Do you prefer definite tf origin or ambiguous?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by batfan007, Nov 9, 2016.

?

Do you prefer tf definitive origin or ambiguous?

Poll closed Dec 9, 2016.
  1. Definitive origin across all continuities

10.3%
  2. Ambiguous origins (any /all ) continuity

17.2%
  3. Each continuity has its own origin that does not affect others thanks

72.4%
  1. batfan007

batfan007 Double the Dragon

News Credits:
    In your tf do you prefer a definitive origin across all series and lore, more ambiguous origin, or each continuity it's own thing?

2. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    I'm going with each continuity doing it's own thing myself. Sure there are some I like more then others but it overall allows more creative freedom and helps makes each universe it's own distinct thing.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Option 3 (I like the Quintesson origin myself, but I also would like the franchise to be free to do whatever)

Mostly, though, I feel it's sorta irrelevant. I mean, a "meeting your maker" plot is fine and dandy, but it doesn't need to be a requirement.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    I'm still not sure what this is about, but if its about the genesis story of the Transformers so to say my favorite one is the Quintessons as the creators of the Cybertronian race through the supercomputer Vector Sigma (who is not a God but is sentient) who provides the Sparks from the Allspark that is at his core (and that is headcannon ;)  ).
    But i'm fine with there being other Genesis stories as long as nobody has the arrogance to try to retcon one or other genesis story across all continuities.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Throw out all the ideas on the table but ultimately leave it ambiguous.

• Like Like x 1
  6. GirlBot

GirlBot Mini-Cassette

News Credits:
    I like the ambiguity of it. I really liked the concept of the First Thirteen when we didn't had all its members known. It left a lot of room for inquiry: is the old Maccadam a part of the Thirteen or are we just imagining things. It was fun, like solving a puzzle yourself. That's why I kind of like the IDW G1 approach where you have all those origin stories ranging from divine intervention to old "naturally occurring gears, levers and pulleys". Besides, a vague or a legendary origin story makes the world seem much bigger, because there are still things yet to discover. It's a lot like with our history: there are a lot of things we know about and there are a lot of things we think we know about, but a lot of things is still out of our reach. Just look how much time we spend on sifting through the dirt to learn more about our past.

I don't like the Quintessons origin that much, mainly, because it takes away the uniqueness of Transformers happening and makes them something that can be replicated. I prefer the Aligned version where the Quintessons conquered and occupied Cybertron. I also support a head canon where Transformers existed in an Alternity form that was given a physical form when the Quintessons stumbled upon Cybertron. At first they would assume that they discovered a very useful resource, but later they would notice that something is not right with the robots they created. So it's more of an idea that Quintesson's helped the Cybertronians gain physical form, but did not directly create them. Still, the naturally occuring gears, levels and pulleys are my favorite!

• Like Like x 2
  7. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Let each continuity have it's own. I HAAAAAAAATTTTTEEE when they try and stretch something across all continuities, like they tried to do with that "Universal singularity Unicron" BS.

I want writers to be able to attempt their own creative choices. And when those choices are spectacular failures, I don't want other continuities to be saddled with them.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Kirby0189

Kirby0189 Soundpost

I feel like if we got the same story each and every time, it would become very repetitive and dull. While every continuity has planet Cybertron involved in some way, they should never use the exact same story unless they want to convince their viewers that they are running out of ideas.

• Like Like x 2
  9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Exactly my thoughts. I don't want the 13 to be part of TFA's origins, for example.

10. batfan007

News Credits:

Even in the G1 toon they added that weird episode I think in S4 where Primacron apparently created Unicron, and hinted at creating the quintesons.

11. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    That was season 3.

And yeah, I also like the IDW approach of no clear origin. Ambiguity between conflicting beliefs makes them more relatable as characters. Although I prefer the Sunbow season 3 take more than any others.

And I still want any new continuity to have the freedom to take their own approach. The absolute worst thing that can happen is when Hasbro or whoever tries to force some new one-size-fits-all origin over an already existing continuity retroactively. Like Primus or whatever. Stop that crap. Primus is great for some origins. Not all.

• Like Like x 2
  12. batfan007

News Credits:

Yeah 3/4 depends on what region you are in, to how they released and played them divided them up etc, then when they redid them for DVD release the episodes order got shuffled yet again.
    at least the episode numbers are relatively reliable, but again differ by region.
    not really official "seasons" as such, but more wherever local TV networks decided to make gaps in their programming or bank episodes for a particular time of year.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  13. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    The G1 cartoon was kinda odd with how there were apparently several different 'species' of transforming robots all with separate origins. The Quintessons made the Cybertronians (but without that trademark ability) and later the Sharkticons and Allicons (this time capable of chaging form), Primacron made Unicon and the Primitives (the latter of which are also proper Cybertronians, which gets confusing, especially when it turns out the Matrix of Leadership was one), and then there were a few other random alien robots that also had the shape-changing ability. It's interesting to ponder what could be happening in the universe; could it be they can all trace their origins back to a single source, or perhaps the galaxy is just predisposed to transformers....
    (reminds me of the Planet of the Apes novel)

14. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    Oh but i very much see them as that.
    Its like Lord Imperious Delirious said in Intersectionality (yeah i know i'm raving on about that) energy beings animating mechanical sockpupets.
    That is how i see them. The Spark IS the actual Transformer: a sort of colony of bacteria that has the ability to convert energon in an enormeous amount of energy, that is why the Quintessons used them as the "motor" for their robot slaves. But the bacteria migrated throughout the body and transformed it into a body of living metal tissue. This is all fanfic offcourse, but in my headcannon the Quints created the Transformers in the form we know but they didnt create the Sparks or the Allspark wich they used to power Vector Sigma.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    Ambiguous. The exact origins are lost in time.. Only hints are known...

16. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    Well, I now got used to that all continuites are different. But I prefer the one with the Quintessons.

• Like Like x 1