of today.

Or like Star Trek has had 11 films but 6 of those were original crew, 4 were the Next Generation crew, and now we have brand new original crew for the latest film.

So even if they do want to make Transformers films from now until humans stop making movies I think we will see some radical shake ups to the franchise so it doesn't get old and stale to the general public. If the years of cartoons and toys are any indication though the film franchise should have an infinite ability to reshape itself as long as people are willing to put in the effort to change Transformers to fit the times.

16. Scourgatron

Scourgatron 4D Smart-ass

News Credits:
    This was before movie 1 even came out. I don't think him raking in the cash has anything to do with the misinformation campaign.

17. BDbots72

BDbots72 Well-Known Member

I would honestly love more TF films. Simply because transformers isnt just a kick ass 2.5 hours in the movie theatre for me, i'll see the movie about a dozen times, but more importantly I love talking about for a up to a year before hand. Essentially I indulge in my imagination a bit.

If they were doing more then 3 films, they would have to find a way to introduce new main characters i think. You cannot have Optimus Prime as the main bot in 5-6 films, but that being said, is it possible to replace him with a bot thats more joyful to watch... likely not.

18. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I hope it's the last one by Michael Bay.

19. Bottom Out

Bottom Out Well-Known Member

im hoping for at least 5 movies + an origin movie

20. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    I expect that TF3 will be the final one involving Bay, Lebouf, Fox, etc. simply since most multi-part movie franchises don't go past Pt.3. Not only do most movie goers not expect it and feel a sense of being done once a Pt.3 comes out, but actor/director/etc. fee's go up with each installment, actors start to bitch & whine about exhaustion or typecasting, and generally speaking, Pt.3's never do as well as Pt.1's & Pt.2's according to public opinion. They might make a ton of money, sure, but more often than not they're torn to shreds by the same fanbase that made them successes in the first place.

Then again, there are now some acceptions to the rule - Indianna 4, Pirates 4 & 5, Spider-Man 4 and rumored 5, etc. Seems that a lot of directors & studios are now open to trading in the standard 3 installment formula for 5 where & when warranted. So who knows, maybe Bay will give it a go as well. I personally just don't see how interesting anything can stay for 4-5 movies.