Do you think Hasbro will make another attempt at another ambitious TF cartoon?

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by WolverineDragon, May 17, 2021.

1. GrimlockPrime19

GrimlockPrime19 I always have the high ground

News Credits:
    Tbh I didn't, but their content has been great for a good time since the movies. The games, cartoons, many things were good until tfp. Then we have just got shit since then (except BBM maybe)

2. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Sure...but at what cost to the rest of the franchise in terms of media resources and costs?

The question is
    DO YOU THINK HASBRO WILL MAKE ANOTHER ATTEMPT AT ANOTHER AMBITIOUS TF CARTOON?
    And the answer is no as long as cartoons like that are eating up resources.

3. BigRed

BigRed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    At what cost? Clearly none, since Rescue Bot is a profitable venture into itself handled by a different team. Hasbro doesn't sit there with a bucket of 'limited money to be spent across ALL Transformers product at the exact same time'. Projects are pitched and approved and tested. You don't even have a reason to sit down and try to imagine otherwise because since Rescue Bots appeared we have had more unique molds per year of release than we had before, so clearly development is not being constrained by this line existing. The only line that has "suffered" in recent years has been the product for major cartoons like RID2015 and Cyberverse but that likely has more to do with the fact that kids of an older age range buying toys has declined more and more along the years and now we have a toy market composed mostly of really young kids and older hobbyists.

Furthermore, Rescue Bots began production after GI Joe Renegade has closed down and staff from that show was spread between Rescue Bots and another Hasbro Studio show called Kaijudo, so even on a mere media production basis we know Hasbro wasn't stretching themselves thin and began production of other shows only after "less promising ventures" like GI Joe, Strawberry Shortcake and others had already gotten an unfortunate end.

4. CaioSilvatheScreamerFan

CaioSilvatheScreamerFan Destron New Leader

Facebook:
    You mean changing cast and setting ?
    Are you saying that because of Allspark Almamac ?

5. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I'm not speculating about toy product sales. I'm speculating about "the major cartoons", in which the cartoons have suffered budget cuts. If Hasbro had shut down Rescue Bots or rolled them into a shared cartoon with the primary sub-brand, we could get a more ambitious cartoon. Of course projects are pitched and approved and tested. But there won't be an AMBITIOUS project like the OP is asking until the brand unifies per G1.

We still know they are spreading themselves thin as they refuse to commit to quality video work (Cyberverse is one step above flash animation and Netflix's budget is so constrained, they can barely afford to have Transformers actually transform) and decided to spend money on non-union VAs on the cheap. I love me some Cyberverse - but I can only imagine what could have been with proper animation.

Brand synergy is really the only way to world build and create a legacy. Perhaps Hasbro feels like they don't have to build a new legacy with the current generation of kids. But franchises like Star Trek and Star Wars didn't get where they are by reinventing the wheel every few years. Even with Star Wars, where you have cartoon styling, it's all part of the overall brand and synergizes with the rest of the series. Clone Wars, Rebels, A New Hope and Rogue One...they all share the same space.

• Like Like x 1
  6. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    No. That was for Aligned, not Animated. Aligned is everything I'm talking about done wrongly.

7. CaioSilvatheScreamerFan

Facebook:
    Ain't Rescue Bots part of Prime's continuity ?
    Oh boi, you don't get to beg for synergy by bringing up this devil which retconed a lot of EU material set in that time period
    1: You didn't answer my first question
    2: My original comment was about Animated and you replied to it, you didn't change the topic into Aligned until now

8. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Loosely. But why not just make it actually a part of the Prime cartoon?

But there is one continuity to retcon.

The Allspark Almanac is for Aligned, not Animated. I said altered was an immense amount of world building in Animated that got cut short due to the creation of The Hub.

9. CaioSilvatheScreamerFan

Facebook:
    Because it's conflict is far removed from what Prime was going for narratively and tonally
    What ? Since when ?
    and this still doesn't change the fact you were replying to a comment about Animated, not Aligned

10. ScientistMan

ScientistMan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Everyone has their own vision of what direction the franchise needs to take but you're the first who said what we need is more bar graphs.

Cause if there's one thing modern Star Wars is known for it's a consistent tone and plotline.

11. Rojixus

Rojixus Celebrating 40 Years of Transformers!

No, it is for Animated. It has the characters right there on the cover. You're probably thinking of the Covenant of Primus, that was for Aligned.

• Like Like x 1
  12. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Probably so.

13. Chaos Studios

Chaos Studios Traditional Animator/Storyboard Artist

Probably not. Why try to be creative and try new things when you can rehash the same G1 cast again and again and again and again, and even if the fans complain about too much G1 theyll still spend 100s of dollars for their collection. Thats the funny part, its like hey! why dont we backtrack on all the different transformers media that weve made in the last 20 something years to rehash the same G1 characters a thousands times in different "special editions". Whats worse is that the movies will follow this format aswell, and so will the rest of tf media. Like good luck getting hasbro to even aknowledge the unicron trilogy, or animated, or rid 2001, or RID 1015, or even prime, G1 all the way!

14. DarkAxalonSyde

DarkAxalonSyde Excessively Angry Decepticon

The lack of budget for newer shows is not a result of Rescue Bots. That series started while Prime was on the air, a show that reportedly cost in excess of a million dollars per episode. It's Prime's failure that caused Hasbro to go cheaper with all subsequent shows. Rescue Bots has been going on with it's own budget because it's successful in selling toys to toddlers, a demographic too young for shows about war. If Hasbro got rid of it in favor of Cyberverse, all they'd be doing is losing that demographic and therefore losing profits.

15. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    That's holding on to the theory that Cyberverse would not appeal to kids who enjoy Rescue Bots, of which absolutely costs Hasbro money each year regardless of when it started. That's a fallacy. There's nothing stopping Hasbro from canceling Rescue Bots and moving those characters in with the cast of Cyberverse and spending the money saved to make a better Cyberverse.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Chaos Studios

Chaos Studios Traditional Animator/Storyboard Artist

considering prime ended a year before the massive success of AOE i find it ridiculous how they treated prime considering how bare bones their toy release was, i mean compared to other lines, prime really didnt get alot of figures or alot of the toy based character never appeared in the show. Honestly hasbro's mishandling of the budget's is whats more frustrating than anything.

17. DarkAxalonSyde

A fallacy based on what? What evidence do you have to support that? Especially considering that, despite how the show may appear, Cyberverse can be a heavy show, with lots of death. Blurr, most named Seekers (including the two most prominent: Starscream and Slipstream), Prowl, Shockwave, Cheetor (one of the kid appeal characters), Drift, Maccadam, Iaconus, Croaton and Megatron have all died, so far. I find it hard to believe a show like that would be suitable for Rescue Bots' demographic of toddlers.

This seems to be an issue with Prime's production team. Hasbro, at least initially, seemed to take a hands-off approach, with the toy line not coming out 'till awhile after the show's start, just so Hasbro would know what was in the show. Then Arron Archer's replacement (I can never remember his name) decided to try and take a more hands-on approach, which the studio pushed back against, with very little of Beast Hunters' character designs being introduced, in spite of most of them being mere alterations of existing designs.

Edit: I might be wrong about it being Archer's successor who introduced Beast Hunters. I think that was one of Archer's last lines.

Last edited: May 19, 2021
  18. CaioSilvatheScreamerFan

Facebook:
    spoilaz duuude
    You got it pretty close, it's Aaron
    Huh, i didn't knew about that

19. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Yes, it can have grimdark moments (and better ones than WFC). I have a strong suspicion toddlers are watching it anyway because Bumblebee. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Transformers introduced and immediately killed off Skyfire in his first episode. When I saw it, I was seven and "Fire In The Sky" immediately became one of my favorite episodes. (Unfortunately, the writers dug up the character within the next couple of episodes just to use him as a transport. I mean, WTF?). I guarantee you that 4-5 year olds can handle Cyberverse and probably are doing so right now.

But that is neither here nor there in that it's diverting from my point. Hasbro CAN'T invest in an ambitious cartoon if it's spreading its media resources and pitching five different sub-brands of Transformers at once. The proof is in the pudding, so to speak, when segmentation of the brand really got going after Prime and non-union workers began being used after RiD15. Arguing for segmentation is fine but is a red herring in that we haven't gotten an ambitious QUALITY cartoon since then. That's my line and I'm sticking to it.

• Like Like x 1
  20. DarkAxalonSyde

Yeah, I remembered that a few minutes after I made that post. Still can't remember the name of the dude who was in charge for AOE/T30.

There's some sort of exposay, by someone who worked on the show, that gets brought up and re-posted on here every now and then that says the studio pushed back, although it also claims it was a new producer or director or something. I'm not sure I believe that detail, since Hasbro's change in attitude is pretty self-evident just from the timing; how it took them so long to put out the initial Prime figure, yet Beast Hunters' toy line came out concurrently to it's season of Prime.

Eh, that's entirely possible. Still, the success of Rescue Bots' speaks for itself, so it's clearly been offering something that other TF series haven't.

You can stick to it, but that doesn't mean it's correct. As I pointed out before, Rescue Bots started while Prime was still on the air and continued throughout RID15. Clearly Hasbro can invest in more than one show at a time, without compromising all of them. Also, where are you getting five different sub-brands from? Rescue Bots, Generations, Cyberverse and the Movies only make four. We have the Botbots and Nickelodeon cartoons coming, but Rescue Bots and Cyberverse are ending.

Last edited: May 19, 2021