Do You Think Prices For TFs Will Increase As Time Goes On?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SuperRock7, Jun 23, 2020.

?

Do You Think TFs Will Get Another Price Increase?

1. Yes

51 vote(s)
    96.2%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. SuperRock7

SuperRock7 Out of money and ideas

News Credits:
    Currently stuck between a rock and a hard place
    If I’m not mistaken, TFs costed less back than compared to now, do you think the same will happen a few years later?

2. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Ya you must be new. We had a good price hike when SS happened and it hit every line. MP Ultra Magnus was around $120 USD and he is a big boy. MP Bee V2 is $120 and super tiny.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Venixion

Venixion Evil Dust Bunny-con

News Credits:
    I think it'll rise and fall depending on the state of the economy and other factors at any given time.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Feralstorm

Feralstorm To Infinity - and Your Mom TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Eventually, everything gets more expensive.

- except electronics.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Astrowing19

Astrowing19 Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    That depends on whether you're adjusting for inflation or not.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Accept no imitations

News Credits:
    Yes prices have always gone up and almost never down EVEN when you account for inflation.

• Like Like x 2
  7. rodimusconvoy

rodimusconvoy Well-Known Member

MP Magnus was never 120.

8. Gepard

Gepard Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The prices for everything go up over time. The real question is if the value for money will decline over time, and if Habsro will keep cutting costs even as they raise prices. We've arguably seen it fluctuate back and forth, with a bias towards getting less for more money.

• Like Like x 3
  9. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Electronics are climbing in price due to lack of availability. GPUs, CPUs, APUs, and PSUs are becoming pricy due to no new shipments and retailers have been raising prices due to lack of traffic, etc.

On the main topic, yeah, TFs will continue to climb. Not right this second, because they know we've made ourselves clear about this, but they're waiting to raise them again. Goldner even said as such, they'll ultimately pass the buck onto the consumer, they'll have to.

10. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Everything is more expensive as time goes on, it's inevitable.

There was a point where going to a theater in the US was a dime for as many films as they showed. They used to have an organist or small band play the soundtrack live during the film in the theater.

During the oil crisis Hasbro outright said at that time that they design figures not on the cost of production when they design the figure, but at what they think the price will be when they got made, since the normal design process is around a year, that's taking a lot of forecasting into the budget. It's also why figures jumped in prices several times in such a short window. During ROTF, the budget increase was actually eaten by the retailers, Hasbro pushed a price increase for ROTF, but it didn't move and Walmart immediately dropped the price to get them to move and the other vendors quickly followed suit, dropping the price back to where it was and took the minor loss to their profit margin to weather the difference. It's part of the reason there was a parts count decrease between ROTF and DOTM figures. (They also cite that they realized that they were getting too far ahead with complex transformations which was loosing younger children/key toy buyers, which I also fully believe)

In least years (I think) earnings call, the CEO of Hasbro answered the question that as long as material costs increase, they have to pass the cost on to the consumer either by making simpler figures or increasing the prices.

Also, you're mistaken about prices, you're looking at 146.8% inflation from '84 to today. Using the 1984 Sears Christmas Wishbook prices and an inflation calculator

Optimus Prime and Megatron - $20.99 - $51.80 in 2020 dollars.
    Soundwave - $14.99 - $36.99 nowadays.
    Starscream and Skywarp - $11.94 - $29.46 today.
    Autobot cars - $9.94 - $24.53 equivalence.

That's without sales tax. Now, Sears didn't offer the cheapest prices, but that's a good default price for a nominal price guide. Sure, the '80's had sales like we do now, but for a regular price, it's a solid guide.

Even with the WFC price hike, it still only brought them into line with the original prices for "Leaders" and the jets. Everyone else is still comparatively cheaper.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  11. Megasquared

Megasquared Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Does a bear shit in the woods?

• Like Like x 4
  12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP #VernoWasRight

News Credits:
    Yes, due to inflation. Beyond that, production and material costs are constantly on the rise for numerous economic factors.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Chris Bot

Chris Bot AutoChrisbot

News Credits:
    "And now, we rise..."

• Like Like x 1
  14. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Prices will go up as Hasbro's equity goes up, inflation goes up, cost of materials/resources and labor go up. While it's easy to point out just 1 factor, usually there are multiple factors at play.

We can boil it down to this though when it comes to buying future Transformers: Do you think you'll still be getting more bang for your buck in the future? If you aren't already feeling this way now, I doubt you will start to feel that way in the future. MSRP on Transformers has gone up substantially in the past 10 years. You're paying old voyager prices for new deluxes. New leader prices for the physically closest equivalent to old ultra class figures from 20+ years ago.

The price increase in Generations hasn't been as drastic as it has been for the MP line within the past 2 years FWIW.
    Prior to shipping and if you preordered from some of the bigger Japanese etailers, it was. I think mine was $125 before shipping.
    Very true. The lowest point within the last decade was in 2012. From then on the Generations line specifically has slowly but surely improved to the point where I don't have the buyer's regret I had from 2012-2015 roughly.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Well-Known Member

There are many reasons why TF (or any other product) becomes more expensive: infation (money looses worth intentionally), increase in costs (labour/salaries, raw materials, transport), and several others.

That means lowering prices is incredibly difficult, because the reverse has to happen. Deflation (money increasing in value) is not something you want because it's very bad for the economy. A decrease in costs is possible. Suppose worldwide alternate sources of energy become very popular, that means oil is less in demand and thus oil prices drop (plastic is made from oil). Likewise, if salaries drop it's cheaper to make these products (but the workers in the factory are already on very low wages, so the real cost-cutting would have to be in the higher paid regions of HasTak).

But even then prices likely won't drop. Because if HasTak succeeds in making these figures cheaper and they keep charging the same price, then their profit soars and stockholders will be very happy and the people in charge will get bigger bonuses.

The only way prices will guaranteed drop is if there a worldwide economic crisis (bigger than the 1930's, the 2008 and the current one combined), with worldwide drop in jobs and surplus oil/raw materials. Because that would mean that all circumstances have been met, plus the demand at the consumer end will have dropped (nobody can afford them anymore) and thus they have to lower prices or they won't sell any. But at that time we will all have much, much bigger problems and getting TF's will be such low priority. (And in comparison, they will still be expensive because our own financial situation will be abysmal.)

So lets hope they keep on increasing in price...

• Like Like x 2
  16. Blackout32

Blackout32 PANTERA FAR BEYOND DRIVEN

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Oh YES they WILL INCREASE just like the food YOU EAT increasing as time goes on. I wouldn't be surprised as in say 100yrs from now that toys,food,games,cars and even the beer you might drink as well if you do drink ends up costing x100 more in cost.

17. Soundwavelover2004

Soundwavelover2004 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Maybe

• Like Like x 1
  18. NemesisJazz

NemesisJazz Well-Known Member

Are you asking if you should invest in transformers? I would say that values do go up but eventually dip for a lot of figures. Some of the t30 stuff were awesome before but were eventually replaced by better counterparts.

19. backhawkdown

backhawkdown Well-Known Member

When I was a kid, milk cost a nickel!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Beta Maximus

Beta Maximus Well-Known Member

My take on this is in the used market. I started collecting in about 2015. Did a lot of eBay buying. Which is all perceived value. I have noticed a distinct increase on your average deluxe figure on there. 3-5 years ago, getting a deluxe for $10 wasn't too odd. Now it seems like it's a solid $20 for most of them. Meaning most used figures now go for as much or more as new ones rather than the opposite. I read this as an influx of new collectors beefing up new collections. Which is great for us as a community, but the old wallet still grumbles.