Do You Think It's Ok To...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by The Kup, Nov 7, 2016.

?

Ok or not ok?

1. Yes, it is ok.

11 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. No, it is not ok.

72 vote(s)
    86.7%
  1. Fenrir Zero

Fenrir Zero Permanently Retired (1984-2020)

And did you read the last sentence I have stated where I have referenced Walmart? Just checking. Because I never said that Walmart does not do this. I did, however, say that not every business does this.

So you referencing both puts into question why you are arguing about something I never said.

2. Fenrir Zero

And your dismissal on the fact that people buy items for a fraction of its retail value from one source, returns it to another source for profit, and uses that profit to buy a more expensive item that cost them nothing is duly noted.

Because according to loss prevention, they consider this both a form of fraud and theft. And I am pretty sure it is their job to know these things. ;) 

• Like Like x 1
  3. BenjaminXavier

BenjaminXavier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This thread was started about someone returning things to Walmart. That's why I'm talking about Walmart. TRU and Target have the same policy and also sell toys. Other retailers do not enter into the discussion.

4. BenjaminXavier

News Credits:
    He bought the case at BBTS. Their cases are sold at Walmart's retail prices (within a few cents anyway).

Fraud would be if he put the barcode from a $20 item on a $5 item and got $20 credit.

Returning an item that Walmart sells and getting a store credit which he has to spend at Walmart is not fraud. It is within the rules of their return policy. For it to be fraud he would have to defraud them of something. He has not.

5. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is part of the reason why I don't have a problem with making returns without a receipt. You are limited to the amount of returns you can make (I'm pretty sure they put your ID in their system as well). Walmart doesn't want their policy abused so they placed a limit on how often it can be used. What's the big deal again?

So, let's say you bought a TF from store A. You toss the packaging and receipt. Store B then lists the same toy for sale for 50% off. Is it ethical to buy from store B and then return the newly purchased one to store A?

6. BenjaminXavier

News Credits:
    That is a problem, but in this case the Bumblebee figures have not even hit retail yet and will sell immediately. Also: that is someone using their receipt for one item and using Target's lax stocking procedures (stoking all SKUs in an assortment under 1 DCPI) to essentially exchange an old toy for a new one. Slightly unethical (especially here on Toy Messageboards) but still completely within Target's policies.

Here's the thing: Target and Walmart care more about keeping a customer happy (even a customer that returns something occasionally without a receipt) than they do about having 2 action figures that didn't come from their home office on the sales floor. They sell millions of dollars worth of merch per store each year. They don't care about stuff like this and specifically allow it to draw in certain types of customers.

7. BenjaminXavier

News Credits:
    Exactly.

And this is the same thing. Target and Walmart know that people do this and don't care.

8. Fenrir Zero

And yet, other retailers were brought up. Plus, I also stated that there were reasons why I try not to buy things from Walmart. So why was that not acknowledged?

9. B'Bantor

B'Bantor Extra like OMG

I own a store. While the practice is indeed at best lame as stated by a member above, I wouldn't lump in the guy who returns a spare figure from a case he bought online with those who buy a figure and return it with junk in the box or buy something then return it after removing a needed part.

A buddy of mine once told me that years ago he'd worked at a Wal-Mart upstate and some fellas who were working there were taking empty cases of motor oil, filling them with expensive electronics and sealing the cases back up.. then they'd buy the cases. Now that's theft. The guys were eventually caught and arrested.

*When I buy a case of figures online and there's one or two I don't want, I put them on the shelves in my own place.. no hassle.

10. Fenrir Zero

Good summary. Unless those who create the policies say they have no issues with this, the answer is "No."

But if people asked me about me being ripped off, instead of justifying their dismissals, they would hear about my local Fry's doing far worse than this. And this is one of those cases where I would look the other way.

11. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

Is it okay to buy all the shelfwarmer stock from your local store and return it all to the same chain store the next town over so your local store will restock with the latest wave?

Or how about if you drive around to all the Walmarts in the area and buy up all the stores stock and then return all of it to a single store...just for lolz. Is that okay?

12. BenjaminXavier

News Credits:
    I have no idea how your post applies to Walmart. It looks like you're saying "your first retail job" told you things were sent back to the main office before they're allowed to be resold. Wherever you worked is not Walmart, correct? I have no idea what you're asking/alluding to here. Unless you're just talking about not buying things from Walmart (the only part of your post about Walmart) but your personal preferences have nothing to do with their return policy.

o_O 

13. B'Bantor

B'Bantor Extra like OMG

I should buy a case of TR Wave 2 from BBTS and return 'em to my local TRU that's likely the only way the wave would ever see their shelves. Luckily I found all my wave 2 guys at Walgreens while hunting Brainstorm. Curse all of you who purchased two Brainstorms online to obtain free shipping and then returned one to Walgreens for full price! CURSE! Clogging store shelves with a desirable toy oh I think I might fall over ill!

14. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

Sounds like that article is talking about unsealed, unpackaged items. In that case, it makes sense to send it off somewhere first and make sure it's suitable for resale. Although it doesn't explain why you see scammer's returned crap figure in another figure's package..or even the correct figure returned in beat to hell, ripped apart packaging.

• Like Like x 1
  15. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    its not a problem if you actually got it from the store. it when people buy items that belonged to another store, and "returning" it to walmart....each store has its own statistics,and the store losses money everytime. so if i got a figure from a walmart from several towns over, i'll return it at THAT store, not my regular one i go to. if i want to return something i bought a few states away, i just accept the fate i put myself in...

see this one i have mixed feelings on......on one hand i see no problem if its THE EXACT FIGURE....but on the other, i think about asking a friend for help, then turning him down when i find another friend, even though the first one is literally past "i'm ready state"....

• Like Like x 1
  16. ar78

ar78 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A lot of things like this happen during Christmas when stock from all kinds of different stores is exchanged for other items. It becomes an inventory nightmare.
    Your links are talking about a different problem where people are returning fraudulent or stolen merchandise for store credit. Something that can not be resold and causing the retailer to take a 100% loss. Returning an item that was paid for that can still be sold by a retailer does not result in a total loss scenario. That is blatant fraud and the same as shoplifting because the consumer got a complete product for free.

Returning items bought at one retailer for store credit at a different one mostly just screws up inventory counts. Even returning an item bought at one Walmart and returning it to a different Walmart will add a +1 to inventory. The loss shows up if a product that is returned has a different profit margin from what is sold using the store credit.

Say Walmart gives you $10 store credit for a deluxe figure. They receive a product that they did not have to pay anything for. If they sell that product they make $10 gross instead of what they normally would have made. With the store credit purchase they lose whatever that item cost them. Most of the time it is a break even scenario. You still shouldn't do it though.

A better idea is if the store allows you to exchange the figure you don't want for a figure you do. That way it is an even swap and one unit of inventory is taken out and another added. If a retailer does stock the figure that you brought in, there really isn't much of an issue. Problems arise when you try to exchange an exclusive figure or something the retailer does not stock because it will not be in inventory and can not be priced correctly. Some people game the system by purchasing figures for $9.99 at Walmart and exchanging them for $15 figures at Toys R Us. However, the figure was sold at Walmart and they made what they wanted to make and if the exchanged figure sells for $15 at Toys R Us, they made what they wanted to make. There was no direct loss at either retailer.

17. Shuggaroth

Shuggaroth Need Titan Omega Wings/Tracks

Ebay:
    Thats some fucked up thinking. The reason that stores allow no receipt returns are for the customers that have legitimate reasons for it. Abusing that policy is just that, abuse. You think its ok because you're only returning one or two figures. You're not the only person that does crap like this, not just for toys, but anything a store carries. Returning something to a store you didnt purchase from is fraud.
    Return fraud - Wikipedia
    specifically
    • Cross-retailer return: Returning or exchanging an item purchased at another retailer (usually at a lower price) for cash, store credit or a similar, higher-priced item at another retailer.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Fenrir Zero

There was a 2012/2013 article that shows what was returned and restocked. It pretty much goes with what you are saying. And what I once experienced when it comes to my local Fry's long ago.

All I can say is that one of the items I returned was not supposed to be sold in the first place. And when it was revealed that the product was unusable, they still reshelved it.

19. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

So is it fraud for Hasbro or toys r us to replace your broken or misassembled toy with a completely different one albeit a pegwarmer?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  20. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    i thought it was policy that if they can't find the exact figure that they send one equally priced and similar design....thats what i've been told by customer service before....