Do You Think Hasbro Is Doing This?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GrimlockAutobot, Mar 25, 2008.

1. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Volcanicus Torso

News Credits:
    Somewhere Wearing The Dinobots As Gloves & Boots
    Do you think HTS.com put preorders out for the TF Animated line because they're trying to gauge interest in the line?

It might make sense that they opened the preorders so that they can see how well it's selling.

They could then in turn go back to the retailers and say "look at these numbers. The TF Animated line is selling (and selling out) like crazy. Would you be interested in moving up that street date?"

I think it's possible. I mean if a studio can move up the release date of a movie because people are chomping at the bit to see it, then Hasbro could certainly move up some toys. (after showing retailers the pre-sale numbers)

What do you think?

2. DJ Soundwave

DJ Soundwave Action Figure Master

Hasbro has always done pre-orders on alot of the stuff............

3. BrokenSVT

BrokenSVT It's not broken anymore.

Yes.

No.

I like your idea, but I sincerely doubt it's the case. From a marketing standpoint, the second section of your post makes perfect sense, after seeing the horror of the TFTM line being vacant for weeks after the initial ship. To that point, a presell to gauge interest-and thus demand-makes sense as a tool for retail.

4. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    Hasbro is doing presales on alot of stuff. (Iron Man. Indiana Jones) But, those movies aren't even out yet and TFA has been out for 3 months.

I think retailers don't want it yet because they over did it on the Movie line after the intitial shipments went dry. Now they have WAY TOO MANY and want to unload them before they start a new line.

Bottom line is, Hasbro and the retailers are a little shell-shked because of this^^^ and how poorly the Spiderman 3 line sold.

They're both being a little gun-shy in the process when they should be releasing TFA now.

It's possible to have 2 TF lines out at the same time....it's happened in the past and will happen in the near future (TFA and Universe)

If they're pre-ordeing well then why not now?

5. BrokenSVT

Don't take this offensively, but you come off as sounding like you have insider info(sketchy insider info, but I digress) AND as if you haven't a clue, all in the same statement.

Truth be told, we don't have any info that points to Hasbro "over-doing it," "having WAY TOO MANY," or that they "want to unload." In nearly all circles, it looks as if movie figures are flying off the shelves still, and that's[generally] the entire line, not just exclusives. Many folks are still anticipating upcoming repaints, as if they were brand new toys; myself included(c'mon Jetstorm :p ).

I can't see anyone being "gun-shy," and I can't see that they "should be" releasing the figures, my own sefishness aside.

My point? Nothing really, other than to say that one shouldn't make bold statements without knowing the facts/figures to back them up. Like I said above, TFTM figures are still selling well, even at my two local WM's. I live in Nowheresville, so that says something for the popularity and demand for these figures. There will always be shelf warmers in any toy line, but trust me as a retailer myself, the stores nor Hasbro will lose a penny on those clearance figures at the end of the season.

6. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Hasbro won't start a new toy line in the first three months of the year. Toy sales are dead. It's time to run out the movie line now. Save Animated for this summer, when Cartoon Network plays reruns on weekdays. Then demand will explode.

7. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    You don't have to take my statements personally. It's my opinion that the movie line is becoming quite stale and in most stores that I've seen they've become shelfwarmers. There's Movie Starscreams, First Strike Primes, Ironhides, Evacs, Nightwatch Primes just collecting dust. There's countless deluxes just hanging there week after week.

Don't get me wrong either, I LOVE the movie line. I own alot of them myself. I just really think they overdid it and it's time has passed. That'a my idle speculation.

My opinion is based on the observation that the Movie toys are becoming shelfwarmers. We went from not having enough movie toys to go around to swimming in countless shelfwarmers and repaints.

Don't take it personally. You're reacting as if I just insulted one of your family memebers or something.

8. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Uh...didn't the retailers actually specificially order MORE movie toys to be shipped and made because these toys were doing so well it was almost obscene? I mean that's the reason behind the Premium line that I heard. Because these movie toys are most certainly not shelf warming nor do the stores want to 'unload' them as fast as they can. Hell, in most KayBees by me, all the TF movie stuff is more expensive now then when the movie actually came out(13 for dlx, 25 for Voyagers, 10 for Real Gears etc).

From my understanding, the delay in Animated toys is because the retailers wanted more movie toys. So the Premium line was added, which pushed back the Animated line.

I certainly doubt after the absurd success of this summers movie line that retailers will be in any way, shape or form shy about ordering more TFs.

9. BrokenSVT

There wasn't a personal tone in either of my posts, aside from this one:

Your "facts" were opinions, I pointed that fact out to keep things on track. I agree that I would love to see the Animated toys on shelf, but the cruelty of retail is that they aren't here and likely won't be until the release date(or near it). Ultimate BB came out ~1 month early in my local WM as I recall, so there is hope.

Like I said in my second post, don't take it offensively there was nothing meant to be taken personally.

10. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    I NEVER claimed that any of my statements were "the facts"....that's why I purposely used words like "I Think" before some of my statements. That way it conveyed my opinion.

Nor did I intend to offend anyone.....including you. But, I'm glad to hear you weren't offended.

11. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I dont know. To me I still think Hasbro has made a mistake. For one the show is out now and its core target market have no figures to play with while the show is on, and that's what kids like. They want to recreate and act out the show with their figures. If I was a kid now, well, younger, I would still enjoy the show, but feel left out.

I seriously think when animated comes out and the show is over, kids may forget about it and move on to the next big thing. I really dont think many kids are willing to keep tabs on looking for animated figures. I am sure when they hit stores and kids maybe see them, they might go, "Oh yeah animated toys" and maybe grab a couple.

But TFTM should have been done long ago from crappy repaint to crappy repaint and milked it too long when they at first could not meet demand. I think now when animated and Universe/Classic 2.0 come out, those line will be pushed and milked until TFTM 2 line which makes me think that could also be reason why they are letting TFTm trickle out so Animated can help them carry over towards the new movie.

12. DELTAsnake

DELTAsnake Decepticon

News Credits:
    The large retailers already have bought there stock for wave 1, it's in warehouses around the world just waiting for the release date. No amount of "numbers" at this point is going to alter the plans for TFA.

13. e3nine

e3nine I have a large MISB collection.

News Credits:
    a few reasons for the pre-sale:

TF Animated is popular. By the time the toys are released, the Saturday morning sensation might have fizzled by then. (You know how quickly kids trends change). By having the presale, Hasbro is informing the public, "they're coming".

It's also done to lock up sales. (duh) This will keep orders away from places like BBTS and eBay.

14. Super_Megatron

Super_Megatron Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Why does anyone take a preorder? To ensure they have sufficient stock to supply the demand once the item is available.

15. omega ranger

omega ranger Well-Known Member

I still need time before the release of TFA. I'm way behind. I want to catch up on my Allspark Power toys already!! Plus distribution isn't good over here, my parents are going on a shopping thing in Chicago, so I'm going in to look for AP exclusives at Wal-Mart. Hopefully it will work. And no Overcast....

16. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    This (sexy) man speaks true statements.

17. Edgewise

Edgewise Fanner

News Credits:
    I don't think they're doing it for any reasons other than just getting the pre-orders out there.

However IF they were doing it to get some data/marketing response I think the idea would be more of trying to convince retails to order more toys not to move up the street date. Heck, didn't Hasbro set the street date? If Hasbro wanted to change it, what's stopping them from changing it? Why would retailers need convincing to start selling merchandise sooner?

18. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Really? In Ottawa Nightwatch Prime was gone in like a few days. As soon as a deluxe or Voyager hits the shelves in these parts, their gone. Real Gears and legend s figures are what clogs us up here.

19. ian5555

ian5555 Well-Known Member

The oldest reason of course $$. They get full retail with these pre-sells and don't have to sell them to target/walmart for half of retail. Even with free shipping and 10% off they are doing better off then selling to retail stores and it's another avenue to get their product out there. It gets people buying directly from them on more then just TFA now. First time I ever had ordered something and I plan on ordering more as they come in with new stuff. Sure beats trying to track all of them down at retail.

Even if people are pissed they missed out on some pre-orders, who cares? Certainly not them because how many people are going to be SO pissed they missed some figures that they will not buy the entire line. Zero would be my guess.

20. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Preorders are also taken to lock up sales. HTS realizes the street date is 3 months away but interest in the toys are already there so they figure they can start “selling” the toys as preorders now. If they wait til later then they have to compete with every other retailer.