Do you miss the G1 packaging?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Marvelboy1974, Oct 14, 2019.

1. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    The only part I'd want from G1 packaging on modern toys would be the Tech Specs and bios.

• Like Like x 3
  2. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I echo everyone else wishing for the return of proper bios and tech specs, but otherwise the thing I wish for with modern TFs is a return to everything being packaged in alt mode. I think it made for cleaner packaging design and made the first transformation a kind of surprise. Not to mention that Hasbro could dramatically scale down the size of packaging if they did this, which would be nice for the environment and shelf space.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    What about the artwork?

• Like Like x 1
  4. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland

News Credits:
    Considering he didn't list the artwork in the "only" things he wants back I would assume he doesn't want the artwork back.

5. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    The artwork is the best thing about the G1 packaging.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Pretty much this - I'm just glad we got rid of the "plain shoebox" generic style they were trying to push back in 2014. But tech spec bios were the best thing about the packaging since sometimes they were an absolute riot. I still can't recall the one for Universe 2.0 Armada Hot Shot without giggling because 1/4th of it is literally dedicated to directly referencing JaAm.

7. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A little, but not really. With G1 reissues/originals, I keep them in the box, with current product I usually open them and throw out the box. Although it would be cool to see Masterpieces in retro-G1 style boxes

• Like Like x 1
  8. Fafnir72

Fafnir72 XYxInfinity

News Credits:

I would love the return of the red/purple fonts/grid lines, tech specs, bios and the dramatic battle scenes of yore:buttrock 

• Like Like x 1
  9. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Only tech specs and bios. G1 style is great on reissues, though.

10. G1Prowl

News Credits:
    If by best you mean shittiest, I'd agree with you. The art was awful. Part of the joy of the reissues was replacing most of the artwork with Dreamwave art. I'd rather have the Universe 2.0 artist back with a stern lecture about "dull surprise".

11. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think this is a good example of how nostalgia changes our perspective. No question G1 art was interesting. On the one hand the airbrushed colours were top notch while the line art could have some very bad perspective etc. I can see why many dislike it.

I'll admit I love the G1 look. The black on Purple or red grid, That killer artwork on the back and the chromed rendering on the logo mmmmmm nice. I remember as a kid looking at it thinking this was something special and more grown up over all the super brightly coloured stuff around it.

Even the later Euro G1/G2 packing looked really premium with it's use of gold and silver/grey.

I do enjoy the current boxed deluxe toys I just wish they would ditch the 45 degree corner. it makes keeping boxes harder if I want to take the toy out.

12. elburrito

elburrito Well-Known Member

Yes. Loved the backgrounds/artwork/Bios/tech specs.

13. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

YES.

Having said that, I do think it’s smart that every line has its own unique packaging style. I also think Hasbro has improved over the years with its packaging. Siege and Earthrise look special and fun with its packaging.

If we only had G1 style packaging it would lose its specialness. On the other hand, I’m totally okay when it gets regularly used for special products.

I would buy more exclusives and special editions if they used G1 packaging on them.

14. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    It was so cool they released Ectotron in a G1 styled box.

• Like Like x 1
  15. G1Prowl

News Credits:
    That's funny, because I actually bought those toys in the 80's. Art has come a LONG way. It's like anyone holding Jack Kirby up to the same level of, say, Phil Jiminez. Kirby's art is awful. It was awful back then, it is awful now. The ONLY reason it got touted is because of the sheer volume of comics he did monthly along with breaking that whole always 6 panels thing from the Golden Age. Even so, well over half of his contemporaries from any era he was drawing in were better artists.

16. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    I don’t get what you don’t like the G1 packaging art. Or how you think Pat Lee style art is better. Using your name as an example...

C51B6407-DA0A-4B1E-85ED-0B7FF99280F9.jpeg
    F3BF519B-909A-4FFB-AB94-61F0D358C546.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  17. G1Prowl

News Credits:
    Because it is a product of its time, and is quite obsolete. Now, rather than pick the absolute best example there, why don't you try it with Windcharger? Or the Seekers? Or the monstrosity that is the box art for Wheeljack?

Or better yet, why not ask yourself why you think it's alright to "correct" my art preferences and opinions?

18. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don’t really miss it. We still get to see it by way of the G1 reissues. And, I’d like for the G1 packaging to remain special and generally limited to G1 reissues. An occasional retro packaged modern toy might be fun, but, I don’t think I’d want an entire line of them. Maybe Hasbro could release a few MPs in G1 packaging.

19. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Lord High Governor

News Credits:
    Yeah, I also miss Tech Specs + profiles. Those were one of the best parts about buying TF toys, was learning about their abilities and personality.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

I have to say I like both.

Unexpectedly seeing Ecto-tron in a shop lately, I was reminded how magical those G1 boxes were. From the fantastic character art, to the battle scenes on the reverse of the box, to reading the tech specs which immediately breathed life into any new G1 character you'd come across.